Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Cutting my own hair and your advice
Old 02-04-2023, 03:25 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Cutting my own hair and your advice

Today was the second time cutting my hair with the Wahl clipper. He is my thoughts and look for your advice.

Clipper length - location - thoughts
3 - lower half of sides - possibly the easiest part
4 - top half of sides - easy but Ned to work on evening the top portion, making it a straight line across
8 - top of head - harder; try to use clipper over comb but not great at it yet
2 - sideburns - easy

Top of the head is the hardest part for me. I want to keep it just long enough to part the hair while still somewhat short.

FYI, Wahl clippers are a great price and after 2 haircuts they already paid for themselves!

It's a great way to save time and money. Any advice from people who cut their own hair?
FIREarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2023, 03:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I cut my own hair.

With a razor.

In the shower.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 03:58 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've been using Wahl clippers for about 18 years now-on my second set of clippers. I used to just go with #2 all the way around because I was tired of the maintenance but DW said she likes it longer so I'm back to something longer with a part on the side. Still short on the sides.

My hair is different from most though. It's very thick and straight and stands up on top of my head even when it's two inches long. I use an unscented pomade just to hold it down.

I start with a #6 (sometimes 8) on top and #5 down the sides all the way to #!. The hardest part is the back since I can't see. I just check it at the end with a hand mirror and make adjustments if I need to. Trimming around the ears is delicate too.

I can see it being difficult with thinner hair that is long. I think they still make the Flowbee.

I like the money I save but mostly it's about the convenience of not having to make an appointment and show up at a particular time. I can just cut my hair any time I feel like it. These days during retirement any single event ruins my whole day of doing nothing.

I do miss the shampoos though. Of course I probably save enough for a whole body massage if I want to.
Guamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 04:39 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I just bought a Wahl on the advice of my stylist. I had gotten lazy and let my beard grow out too long. Using my usual razor to get rid of it was a hassle and I mentioned it during a haircut. She pulled out a small rechargeable Wahl and said, “Try one of these maybe?”. I did and the result was perfect and fast. Money well spent. I leave the hair on top to the pro (also money well spent).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 04:44 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm with you. I hate waiting at the shop and never getting the same cut twice. I did mine today. #5 up top tapering into #1 near the bottom and around ears. I like the left and right tapered guards down low. The rear is definitely a challenge, got the swirl going on there and can't see until after it's cut. Comes out a little choppy sometimes, but I can't see it so I don't care and it grows out fast anyway. Looks fine when I am coming at you and kiss my @#$! when I am walking away .
Old 02-04-2023, 05:18 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I have DW do it.
She uses the longest one for my head, and the ear ones.

I tried the shorter one once for a buzz cut, but she didn't like it.

We are on our second Wahl now, saved some $$ and time by not going to a place.
Old 02-04-2023, 05:18 PM   #7

How do you guys cut the edges? I’m talking about around the ears and the back of the neck. When I get my hair cut, the stylist draws a straight line across the back of my neck and then clips back some of my back hair to below my shirt line. I’ve thought about doing my own, but can’t figure out how to do that part.
Old 02-04-2023, 05:47 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
How do you guys cut the edges? I’m talking about around the ears and the back of the neck. When I get my hair cut, the stylist draws a straight line across the back of my neck and then clips back some of my back hair to below my shirt line. I’ve thought about doing my own, but can’t figure out how to do that part.
At this point I've cut my hair at the edge using the #1. I take the guard off and I listen as I move the clippers up to the edge of the hair line. I can hear when it starts trimming and stop quickly after that. It's not nearly as good as a pro but it has always been good enough for me. A check in the mirror shows if I did anything crazy but after so many years of doing it I've gotten fairly good at it.
Guamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 06:21 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

One inch all the way around. Every two weeks works good for me and it's cheap. Lol
Here is a picture of the inch buss can't find any other picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4233 (2).jpg (108.8 KB, 49 views)
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 06:24 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post

I use a #2 all over and then a #1 on the area just above my ears and on the top of my head. Then I take off the guard and draw the straight line across my neck and then down to some of that damned back hair. The older I get, the stranger the places that hair wants to grow. I use the unguarded shaver also to trim ear hair and nose hair. A small scissors for crazy eyebrow hair, and I'm done.
Trailwalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 06:29 PM   #11

I gave up haircuts in 2007 when the "widows peaks" got to be ridiculous and switched to the razor bald man shave. Shortly after retiring I got tired of spending so much on razors. I went through several electric clippers and they all crapped out on me rather quickly. I found one for less than $20 at harbor freight and figured that if I got two haircuts it would pay for itself. It's been over a year and it still works. I just set it on the shortest setting and do the entire head and face about once a week... just before turning the shower on, to wash the mess away.

I have to borrow a hand mirror and hang it on the shower rod to see what I'm doing. I couldn't imagine trying to taper the length myself...
Old 02-04-2023, 06:46 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I also use the Wahl Clippers ever since the Covid lock down.

My skill level has improved many times over since my first attempt and I like the result. However, I do have difficulty seeing my neck and back area, so wife touches it up for me. I try to manage a fade style using a #3, then#2, and #'s 1 and 1/2 around the ears.

BY the way, I hate waiting for a HC and making an appointment so this works for me.
Healthy Lifestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 07:45 PM   #13

I take a pair of scissors, cut it as short as I can, and repeat maybe 7 or 8 weeks later.

Been doing this for about 13 years. Took a few times to get competent at it.
Mr. Tightwad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 07:59 PM   #14

I do easy, #5 all over. Do it myself and just go all around different directions until it's all cut to length. Have DW trim back neckline and around ears. Been saving money for many years.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 05:06 AM   #15

Cut my hair during covid but no more.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:31 AM   #16

I can't imagine trying to edge or fade, as it sounds like you're going shorter in the back and longer on top. I was using the Remington clippers pictured below to trim my head to stubble, but when I lost it I decided to get a shaver, and so far I really like shaving my head with the Aidalls Wellup. It actually feels less trouble to do that every day or two than to clipper it every 4 or 5 days. I started clipping my own hair with a regular cordless clipper (like a Wahl) and a #2 or 3 guard, and originally I missed spots in the back. The curved Remington helped a lot with that, it would be good if you wanted to clip your hair to one length.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Remington curved clippers.jpg (203.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-05-2023, 05:37 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Cut my hair during covid but no more.
During Covid, I let it grow and trimmed it with DW's help. With a really nice full head of hair, I go to my barber of 30 years. Still has his own shop and he is an Icon in the community.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:06 AM   #18

I've been using a Flowbee for 35 years. It's kind of a pain to plug it in, and also plug in the vacuum, but I don't even need a mirror and get a consistent result. The part I like the least is shaving my neck with the electric clippers...the hair isn't disposed of like it is with the Flowbee.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 06:22 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I've been using a Flowbee for 35 years. It's kind of a pain to plug it in, and also plug in the vacuum, but I don't even need a mirror and get a consistent result. The part I like the least is shaving my neck with the electric clippers...the hair isn't disposed of like it is with the Flowbee.
I have always been intrigued with the Flowbee. Can you do one inch length with one all an overall length?
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 06:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREarly View Post
Top of the head is the hardest part for me. I want to keep it just long enough to part the hair while still somewhat short.
For the top of my head, I have use my Wahl in all directions to get an even cut - with the grain, against the grain, across the grain - grain meaning the direction in which I comb my hair. Sides and back are easy - I just go against the grain, but the top, I have to go in all directions.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clipper, hair, haircut, money, save