Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'm far from poor; I'm typing this from Edinburgh where I just spent $230 on 3 bottles of scotch- but I was too cheap to pay for an Uber to my Airbnb apartment and walked 45 minutes. In the rain!
It's funny, on the surface that sounds illogical, but I am the same way, I like to splurge on some things, especially travel, but I can be very thrifty about other things. I think the key is to find someone who matches up with you in terms of their spending priorities.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2018, 12:30 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe try
Fionly.com or FireOnly.com
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:13 PM   #43

At 47, I started dating the person who would later become my wife. I was ~90% of the way to FI. I was concerned about the potential impact of marrying someone with no resources, or who loved to spend money. As we dated, I found out she had paid cash for her new condo, and had some savings. She was frugal, and never once asked how much $ I was worth. I was living in a similarly-priced condo, and driving an Xterra. I found out when she divorced her first husband, she did not ask for alimony or a settlement. Naive, but refreshing. Anyway, I trusted her enough to marry her, and her having some assets (~25% of the value of mine) made it easier. In some states, I'd strongly suggest a prenup. My parents divorced near what would have been their 48th wedding anniversay.
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would think that if you are frugal then the activities that you do are for those who are frugally inclined and if you meet a woman who attracts your attention then that is a good start. Once you start to get to know her... how she earns, how she spends, how she lives and her interests, then it will confirm or deny the initial hypothesis of apparent frugality.

If things seem good after those two hurdles, then some casual talk of retirement saving and planning and debt might give you insights to decide whether or not she is a keeper.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:01 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

There is quite an active group of NYC-based people over on the MMM forums. They have regular meetups. Might be a good place to focus your networking.
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:52 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Athena, that is beyond crazy.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:23 PM   #47

or my favorite!

NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:14 AM   #48

So … in a developing relationship when is the earliest that you can get financially naked with your partner? Unfortunately, this is usually weeks or even months after getting physically naked. You don’t want to make a substantial investment of time, money, and energy in a budding relationship only to discover that your partner is a financial disaster. As others have pointed out, you can’t rely on external appearances as a gauge of financial health - there are lots of big-spending pretenders out there.

Fortunately, the situation isn’t as bad as it appears. If you share your near- and long-term financial plans with any potential partners early in the budding relationship, the women who don’t find “austerity today in exchange for early retirement tomorrow” appealing will hopefully exit stage-left, allowing you to pursue more compatible partners.

Good luck. It’s a jungle out there!
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:46 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Athena, that is beyond crazy.
OK, Terry, you were right! I'm back at Edinburgh Airport for a flight to Paris and I took Uber. It was worth it! Will probably take the bus from the airport back to Waverly Station when I come back here, and walk to my apartment just for the exercise and the sightseeing, but when I head home I'm taking Uber back to EDI.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Are you only attracted to women who look great all the time? Because looking great all the time costs money, and the cost goes up as the woman ages.

Oh, and it takes time, too. Such a surprise to my first husband that I actually needed time to exercise - every day - to have that figure he so admired! He just thought it was something girls, you know, had.
This!!! And that luscious long blonde hair?? Unless its natural, a $lave to the colorist in both time and money. Tanned skin? Muscular upper arms? Nail extensions? Aesthetician? New designer seasonal handbags? Avg hetero male is not good at eyeballing this in the wild. Take a pic and phone a friend.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:29 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
So … in a developing relationship when is the earliest that you can get financially naked with your partner? Unfortunately, this is usually weeks or even months after getting physically naked. You don’t want to make a substantial investment of time, money, and energy in a budding relationship only to discover that your partner is a financial disaster. As others have pointed out, you can’t rely on external appearances as a gauge of financial health - there are lots of big-spending pretenders out there.

Fortunately, the situation isn’t as bad as it appears. If you share your near- and long-term financial plans with any potential partners early in the budding relationship, the women who don’t find “austerity today in exchange for early retirement tomorrow” appealing will hopefully exit stage-left, allowing you to pursue more compatible partners.

Good luck. It’s a jungle out there!
I never shared anything, it’s my money, my business.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
At 47, I started dating the person who would later become my wife. I was ~90% of the way to FI. I was concerned about the potential impact of marrying someone with no resources, or who loved to spend money. As we dated, I found out she had paid cash for her new condo, and had some savings. She was frugal, and never once asked how much $ I was worth. I was living in a similarly-priced condo, and driving an Xterra. I found out when she divorced her first husband, she did not ask for alimony or a settlement. Naive, but refreshing. Anyway, I trusted her enough to marry her, and her having some assets (~25% of the value of mine) made it easier. In some states, I'd strongly suggest a prenup. My parents divorced near what would have been their 48th wedding anniversay.
What a lucky man - and what a classy lady, I have the utmost respect for people like that. My ex fought tooth and nail for everything she could possibly get out of me when all she contributed financially was debt and student loans which I naively paid off for her (in my mid 20s)

I've since vowed to never get married again. I feel the cheating spouses and divorce laws have ruined marriages forever and most people now are foregoing it...sad.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:50 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
I have the utmost respect for people like that. My ex fought tooth and nail for everything she could possibly get out of me
Sorry for your bad experience. I guess if you're older and well-established, the only way to be sure is to find someone with similar assets, and nail-down a prenup. See how someone lives (and spends money), so that you're compatible. I've seen so many people in Southern CA with an "Orange County" lifestyle that they can't afford...they're in debt up to their eyeballs, driving fancy cars, and living in beatiful homes they financed, without having any savings or investments. Best wishes!
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:04 PM   #54
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post

Stand in front of YMOYL in the library and check out whomever checks it (or books nearby) out?

lol

Or check out the women who are interested in the personal finance section at the local bookstore.

I was recently at the local "Half-Price" used book store and they had a nice display of Dave Ramsey books.

Learn to discern which kind of women are "high maintenance."

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4adventure View Post
I'm a 33-year-old single guy living in the NYC metro area and working really hard to reach FI in 10-15 years. I could probably happily retire single but it'd be nice to have company. But I'm having trouble finding a woman who shares my commitment to frugality (LBYM) and is either pursuing FI or could be easily converted. Most around here seem to be obsessed with spending and men who spend (fancy clothes, fancy restaurants, fancy cars, expensive shows, etc.).

Any tips on finding FI-friendly partners? And, assuming you were in my shoes, how would you figure out whether the person has compatible finances and goals? Thanks!
Best way to stay on track is to date older ladies who already have FI. They are capable of picking up the tab and likely understand your situation.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:29 PM   #56
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post

So … in a developing relationship when is the earliest that you can get financially naked with your partner? Unfortunately, this is usually weeks or even months after getting physically naked. You don’t want to make a substantial investment of time, money, and energy in a budding relationship only to discover that your partner is a financial disaster.

Unfortunately, that's the way of modern degenerate society,
people willingly share their bodies... but not their credit scores.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:35 PM   #57
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post

Best way to stay on track is to date older ladies who already have FI. They are capable of picking up the tab and likely understand your situation.

Most of those older women themselves are frugal and wary of young gigolos.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:49 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

My plan is to live a pretty average lifestyle to not attract the wrong kind of attention... to never share my financial situation with anyone... and to never get married or commingle my finances with anyone ever again. An arrangement like W2R’s (separate homes, separate finances) would be perfect!!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:51 PM   #59
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4adventure View Post
Any tips on finding FI-friendly partners? And, assuming you were in my shoes, how would you figure out whether the person has compatible finances and goals? Thanks!
I'm close to your age and started dating a few years ago after a long marriage. I totally get where you're coming from. I used OKCupid, along with a couple other sites, for online dating. Over the course of 9 months I met ~100 women before meeting the lovely lady I've now been dating for a couple years. Needless to say I learned a lot during those 9 months... With my ex-wife we were able to develop our habits together, slowly, over time. It's a real challenge finding someone later in life after they've set their course.

OF COURSE there are countless exceptions to this, but I found that you can tell a lot about someone's lifestyle from their profile. If they have pictures with horses or list "travel" as one of their hobbies, they probably aren't planning to FIRE. Likewise if their pictures are at a dance club or a resort. Or if they look overly made up.

My girlfriend had a couple hiking pictures and listed 'personal finance' as a hobby. That was a good sign. I was thrilled on our first date to see that she doesn't wear makeup or jewelry. Both are major pet peeves of mine. She has a professional career but drove a car that cost $20K 10 years ago. It was pretty easy to tell that she was living well below her means (and I mean that in a good way!)

After a couple months we started discussing finances and I think we were both happy to find that this relationship was likely to accelerate FIRE for both of us, rather than hinder it.

I don't think there's any magic "tell", but in the online dating world there are a lot of filters you can apply to separate the wheat from the chaff. Probably wouldn't hurt to even put in your profile that you plan to retire early and are looking for someone who shares that goal.
anonymous_fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:58 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, we have read enough tales of lonely old women, hornswoggled out of their savings by poseurs on the Internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
Most of those older women themselves are frugal and wary of young gigolos.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dating, nyc