Join Early Retirement Today

Daily vent
Old 06-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Daily vent

Ever since I made the decision to retire next year, I've been noticing irritants both big and small in the workplace. My boss has become a "ditherer". He nitpicks on the most inconsequential things and feels that every single thing he does is more important than anything or anyone else. It gets nearly impossible to meet deadlines for critical grant and award applications, because he'll suddenly insist that our staff organize a going away party for someone who is leaving in 2 months or they have to drop everything to find someone's phone number online.

I haven't had a meeting in months that he hasn't barged in on for something stupid. I was in the process of firing someone (which he knew about) and he burst in and asked me to ask our receptionist to make coffee! He had to walk right by her to get to my office!

He turned 65 this year and I wish we could force him to retire, but we can't. Good thing I am!

Ok.....rant off
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
He turned 65 this year ...
You have to make special allowance for people that old.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Lol! In his case, it's not so much as an allowance as a per diem.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Ouch....

Quote:
Ever since I made the decision to retire next year, I've been noticing irritants both big and small in the workplace. My boss has become a "ditherer". He nitpicks on the most inconsequential things and feels that every single thing he does is more important than anything or anyone else. It gets nearly impossible to meet deadlines for critical grant and award applications, because he'll suddenly insist that our staff organize a going away party for someone who is leaving in 2 months or they have to drop everything to find someone's phone number online.

I haven't had a meeting in months that he hasn't barged in on for something stupid. I was in the process of firing someone (which he knew about) and he burst in and asked me to ask our receptionist to make coffee! He had to walk right by her to get to my office!

He turned 65 this year and I wish we could force him to retire, but we can't. Good thing I am!

Ok.....rant off
The next time he invites himself to a meeting, stop the meeting, every so politely ask him what he wants, and tell him you'll speak with him after the meeting. And then say absolutely nothing until he leaves. If he hangs around, ask if there is something else he wants because you'd like to finish your meeting.

OR

Blow it off as his having really bad manners, apologize to the attendees for having their meeting interrupted, and know it's just one more year. If you have an HR department, maybe it's time to quietly chat with them about his erratic behavior.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ok.....rant off
Sounds like an early stage of memory disorder..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
Ouch....

Blow it off as his having really bad manners, apologize to the attendees for having their meeting interrupted, and know it's just one more year. If you have an HR department, maybe it's time to quietly chat with them about his erratic behavior.

I am the HR department. Sigh....
Old 06-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Sounds like an early stage of memory disorder..........

You know, we have sort of thought of that. His behavior has changed a lot over the last couple of years. He's acting like a spoiled diva (divo?) and he's very self-centred. If he thinks his world is spiralling out of control, maybe his nitpicking is his way of keeping control.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ever since I made the decision to retire next year, I've been noticing irritants both big and small in the workplace.
The founder of this board, Dory36, used to say that you carry two buckets through the workplace. One is the "FI" (financial independence) bucket and the other is the "BS" (BS) bucket.

Both buckets usually fill slowly, although you occasionally get to empty out some of the BS bucket by rolling it downhill or dumping it on a screen.

However once your FI bucket is full, the BS bucket fills much more quickly and soon overflows.

That's how you know it's time to go.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep, sounds like you are ready to retire. The closer you get, the more irritating the work world gets and the shorter your fuse. That's been my experience anyway.
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I do like East Texas' first suggestion. It sets boundaries but is respectful.

He may well be exhibiting a thinking disorder but as both you and I know you shouldn't raise the specter of ADA. Consider discussing the change you are seeing with a manager one or two levels above him in your chain of command and ask for 'guidance'. Have in mind one or two options if they ask "what do you suggest" and as you are in HR perhaps researching his exit paths may be on your to-do list (but if you are in a large org another HR Manager should take on that task).

I have seen situations where a manager is presented with two documents: an accurate (bad) performance report or retirement paperwork. Sign one.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The founder of this board, Dory36, used to say that you carry two buckets through the workplace. One is the "FI" (financial independence) bucket and the other is the "BS" (BS) bucket.

Both buckets usually fill slowly, although you occasionally get to empty out some of the BS bucket by rolling it downhill or dumping it on a screen.

However once your FI bucket is full, the BS bucket fills much more quickly and soon overflows.

That's how you know it's time to go.
One of my favorites of all time. Dory sure nailed it, and I've used the analogy many times since reading it lo those many years ago.

The original: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ing-20605.html

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote