Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-18-2021, 08:05 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
We have frequent internet outages with CenturyLink so I'm familiar with their phone interface. I love that after I have identified as having no internet service they tell me chat is a faster option.

You could chat on your smart phone, correct?
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2021, 08:28 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
You could chat on your smart phone, correct?
No. Our cell signal is weak and needs Wi-Fi for reception. ATT used to provide a separate box which worked well qt home but we seldom had service outside our home. Verizon has better service but at home their solution is to use wifi calling which doesn't work without internet.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:30 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
No. Our cell signal is weak and needs Wi-Fi for reception. ATT used to provide a separate box which worked well qt home but we seldom had service outside our home. Verizon has better service but at home their solution is to use wifi calling which doesn't work without internet.

That's a big bummer....
Old 06-18-2021, 04:32 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
I have discovered that using the CHAT option when contacting for customer service is almost always faster and better results than talking to a live agent.
I wish that was true for most of the CSR issues I have had as of late. Seems like after 10 minutes on "chat" hold and then 30 minutes of conversation, they tell me I need to call so I can verify who I am.

-Edit...look at that...5,000 posts today and I have been "awarded" the 7 stars.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:12 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

No one should ever suffer the agonies of dealing with Lazboy furniture. After my journey started, I found over 500 BBB complaints and a Facebook group with over 1,000 unhappy customers.

We ordered and received a power recliner. First problem was it was delivered with no remote. Finally got that in mail and husband using Youtube was able to set it up. Second bigger problem was something causing the chair to violently rock when trying to sit or rise up out of the chair. Husband still accepted it since they said a warranty person would fix it. NONONONONO.

First appointment, the technician said there was no problem. Very rude and condescending. Got BBB involved and submitted a video and photos, etc. Got a second appt with person #2 and he confirmed the base was not attached to the chair and had missing screws which had to be ordered. Parts ordered, received and second appointment made.

Third appointment and person #1 said wrong parts were received. Had to order the right ones. "No you cannot make an appointment now but have to wait for the parts and call us." Got the parts and got an appointment. Confirmed the day before and no one showed up. Got the company involved and an appointment set for 3 days later. Confirmed the day before and NO ONE SHOWED UP AGAIN.

Lazyboy must be tired of the issues since they are going to replace the chair. BUT WONT BE HERE UNTIL FEB 2022. Every time I sent info to BBB, Lazyboy via email, and via Facebook.

Note all the appointments were from 45 to 60 days apart and they would not make any sooner.

Whole thing started August 2020 and may not be resolved until FEb. 2022. I seriously doubt the viability of the whole company with what is happening.
sweetana3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:55 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
There are 2 very popular delis in my town, "P" and "K." I didn't go to P's because after a change in ownership they were always less than friendly. Alas, 2 straight bad experiences with K - the 2nd being food poisoning - I sucked it up and went to P. The owner saw us come in, and was on the phone and no one was behind the counter, although we could hear the workers in the back of the store. We waited a few minutes then told her we'd like some help. She shooed us away 'coz she was on the phone, so we called out to the workers in the back if someone could help us. The owner then started to complain to us about being pushy customers. We, too, walked out and gave a bad review on Yelp. I now drive 7 miles to our new, now-favorite, deli.
Seems like a good spot to open a deli!
Old 06-22-2021, 05:13 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Another "service" that is not: OptumRx (United Health Care's mailorder pharmacy).

OptumRx is possibly the most incompetent group I've ever dealt with.

I saw my physician this month and he renewed some prescrriptions - through OptumRx. I got voicemail from OptumRx wanting confirmation that the precriptions were for me. I called them back and entered the reference number; to which they replied that I had no prescriptions on file - the day after calling me for confirmation of a prescription!

I used the physician's online prescription refill request yesterday, with the the one I have the least of to be filled at the closest drugstore and the other one by mail with OptumRx. Today I have two emails: one from the drugstore with "Your Rx is ready"; the other from OptumRx with "Your doctor needs to contact us". Sorry, but a prescription from his office IS contacting you.

I'm not sure the people at OptumRx would recognize "incompetent" and "stupid" might have more syllables than they can process at one time...
papaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:38 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
I understand that. I feel that when the 1st order was screwed up, & I took the time to report it (in detail) to a Walmart rep, they should've contacted the 3rd party seller. They most certainly should have after it happened a 2nd time & I again reported it in detail.

Apparently, they never even attempted to.
I've had the same kind of thing thing happen with Amazon. Frustrating.
FWIW- From my recent experiences WalMart.com is generally more reliable (and often cheaper) than Amazon these days. And if I have a problem there is a local store with real people to resolve the issue. Amazon just ain't what it used to be.......
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:03 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I think what we are seeing with Amazon is major HR issues. They offer low-quality, low-paid work with no career path (at least at Walmart or McD, you can become a manager, which looks better on a resume than in real life). And they need tons of such people. And they can't outsource to the third world.

Meanwhile, retail and other low-paid employees have been saying "No, thanks, you can keep your abuse; I'm doing something else (or nothing at all)."

Until Amazon improves its relationship with labor (or manages to automate everything), customer service will keep going downhill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
FWIW- From my recent experiences WalMart.com is generally more reliable (and often cheaper) than Amazon these days. And if I have a problem there is a local store with real people to resolve the issue. Amazon just ain't what it used to be.......
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:12 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I think what we are seeing with Amazon is major HR issues. They offer low-quality, low-paid work with no career path (at least at Walmart or McD, you can become a manager, which looks better on a resume than in real life). And they need tons of such people. And they can't outsource to the third world.

Meanwhile, retail and other low-paid employees have been saying "No, thanks, you can keep your abuse; I'm doing something else (or nothing at all)."

Until Amazon improves its relationship with labor (or manages to automate everything), customer service will keep going downhill.

It's pretty ironic that Walmart got such bad rap for employee treatment and now the "golden boy" of retail is such a whip cracker. You don't see much complaining in the press about Mr B.

In over a year of Walmart grocery pickup I have never since one employee without a great attitude and saying you have a good day on my way out.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:29 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
+1
While Amazon may have the best price from time to time, just like any other merchant, they are no longer one of the price leaders of years ago. Today they are about convenience and their vast inventory of just about anything. The other day I ordered an item direct from the manufacturer for 30% off the regular price and free shipping. I saved a good $33 over Amazon. If it wasn't for Prime Video which I use often since I don't have cable, I would cancel Prime in New York Minute.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
customer service
Old 06-24-2021, 10:28 AM   #52
Dryer sheet aficionado

customer service

Sadly it is the times. Soon we will be dealing with vending machines. I received an email from Amazon telling me my review was not following guidelines and that this was considered "first" warning! WARNING! For what? Kick me off Amazon!! The thing is I have not reviewed a product for months. I haven't a clue what they were talking about! I wrote a response back thrashing them with their poor theory to customer service and suggestions to improve their communications. What it get me? NOTHING. A loss of my time. So I went to Wal-marts online and tried that online experience. I was ok with the shopping but again, so many simple problems. Like letting me put a whole banquet worth of food in my cart then upon checkout say most was not available. Hours spent doing the order only to find they do not run real time inventory. Go inside and find shelves near empty, self checkout only. I wrote a email to Walmart asking questions about local delivery. Whoever answered tried but could not seem to understand my questions. I spoke with a friend who works customer service at a ski resort and she said they are so abused by customers shouting and getting angry that it is difficult to stay friendly. As she put it I have the authority to refund money but when people treat me with such disrespect, I won't do anything for them. So what's a person to do? I stopped buying as much. To difficult.
folly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:02 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by folly View Post
Sadly it is the times. Soon we will be dealing with vending machines. I received an email from Amazon telling me my review was not following guidelines and that this was considered "first" warning! WARNING! For what? Kick me off Amazon!! The thing is I have not reviewed a product for months. I haven't a clue what they were talking about! ......................I spoke with a friend who works customer service at a ski resort and she said they are so abused by customers shouting and getting angry that it is difficult to stay friendly. As she put it I have the authority to refund money but when people treat me with such disrespect, I won't do anything for them. So what's a person to do? I stopped buying as much. To difficult.
Several years ago, IN RESPIONSE TO AMAZON'S AUTOMATED INVITE TO WRITE A REVIEW, I wrote a critical review and my review was similarly rejected. As to the friend from customer service, my experience has been that being courteous gets me nowhere. I still start with the polite and courteous up-the-chain-of-command, but being nice gets nowhere with the lower rung customer service people. Invariably, t takes a call or email to a higher-up, with a minimum firm tone, to have any chance of getting any "service."
mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:26 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by folly View Post
I spoke with a friend who works customer service at a ski resort and she said they are so abused by customers shouting and getting angry that it is difficult to stay friendly. As she put it I have the authority to refund money but when people treat me with such disrespect, I won't do anything for them.
I've worked decades at our local ski resort (skipro33 is Ski Pro 33, I'm a ski instructor) and our business model is that if a customer is mad, it's totally our responsibility to make it right. I've had guests complain that their little cherub dropped a glove off a chairlift and what was I going to do about it? I ask them their name and tell them mine. Then I use their name to add some personal contact. Hard to stay mad at Jerry, not so hard to stay mad at the lazy so and so employee... I will take them to lost and found, and find them at least a glove, if not a pair that will fit for the day. Then I'll tell take a photo of the remaining glove and get their contact info. If the mate shows up in lost and found, it'll get matched up and they'll be contacted. Now, if any of that actually happens about the lost glove, I can't say. What I can say is the customer is no longer mad. I then hand them my card and mark on the back 10% off their next ski lesson if they ask for me. This gets them to open their wallet to put the card away. Usually that's a trigger to give me a tip. We can't ask for tips, but we can use subtle methods like that to remind them that tips are appreciated.
The point is; management should empower their employees to make the customers, if not happy, at least not mad at you for them having a bad day. Remember, most of these folks have spent thousands of dollars for a family vacation to have fun. My job is not to teach them how to ski, my job is to make sure they think they got their money's worth of fun for the day.
Another example; when lines are long either at the lodge or lift lines, we bring out carts of free hot chocolate and cookies. Or mini bottled water if it's warm. Even hand out tissues. Then we start tossing granola bars. Most of the bars, cookies, chocolate are promo items from vendors given the resort for free, or stuff nearing expiration dates that would be needed to be tossed soon. If we run out, then free stickers to put on their car. A disgruntled guest ends up putting free advertising on their car. Ha! We even have freebees for folks who don't mad dash the parking lot exit at the end of the day; free prepared foods that would get tossed; pizza slices and such. Hang back and we make it worth the time not to sit in line to exit and end your day unhappy.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:14 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
The point is; management should empower their employees to make the customers, if not happy, at least not mad at you for them having a bad day.
"Empower" is the key word here. People in Customer Service who are given a script, not allowed to deviate from any procedures and are measured on how many customers they process in an hour are not going to be very good and it's not a reflection on them but on their employers.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:09 PM   #56

It seems like every customer service line I have to call these days has the "our call volume is extremely high and wait times will be affected" message. I posted elsewhere that I recently spent 45 minutes on hold with Pella doors and windows only to be told by the customer service person who finally answered that she had to transfer me and it would be another hour on hold. Are we still blaming covid for this and/or why does everyone seem to have so few customer service people these days?
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:36 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
"Empower" is the key word here. People in Customer Service who are given a script, not allowed to deviate from any procedures and are measured on how many customers they process in an hour are not going to be very good and it's not a reflection on them but on their employers.
I seriously wonder where today's management went to get their education. It's like customer service is to be deliberately berated. The resort I work was bought out from a mom and pop operation by George Gillette Jr. In 1985, Gillett acquired Vail Associates' Vail and Beaver Creek ski resorts. He would often ride chairlifts and greet guests, and launched a massive installation of high-speed detachable chairlifts. Gillett also supported major alpine ski events at a time when most ski areas in America declined to host international races, starting with the 1989 World Alpine Ski Championships, and through his support hosted the 1999 World Alpine Ski Championships. Gillett's companies sought Chapter 11 protection in 1992, as higher interest rates penalised junk bond issuers. In 1996, his two sons asked him how to make money and he formed Booth Creek Ski Holdings Inc., acquiring or building a range of ski resorts in New Hampshire, California, Washington and Wyoming. He later bought Grand Targhee Ski and Summer Resort, together with several golf courses. Booth Creek continues to operate Sierra-at-Tahoe, where I worked. He also owns TV and radio stations as well as several meat processing plants.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote