Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I rarely watch "Dancing with the stars " but frankly the thought of a major political figure & their families sinking to reality TV is nauseating ! What's next a cameo on "Jersey Shore " ?
Well, apparently you haven't seen the PSA w/ Bristol and the "Situation" on safe sex then!

Hulu - CelebTV.com: Bristol Palin & The Situation Talk Safe Sex
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2010, 11:30 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
All you want: The Windjammer - Front Beach, Isle of Palms, SC - Always a Jam Good Time!

It would seem that the more "girl next door" is favored over the more obviously enhanced ones.
I'm an equal opportunity lecher...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 11-18-2010, 10:16 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
All you want: The Windjammer - Front Beach, Isle of Palms, SC - Always a Jam Good Time!
It would seem that the more "girl next door" is favored over the more obviously enhanced ones.
Ah, the Jammer.

If sobriety memory serves me right, I was chatting up most of those young lasses' mothers there in the mid-1980s...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:59 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Oh, you are an old timer, Nords, but then again, so am I!
And I'll bet you remember, like me, the "pre Hugo" in 1989 Windjammer.
The "new" building has better bathrooms and a real kitchen, but still maintains that sandy floor beachfront vibe. It is a long way for us to go hear music, but I've gotten to hear Robert Earl Keen there a few times this past year.
My brother was a serious two-man volleyball player back in the day and hardly a week went by without some sort of tournament out in front of the old 'Jammer.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I knew the fix was in when Emmitt Smith won. Who would believe that all those NFL fans were watching, let alone voting!
Old 11-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Yup, he was Nureyev the II. I do remember.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #67

If you subscribe to the theory that it's the Tea Party that's voting in numbers and keeping her in the competition, then how about all the Palin bashers that are on TV and everywhere else, that seemingly hate her & her family with a vengeance? You'd think there'd be enough of them to counteract the percieved "teabagger" influence. I'm not buying it...I think the voting is fair and within the rules of the show. For the record, I don't normally watch this show...but I ain't lying, I've see it a time or two. I turned off my cable to save the $75 a month, and so now I only get 2 channels. The one that's really clear happens to be an ABC channel, and that's where this show is. The other channel I get through use of rabbit ears, and sometimes it's clear, sometimes not. I have internet through one of my apt. neighbor's generosity, which they probably aren't aware of yet.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:10 AM   #68

And no....I have never voted for Bristol Palin or any other contestant on this show! I don't care who wins.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
"teabagger"
What does that mean?
Old 11-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
If you subscribe to the theory that it's the Tea Party that's voting in numbers and keeping her in the competition, then how about all the Palin bashers that are on TV and everywhere else, that seemingly hate her & her family with a vengeance?
Well no. If you assume that only some low life people attack a person's family when they hate the politician you can easily get an asymmetrical result. NB this is not a partisan statement. All political persuasions have men and women of honor and integrity side by side with low life cretins.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
What does that mean?
Someone working on the production line in a Lipton plant?
Old 11-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Hey now, my dad worked for Lipton back in the day and I ran tea bagging equipment in our factory for years. No one ever called us that, but lordy if the equipment acted up, there was tea everywhere!

martyb--stealing the internet! from your neighbors,e even! Dang, I wish I could do that!

Old 11-21-2010, 06:11 PM   #73

Quote:

martyb--stealing the internet! from your neighbors,e even! Dang, I wish I could do that!
Not stealing...borrowing! I'm only using the part they're not using...lol. Yeah, I know it's on the shady side. It's not the fastest connection in the world, but I'm sometimes able to use it to watch instant-download Netflix movies(which I do pay for). I'm missing out of some of my favorite shows, but after 6 months, I'm pretty much used to it. Besides, I'm only here 4 nights a week, the rest of the week I'm in Shreveport. No TV restrictions there.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Sure, whatever you say, marty! My DH is in a hotel tonight and tomorrow night and I know he is LOVING the cable tv! All he's got around here are books.

But, guiltily I should confess that we actually bought a tv the other day. For the first time in both of our lives (please see ages below). Yep, it was just too cheap (a 32" for $289 at Target). We will use it to watch movies as I don't think we can even get regular channels out here. I haven't set it up yet, but it is so light! Tech surely has changed since that tv my parents gave me years ago--it weighed a ton!

Old 11-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #75

Sarah, that's funny that your DH had to go to a hotel to watch Sunday Night Football. A guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do I guess.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:20 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Now, 73, he was going out of town on business anyway, so the tv in the hotel was just a bonus! Thankfully, he's not some sort of sports fanatic or else we wouldn't have had all this marital bliss for the past 17 years.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Um, I think you missed out on the inherent humor of your Southern workmates. We are most certainly not victims, nor would we characterize ourselves as such, travelover. Being a Southerner is more about appreciating what sets us apart from flyover country and the northern states.

There is nothing wrong with celebrating your heritage and appreciating the stories of your ancestors and their struggles, just as you have noted in your post, rescueme. As a descendant of the Scot Irish settlers who arrived in poverty here in the 1700s, I'm very proud of my own ancestry.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #78
gone traveling

Quote:
As a descendant of the Scot Irish settlers who arrived in poverty here in the 1700s, I'm very proud of my own ancestry.
Ah! And well you should be. However, your "family" was here 1861-65 and may be part of stories that were "handed down" over time, for that period of conflict.

At least the Civil War (regardless of your "side") is part of your family history. In my case, it was not.

And no, my former co-workers were not kidding. They even fought among themselves over actions taken (by both sides) of that long ago event.

In reality? It did cause the largest number of U.S. casualties of all time (assuming you consider the North/South as one "country") and probably affected a great majority of family histories that were established before 1861.

BTW, what was this thread about anyway?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post

Old 11-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post

See, my plan becomes more obvious--thread hijacking as an art form!

I know some of those re-enactor folks that get all into the battlefields and all that, but my peeps are not so much interested in rehashing old battles. Guess there wasn't much else for your work mates to argue about!

I grew up blocks away from Ft. Moultrie, which had distinguished service dating from the Revolutionary War, so I was literally surrounded by Charleston's place in history. A friend even was one of the first to "lay hands" on the Hunley submarine, used in the Civil War.

Closed Thread