Curvy gals...really curvy gals

Cripes! She looks like a female NFL player.

:ROFLMAO: :LOL:

But then, she would be appealing to others of a more beefy type. I think there is a lot more to a relationship than just physical "stuff". :blush: However, I am a frail guy, and I do not want to get hurt by my woman. :angel:

I think we'd better stop here. What are you gonna do next? Show pictures of a skinny guy to make fun of? :greetings10:

I realize this is a thread about women, but it's funny how we mention the size of women's clothing...too small, just right, too large. Hmmm....I wonder if we should talk about the size of men's..ummm, nm. :whistle:
BBB, beware of what you wish for....Anyway, more than a few of the posters will cheat:LOL: Not me -I´m your typical honest guy:D

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Well, at least Serena has great muscle tone. That's positive isn't it?:whistle:

BBB, beware of what you wish for....Anyway, more than a few of the posters will cheat:LOL: Not me -I´m your typical honest guy:D
You mean to tell me people will cheat or fabricate on the internet? Why...that's crazy talk! :LOL:

Ooohhh... This is going to cause a furor! Just saw this in my copy of Time, Jan 18, 2010 issue. :hide:

"Letting fatties roam the site is a direct threat to our business model." Robert Hintze, founder of the dating site BeautifulPeople.com, which has removed 5,000 of its members for appearing in photographs to have gained weight over the holidays.​

I never heard about this site, but how can they reliably tell the weight from pictures? What are the requirements? Anyone knows? And before anyone gets excited, there is no mention of the sexes of the expelled members. :hide:

I just wish that various role models would be honest about what they weigh. I remember several years back seeing a Miss America contestant announce that she was five-foot-seven and weighed 107 lbs. Frankly, I don't believe it!

I'm a little over 5'7", and even when I was a skinny schoolgirl I weighed 120 lbs. I've seen photos of me at 118# and believe me, I didn't look like Miss America! I was gaunt. The beginning of my freshman year at college, after 6 weeks in NYC, all four wisdom teeth out at once, and my introduction to dorm food, I came home in November down to 112 pounds—"scary skinny", as the tabloids call it. My mom hauled me off to the doctor, who gave me a prescription to take milk from the cafeteria so I could make Instant Breakfast in my dorm room and put some meat back on my bones. And I was still five pounds heavier than this contestant said she was!

IMO, she was either several inches shorter than claimed, or at least 10-15 lbs heavier, which would be a healthy weight for that height. But as a result of her claim, there will be some teenage girls who think they have to weigh 107 lbs at 5' 7" to look great. No wonder eating disorders are rife.

As I stood waiting in line at Walmart this afternoon staring at the trash magazines with covers of pretty models and teasing with stories of "How [insert semi-famous celebrity here] lost 18 pounds in 3 weeks", I realized the tiny models airbrushed even skinnier could lead impressionable minds to form unrealistic images of what their bodies should look like. Showing a picture of a celeb that just had a baby and using Photoshop to make her look 20 lbs lighter and then proclaiming she has secrets of post-partum weight loss makes regular women who gave birth recently feel inadequate (but they buy the magazine obviously).

I was reluctant to click on this thread thinking the curvy women would look more like the below pic. But I certainly wouldn't mind having a cheeseburger with the girls in the initial thread post.

Attachments

• very-fat-woman-eating.jpg
    very-fat-woman-eating.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1
Sorry, folks, but using my own tall and well proportioned build as the datum :blush:,
...the alleged Miss Size 16 is probably closer to a size 20.
...the alleged Miss Size 12 is much closer to a size 18 (my own size).

I used to sew all my clothes, so I know womens' sizes.

This thread is a real eye-opener, guys. Good stuff. :)

Freebird, how tall are you? At 5'2 and a size 4/6, I was amazed at how large the sizes listed were in the article - especially the pic of the three women (off the rack sizing, not pattern sizes - I sew too - and pattern wise, I am a 8/10/12) I see clothes in the "women's" section, and those ladies pictured seem to be a bit small for them!

I am 5'7", 175 lbs, and built solid from years of playing sports. Not muscular, just well toned except for a few problem areas. :blush:
My size at weight 135 in high school was size 14/16. My size now is 18.
I am not overweight, just curvy.

For a petite woman, yes, the sizes would seem big.

For larger gals like me, the sizes in the pic were too low for WOMENS sizes, not misses. Once the size goes above 16, it's a whole new world.
Remember womens' sizes have a lot more to do with bust measurements, shoulder breadth and arm length than misses' sizes under 16.

There is some kind of a disconnect and/or size creep in women's clothing sizes, both commercial and for home sewing. Until my late twenties, my measurements said I was a size ten, and when I sewed something using a size ten pattern, it fit. I used to wear a size ten in jeans, too. During my thirties I gradually put on quite a bit of weight, but still fit into size ten jeans almost up to 160 lbs (although they were uncomfortably tight in the waist, they still fit in the hips which is where most of the weight went). Sometime in there I decided to make a dress. Going by my measurements, I used a size 16, but when the dress was made up, it was much too large. Then in 2002, I lost most of the weight I had put on. When I got back down to 128, I fit a size six in jeans instead of the size ten I had worn at the same weight fifteen or twenty years earlier. I now weigh around 140 and still fit comfortably into my old size ten jeans. I have no idea what size I wear in a home sewing pattern. The last thing I made, I used a size 12 based on my measurements, and again ended up with a garment that was much too large. It wasn't supposed to be a snugly fitted style, but what I ended up with wasn't just "relaxed", it was way oversized. Maybe I will just need to draft my own patterns to get anything that fits. I took a class in pattern drafting back in college and still have my old textbook—it's not hard to do.

All the photos in the original OP have been Photoshopped out the wazoo. For the originals, you do have to go people of walmart already mentioned.

Hard to tell about weight and size. I was a size 10 in high school at 140. Then, in my 50's, I started lifting weights and walking/sprinting 3 miles 3-4X a week, plus, other exercises. I weighed 165 wearing a smaller 10 or size 8. Muscle weighs more than fat.

Hard to tell about weight and size. I was a size 10 in high school at 140. Then, in my 50's, I started lifting weights and walking/sprinting 3 miles 3-4X a week, plus, other exercises. I weighed 165 wearing a smaller 10 or size 8. Muscle weighs more than fat.

Yup. I started hitting the gym 3 to 5 times a week 2 years ago because i wanted to lose weight. Started at 187# at 5'11". Weighed in at a few ounces short of 200# this morning after my workout. Same waist measurement (36"). Yeah, I have a few pounds in places I would not prefer, but I would be fairly surprised if I had not gained 20 to 25# of muscle in the past 2 years.

The fun part is when I had to take my bitchy..I mean, "critically-eyed" nieces to look at my weight on the scale and my clothes in the closet to verify my weight and clothing size. Nobody ever believed I really weighed that much wearing that size, but I did. I even remember a couple dates I had back then that made me turn around (to look at my posterior for excess, but there was none)...ha!ha!
One reason I want to go back to lifting weights...plus, it's fun for some of us. Looks like Brewer's one...good for him!

I don't know what weight alone is an issue.........for me, I like "proportion"...........:)

What's that song" "baby Got Back"??

"36-24-36", and five two"..........

Back
Top Bottom