Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The UN has started a Day of Happiness initiative http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...iness/2004087/

Great idea. We all need it.

What do you feel happy about ?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

There's so much to be happy about.
At a fundamental level, it's wonderful to be breathing.
Being retired, I'm happy, every day because I don't have to participate in the rat race.
I'm happy when I can prepare my eggs without getting egg shells in them.
I could list things all day, and I have the time to do it.

Happiness is a condition to be fostered and promoted.
An amazing quality of happiness, I've found, is that if I can make someone else happy, it makes me feel happy too.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm happy I don't have to depend on a UN declaration of an official "Happy Day" to be happy.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #4

I'm reading yet another happiness book (hip.cmlibrary.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp?uri=link=3100006~!790163~!3100001~!310005 3). According to the book (and another auther he quotes) if one exercises their "signature strengths", you generate happiness. I recently posted what I thought was a cool link where you could find out what your signature strengths were.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm happy I don't have to depend on a UN declaration of an official "Happy Day" to be happy.
+1
jim747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #6
gone traveling

I am almost at a point where every day will be happy day, 21 work days left
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+2. Did they let Syrians know?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #8

More! More! I want MORE official Happy Days! I thought I was doing OK with my happiness, but now that I know that happy can be an official thing and there is only one day of it that is so unfair! Hah! At least the countries not in the United Nations do not get an official happy day, so that returns me to happiness! Is there going to be a phone app to get happiness?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

How about a UN sponsored worldwide group hug and the singing of Kumbayah throughout the nations!
Col. Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
Administrator

Dang! It was yesterday. So sorry we missed it.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
The UN has started a Day of Happiness initiative U.N.'s Day of Happiness strikes chord

Great idea. We all need it.

I think it is a boat-load of fertilizer (worse, fertilizer has value). We don't 'need' this, I think it is a stupid idea. We need real reasons to be happy, not some fake, made-up, 'be happy because I said today is happy-day' happiness.

Reminds me of when my MegaCorp was going down the drain, and they started having these 'rah-rah' meetings. Really P-O'd me. Give me a reason to be happy, like we have new leadership with a real vision and an implementation plan to introduce new, innovative products at a price that will drive company profits, save our jobs, get everyone a raise/bonus, etc.

Quote:
Adding on to the pluses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Dang! It was yesterday. So sorry we missed it.
So now we have to wait 364 days to be happy? That makes me so sad. Gee, I was happier before all this fake happiness. See what it gets you.

Quote:
That's an extremely long list, and would probably bore the heck out of most here (typical stuff, reasonably good health, financially in pretty good shape, happily married for 32 years, three kids that are or on their way to being contributing members of society, I enjoy life in a million different ways etc, etc, etc) . And a declaration of a 'happiness day' by the UN has added nothing to that list.

Are you happy you asked?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
+1000 Honestly I am happy every day, now that I am retired. And why not? The past 3+ years have been the best in my life so I would be nuts not to be happy.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Today is my special day of happiness, the Oregon Health Sciences University research center announced that has developed a VERY promising malaria drug that is effective with one treatment (important in the developing world).

Let's hope that it won't have unacceptable side effects.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I am happy, most days, in spite of the UN resolution not because of it.

Will be really happy when the UN building is razed, and reconstructed in Antarctica. And their edicts are shipped via slow boat thrugh China.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Rut-row...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg story-bacon-071211.jpg (57.8 KB, 7 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I think it is a boat-load of fertilizer -ERD50
Hallmark likes it...

Happy Happy Day!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:10 AM   #17

Well whatever people say I am happy and very grateful to be part of this world, of this magnificent universe.

Happy to be able to change people's lives, help my patients, care for the needy, the uninsured, and the underserved.

Happy to be here and to be able to share these feelings. And, last but not least, it's Friday. :-)
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:11 AM   #18

Not sure why you attach a picture of bacon... Is it against the board's rule to talk about this UN initiative ? I may have missed something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Rut-row...
Old 03-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #19

Yes, even when I knew some would ridicule and/or criticize my post. Other participants may have found the concept of a worldwide happy day interesting - and desperately needed in this sad world. There is still hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

Are you happy you asked?

-ERD50
Old 03-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Yes, even when I knew some would ridicule and/or criticize my post. Other participants may have found the concept of a worldwide happy day interesting - and desperately needed in this sad world. There is still hope.
That's because some people have a need to be un-happy and try to make others feel that way.

Perhaps that balance is necessary. Imagine how terrible things would be if everyone were happy all the time.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote