“Day after” holidays?

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
Hopefully everyone is settling back, or soon will be, after a Happy Thanksgiving spent in your way (and any traveling done for at least now).

I wonder how many are like me in really enjoying the immediate post-holiday days (no, not “Black Friday” specials on- or off-line)?

I’m talking day-after-Thanksgiving/Christmas, New Year’s Day. They’re much calmer but still carry a holiday spirit (or buzz for some) and some are lucky to have the day off from the job.

They’re fantastic days to take a long walk too (weather permitting)!

I have to work, but this year the rest of my family is off.

Enjoy your Friday!

I work tomorrow night. My last Thanksgiving weekend working. We live far from family, so our Thanksgivings are quiet ones. I also have Christmas Day off but then work the next four days. I’ve been working many holidays since internship in 1984. I cried that first holiday-I had been married 6 months. In 2010 I worked every holiday. Every single one. Winter, summer, didn’t matter.

I’m so over this. All of it.

I have always loved the day after holidays . You can spend the whole day in your Pj's eating leftovers and just chilling . What is not to like ?

Looking forward to NOT traveling on the high stress days this Thanksgiving, i.e. especially the Sunday after. We're traveling on off days and being flexible in travel days to avoid weather. No need to go back to The Man on his terms. :)

Last edited:
It depends where I celebrate the holiday in question. If it's at home and I am hosting, chances are the day after is a big clean up day. Ugh. If it's at someone else's house, then yes, the day after is relaxing and enjoyable - unless I traveling back home!

My favorite days are any day when I don’t have to work and everyone else does.

2-1/2 years retired, and I still get a kick out of telling people "yeah... I have the day off today."

But back to the original subject, one reason (of many) Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday is that four-day weekend. Sure, it can be hectic leading up to the big meal, but once that's over, you have at least 3 days to just relax. Since I avoid crowds like the plague, shopping is out of the question.

It's not really the same since I retired. It's just another day. Did about the same amount of chores, projects and relaxing as I do every day.

Not complaining, just observing!

'Cept for the Florida family (5), all the rest are here from Wednesday thorough Sunday. Wonderful. They won't be back for Christmas this year, so we cherish every moment.
Never know which family gathering will be the last.

Have plans for next, with everyone... Here in Peru, and at Woodhaven sometime in April or May. Maybe a whole week. :dance:

Not a shopper, detest the BF thing. BF is just another retired day, but with awesome leftovers. Back in my w*rking days, it was not unusual to have to work on BF. Now retired, my weekends begin Sunday night and wrap up Friday around 3 PM. Unless there's a special event, etc, we shelter in pace over the F-S-S period. There's people out there! :hide:

I gained 2 lbs in one day.
My sympathies, and I hope that you can shake off those 2 pounds quickly.

I am not as brave as you and so I didn't weigh this morning, for the first time since March 23rd when I began dieting this time. I lost 51 pounds since March 23rd but I'm afraid to get on the scales today in case I gained. I know I ate too much yesterday. :eek:

I'll look tomorrow... :) Then I'll start working on it. Which is hard, with no romaine lettuce! Small Caesar side salads have been my "go to" weight loss lunch when we eat out, and they have a lot of romaine.

Now retired, my weekends begin Sunday night and wrap up Friday around 3 PM. Unless there's a special event, etc, we shelter in pace over the F-S-S period. There's people out there! :hide:

I'm getting that way, too. I try to avoid going out on weekends or the "after work" hours if I have a choice. "Shelter in place" is a good way to put it.

Not sure I'm QUITE that anti-social yet; I still like people, but only in small numbers. I never liked crowds, and being able to avoid them more is one of the small joys of retirement.

I felt guilty so I got out of my Pj's about 1 and put on gym clothes .I did not go to the gym I just wore gym clothes . Does that count as a work out ?

Nope, but does count as "getting dressed" for the day.:LOL:

I went to see the movie "Ralph Breaks the Internet" today with one cousin's 11-year-old daughter, another cousin's 18-year-old son, and my 81 year old aunt. I am just about to turn 63. Obviously the movie was chosen by the 11-year-old!

Given our varying ages, we all got something different out of the movie. I missed every single video game reference, I'm sure, but the adults did "get" a bunch of funny cultural references that went right over the 11-year-old's head.

It was a clever and entertaining movie with a good message about friendship, and I enjoyed it more than I expected. Most of all I enjoyed the company. :)

Great “day after”, Calico.

Once you retire, every day is a day after. Some great, some good! But they’re yours .

The last time I worked the day after Thanksgiving was in 1980, when I was 17. I had a part-time job at the local library which was open that day.

Checked out late from the hotel at 2pm. Drove home with the top down. All in all a good day.

Back
Top Bottom