custom-sized clear plastic boxes

broadway

Full time employment: Posting here.
I am trying to find clear boxes 10" x 4" x 1.5" in size.
Small quantities.

I don't have tools to cut plastic.

Sounds like craft supply, tackle supply, or auto parts supply to me.

I need some bins/boxes that are 10-11.5"w, approx 48"L, and approx 7" high. It's an unusual ratio. I haven't yet found a site that has lots of brands and has an effective "sort by dimensions" function. Still searching . . .

I buy the kind where you insert dividers as you see fit.

Yes, but the ones I have have two rows of permanent dividers and dividers that I can insert to subdivide the two rows into small compartments.

I need some bins/boxes that are 10-11.5"w, approx 48"L, and approx 7" high.
The plastic boxes I have seen in my search are nowhere near the 48" inches you require for one of your dimensions.

I need some bins/boxes that are 10-11.5"w, approx 48"L, and approx 7" high. It's an unusual ratio. I haven't yet found a site that has lots of brands and has an effective "sort by dimensions" function. Still searching . . .
Not sure how strong or beautiful these need to be, but I've made custom sizes by cutting down a larger bin and using a soldering gun to "weld" it back together.

Not sure how strong or beautiful these need to be, but I've made custom sizes by cutting down a larger bin and using a soldering gun to "weld" it back together.
Well, it would be fun even if it doesn't work out. :)

There's also a clear epoxy (I think made by the same company that makes JB Weld) which works well on plastic.

And, there's always duct tape :)

I am trying to find clear boxes 10" x 4" x 1.5" in size. Small quantities.

You might look at the "Really Useful Box" line sold at Office Depot and Office Max (I think they're available on Amazon too)?

They are really nice boxes in a variety of sizes, with latching lids. I like them because they have straight sides so you can line up multiple containers on a shelf without wasting all the space between boxes with sloping sides. They're also quite sturdy.

I used lots of them for a small parts storage cabinet in my garage Building a Small Parts Cabinet

You might look at the "Really Useful Box" line sold at Office Depot and Office Max (I think they're available on Amazon too)?

They are really nice boxes in a variety of sizes, with latching lids. I like them because they have straight sides so you can line up multiple containers on a shelf without wasting all the space between boxes with sloping sides. They're also quite sturdy.

I used lots of them for a small parts storage cabinet in my garage Building a Small Parts Cabinet

Wow. That parts cabinet looks very nice!

I have the Really Useful Box boxes for storing DVDs. Really nice.
Their 2.5L box would be perfect but are pricey at $12.99 at Staples.

Wow. That parts cabinet looks very nice!
I have the Really Useful Box boxes for storing DVDs. Really nice.
Their 2.5L box would be perfect but are pricey at $12.99 at Staples.

Thanks! Yeah, the Really Useful Boxes are a bit on the pricey side, but they're well made. I looked at lots of different boxes, but these were the only ones that had the sizes I wanted with the style I wanted. I found the boxes were actually cheaper in my local store than what they are listed for online. I spent about a month buying up the stock each store had on hand, and waiting till they restocked. :)

Another option are the Rubbermaid modular food containers. I use the 5 and 10 cup sizes in my office to store USB cables, power cords, chargers, etc. They're not as clear and don't come in the smaller sizes I wanted for the garage, but I like them for the same reasons: https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-5-Cup-Dry-Food-Container/dp/B003BH0090

I also have some Snapware containers in our laundry room that are fairly modular too. I use them to keep light bulbs, a few hand tools, etc. in: https://www.amazon.com/Snapware-Airtight-Rectangle-Storage-Container/dp/B004173QZO

The Snapware container you linked would work very nicely.

However, I am going to my local Target stores and look for their Room Essentials version of the Sterilite 1961 Small Clip Box - just $2.99. Can't beat the price! :)

OP, thanks for starting this thread. I am a box/container lover and some of these links were new to me.

I went to my local Target's today and purchased the Sterilite Small Clip Box #1961. When I got home, I realized the longest useful dimension of the box is 8-7/8" rather than the 11" stated as the size. They probably used the lid as the size, but even their 11" is wrong. It is closer to 10-3/4" when I measured with my ruler. Oh well. The search goes on. Strange that the turquoise latch box was $2.99 versus the green latch box at $3.49.

I will have to pay a visit to the Container Store the next time I am in Manhattan.

Back
Top Bottom