Cutting Back

We're still planning to take our usual number of RV trips this year. We justify it by focusing on the difference between this year's trip's cost and last year's trip's costs - not the total cost of this year's trips. (Try saying that fast 3 times).

Then we just relax and enjoy. But yes, we do combine more errands in our day-to-day life. Otherwise our needs have always been simple anyway.

Not really due to the stock market, more because of inflation and greater LBYM determination. We are:

-driving less and getting better mileage (driving speed limit, using cruise control, tires properly inflated),
- eating out less often and at less expensive restaurants, and
- preparing more basic meals (less expensive ingredients) at home.

Don't feel the least bit deprived either, actually feel good about it...

The only area we have cut back on is gas purchases, $280 for the year so far. That's for two big V8 vehicles. DW still has 3/4 of a tank that I bought her back in early May. I'm at 1/4 tank and it's been 47 days since my last fill up. :D Right now we are averaging 7 cups of gas/day.

Hobby expenditures are up, lots of fun stuff going on in the yard and when I get tired puttering around outside I move into my shop. Right now I'm restoring a 1952 Evinrude outboard motor that belonged to my great uncle. It's interesting that people could actually build a product without any plastic parts and use real screws to hold it all together. :rolleyes:

Is anybody cutting back on expenses due to the stock market and the economy ? I'm a little hesitant to spend a lot on travel right now which I wonder if it is foolish . I'm way under the 4% and I'm not getting any younger . Are other members doing the same ?

The way I see it "vacation money" is "gone money" whether the stock market is up or down. Shouldn't matter.

Airfare is up, but condo/hotel rates are actually steady I've found & a lot of specials running - probably due to less people travelling.

On the other hand, we are being more conscientious as to our "at home" spending - gas, eating out, discretionary purchases at WalMart & the mall, etc (mostly due to inflation)

Not so much cutting back as keeping a careful eye on what is spent and for what - being more "value oriented" and trying to combine trips to avoid "cold starts" which eats a lot of gas. Some entertainment is being reduced but we did go to a local dinner theater last night.

Hobby expenditures are up, lots of fun stuff going on in the yard and when I get tired puttering around outside I move into my shop. Right now I'm restoring a 1952 Evinrude outboard motor that belonged to my great uncle. It's interesting that people could actually build a product without any plastic parts and use real screws to hold it all together. :rolleyes:
One "hobby" I've taken up lately is throwing up some TV antennas and tweaking to improve the digital/HD signals. We're 60 direct miles away from the towers and there's a lot of hills between us, so it's a challenge. I've also started looking to other directions which may be even more of a challenge. I find it fun to figure everything out, and fine tune everything. Plus, at some point we may decide we don't want to pay for the satellite service any more -- perhaps if my j*b situation changed and we had to live on a lot less -- and we'd be prepared for that if so.

So in reality, this "hobby" isn't to cut back per se, but to help us be able to if it did hit the fan. I don't buy into the doom and gloom, but there's nothing wrong with preparing yourself for it as long as you don't become paralyzed by fear over it...

Thanks all for your comments . I guess I should loosen my purse strings a little as I'm way under 4% more like 2% and my little ebay selling hobby is chugging along and making money.

Back
Top Bottom