Join Early Retirement Today

Dang, is that all a windshield costs?
Old 02-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dang, is that all a windshield costs?

I started up our Honda minivan last week during our recent subzero whether and let 'er warm up a few minutes while I got a cup of coffee and scraped the snow and ice off the car. As I started driving I noticed two long vertical cracks in the windshield--ruh roh. I knew I had one small chip and wasn't too shocked to see it grow, but the other crack seemed to come from nowhere.

Anyway, getting the winshield replaced cost a total of $195. That was new glass, new gasket, removal of the old unit, all the labor to install the windshield, re-attach the mirror, and a lifetime warranty on water leakage, defective glass, etc. It took two guys about 90 minutes to do the work.

I was pleasantly surprised. I thought the glass alone would probably cost a couple hundred bucks with another big chunk of change for the labor. I'm sure the cost of the glass varies a lot: the guys at the shop said the replacement of the rear glass on one of those unsightly Pontiac Aztecs is mucho expensive.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

It think there is a difference on where you get your glass...

When I had my new Acura, I got a crack the first week... I talked to Acura and they agreed to pay part of the cost... they put in original glass and told me that it was different than aftermarket... can't remember exactly what they said, but said that it made a difference in the noise that would come into the car...

I do not think there is any difference in sight function.... but, $200 does seem pretty cheap...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
... can't remember exactly what they said, but said that it made a difference in the noise that would come into the car...
Probably that's true. I remember reading somewhere else that higher-end auto is not only engineered for sound absorption but is also a structural element of the car as well.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

There is a lot of windshield glass coming in from China these days. On a 1999 Carmy we sold, it had a cracked windshield and we had it replaced for $129.00 + tax.

OEM glass is much better as stated above, but more costly.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:30 AM   #5
Administrator

Interesting data point. I've had two windshield replacements, but never knew what it cost because it was fully covered by my car insurance.

On my latest USAA policy, it says that full safety glass coverage (which pays the full cost of replacement without deductible) raises the comprehensive insurance cost by 3-8%. Given that the cost of comprehensive for one car is about $60 per year, that is about $1.80 to $4.80 per year for glass coverage. Seems like a good deal.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:20 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Probably that's true. I remember reading somewhere else that higher-end auto is not only engineered for sound absorption but is also a structural element of the car as well.
Glass has been structural ever since they started gluing it in place vs the old rubber gasket technique, on any class of vehicle. Glass has been getting thinner and thinner over time to save weight and money, but there has been a reversal in recent years because thinner glass contributes to wind noise.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:56 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Can't remember exact numbers but I had to replace a windshield about 10 years ago and aftermarket was $200 and OEM was $600, for some idea what the premium was/is.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

This is something I was a bit ignorant to. In Florida, any windshield cracks or chips and things get you a free replacement, including install and all that. I'm unsure if you get to choose the windshield type and who installs it or if the insurance company does. I'll count myself lucky then, I just assumed it was nation wide.
Arifriekinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I think that's a great price---especially since the windshield on that big ol' minivan is about the size of a sail on a clipper ship!
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
It took two guys about 90 minutes to do the work.
Seems like a lot of labor unless the Odessey has some quirks.

I had the windshield changed on my son's Sienna. It was done in my driveway by one guy in about 45 mins.

I don't know the cost. Just signed the form for them to collect from the insurance co.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arifriekinel View Post
This is something I was a bit ignorant to. In Florida, any windshield cracks or chips and things get you a free replacement, including install and all that. I'm unsure if you get to choose the windshield type and who installs it or if the insurance company does. I'll count myself lucky then, I just assumed it was nation wide.
I don't think it's state specific. I think glass replacement is part of comprehensive coverage which you'd have to be carrying and paying for regardless of state.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I don't think it's state specific. I think glass replacement is part of comprehensive coverage which you'd have to be carrying and paying for regardless of state.
Ah, I getcha! I looked it up, I guess the difference if that Florida, Kentucky, and South Carolina are zero-deductible states, who don't let insurance companies charge a deductible on windshields while other states do.
Arifriekinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arifriekinel View Post
Ah, I getcha! I looked it up, I guess the difference if that Florida, Kentucky, and South Carolina are zero-deductible states, who don't let insurance companies charge a deductible on windshields while other states do.
Comprehensive insurance is not required, it's optional. I don't carry it. If you have a car loan, the lender may require it. It varies by state, in FL they appear to have zero deductible for glass IF you carry comprehensive ( not sure how that is impacted if you also have a high deductible on the comprehensive )

States require liability insurance to cover damages you may be at fault for.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
That didn't sound right to me, so I had to check. Only liability coverage is required in IL, if I'm reading this right:

Mandatory Insurance

I had a WS replaced on one of the kids cars, I don't think I went through insurance (probably because we dropped comprehensive?), and it was not expensive, something in line with the OP. And they make house calls!

It does seem cheap for the effort, equipment, the parts, and it takes a little skill.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote