Join Early Retirement Today

Dave Brubeck RIP Dec 05, 2012
Old 12-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dave Brubeck RIP Dec 05, 2012

Dave Brubeck, jazz pianist, dead at age 91 - chicagotribune.com

Quote:
Dave Brubeck, a jazz musician who attained pop-star acclaim with recordings such as "Take Five" and "Blue Rondo a la Turk," died Wednesday morning at Norwalk Hospital, in Norwalk, Conn., said his longtime manager-producer-conductor Russell Gloyd.

Brubeck was one day short of his 92nd birthday. He died of heart failure, en route to "a regular treatment with his cardiologist,” said Gloyd.

Throughout his career, Brubeck defied conventions long imposed on jazz musicians. The tricky meters he played in “Take Five” and other works transcended standard conceptions of swing rhythm.
I saw him in the 80's at a mid-sized dinner/concert event.

He was at the bar after the show, and I gently walked up, told him how much I enjoyed the show (I recall now, mentioning to him they were 'hotter' and more aggressive than I expected, and I liked everything they did, from the soft/tender to the 'blasting').

He was really nice, so I asked if he would sign my program, he did, and even asked for my wife's program so he could sign that too. That was nice of him.

He was a real pioneer in bringing jazz and odd time signatures to a wider audience. I never tire of "Take 5", or "Blue Rondo a la Turk,", and there are so many other great tunes on that CD (Time Out) - everyone a unique time signature, IIRC.

Amazon.com: Time Out: Dave Brubeck: Music

Maybe this will bring T-Al out of hiding for a comment/memoriam? As I recall, he did a nice 'Blue Rondo' (a very difficult tune)?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Dave Brubeck was outtasight. Saw the DBQ at Portland State Jazz Fest as a kid. Joe Morello was with them. The essence of jazz. The Quartet was almost telepathic between themselves.

A giant among giants.

Peace, Dave.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Agree, he was great. I saw him in 1960 or so in New Haven, and a few years later, I think at the Village Vanguard, and once in this time at a great but short lived jazz festival in French Lick, IN. Or, the french lick-in, to follow the naming convention of festivals of that day.

He made a nice long life, not typical for jazz musicians of that era. Some of you must remember how extremely popular jazz was in the 50s, and in the early 60s prior to the Beatles invasion.

Ha
Old 12-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Played at our college in 1955. My favorite Jazz Musician.

His best piece:

9/8 time...never before
A funny period, in the '50's... a push to return jazz to the mainstream music world. We were like explorers, rediscovering an art that had been relegated to the bars and clubs. A new lease on life for the great musicians. The college radio stations were on the front edge of the "new" jazz.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/ar...anted=all&_r=0
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oh no!! What awful news. At least he lived a long time. What a surprise to learn that he was 92 already.

He will live on for all of us, every time we listen to his music, as trite as that observation may sound. Still, I just can't imagine that he is gone.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My Dad went to college with Dave Brubeck at College of the Pacific (Now University of Pacific) in Stockton CA. He followed his career and spoke of him quite often. While my Dad is still alive, most of his peers are not...not many men live to 92.

Fortunately we have his music still.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #7

My only encounter was at a concert he did in Denver about 1975. Absolutely astonished much of the audience, and got a very prolonged standing ovation at the end. I'll never forget it. Truly a master.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Dug through my CDs to find his autographs - the dinner/show I saw him and the band at was on a Thursday evening, Nov 5th, 1987.

Joe Morello hadn't played with the band since the 1968, Paul Desmond died in 1977. IIRC, two of his sons were with him - Chris and Darius I think.

I've always thought that the drum solo in "Take Five" (composed by Paul Desmond) is the most beautifully 'musical' drum solo I've ever heard. Too many drum solos just seem like a bunch of bashing to show off technique, this one, to me, is just so lyrical. He just maintains the theme of the song all the way through, at least that is how it strikes me.

I never saw this quote until today:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Out_(album)

Quote:
"Take Five" is in 5/4 throughout. According to Desmond, "It was never supposed to be a hit. It was supposed to be a Joe Morello drum solo."
Perfect! And yet, that sax line weaving through the rhythm is just hypnotic. I never tire of it. Here's one recording - whether this is his best solo or not, I'm not sure.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Here's one recording - whether this is his best solo or not, I'm not sure.
Yeah... I wouldn't argue that...
"Time Out" runs continuously when I'm alone in the car...
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Never had the opportunity to see him live but sure have for many years enjoyed his music. A real American genius. Thanks for all sharing in this thread...the real Jazz pioneers are disappearing one by one.
MovingtotheCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtotheCove View Post
Never had the opportunity to see him live but sure have for many years enjoyed his music. A real American genius. Thanks for all sharing in this thread...the real Jazz pioneers are disappearing one by one.
+1
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Economist Magazine has a nice obit with a lot of character info I would not have known:

Dave Brubeck | The Economist