Daylight Saving Time Again!

Up here on the Canadian prairies twilight hours on the longest day are from 4:35 AM to 10:35 PM. The official sunrise/sunset is 5:17 to 9:43.

Conversely in on the shortest day in winter twilight goes from 7:45 to 5:07. The official sunrise/sunset is 8:22 to 4:31.

On our Alaska tour (in July!) the Alaskans we spoke with, made it very plain that they get depressed in winter. Many head south - either to the warm places, or even just to their relatives in the upper Midwest. "We gotta get out in winter" was a refrain.

The days in July, however, were glorious!

So is High Summer in northern England, where we lived for 3 years. Like a perfect May, only three months long.

I know some folks get annoyed at all this, but I don't think it's really such a big deal. I grew up near the eastern edge of the Eastern time zone, so I always got home from school in the winter as it was already getting dark. Just the way things were. DW grew up at the western edge of the same time zone, so her experience was quite different.

The only time I have ever been bothered by it was a few years ago when I spent about ten days in Anchorage in January. Totally overcast every day, and only a few hours of daylight each afternoon. I could see how that would get very depressing in a hurry.

We alwaysthought it was stupid but were forced to do it. Now with an infant we find it truly stupid and considered not changing her schedule at all, just rolling into new number times but sane baby time. However we are changing tine zones for travel and I computed we would be living not 1 but 2 hours different than the locals. Decided we didnt like that. Google said to xhange her 15 mins a day. So weve had 3 weird days. She's delighted that we retrieve her earlier from her bed. Less thrilled when she goes to bed earlier haha. But she's doing everything we ask.

On our Alaska tour (in July!) the Alaskans we spoke with, made it very plain that they get depressed in winter. Many head south - either to the warm places, or even just to their relatives in the upper Midwest. "We gotta get out in winter" was a refrain.

SAD: seasonal affective disorder. It's a real thing for many people.

Up north winters can be rough with barely 8 hours of daylight. I was lucky that in my office job I was almost always close to a window. That definitely helped. On my days off at home the curtains were wide open and I planned my days so that I spent a lot of time in the living room near the large window. I'd always put off the basement projects until after the sun went down.

I used to work some in Indiana. They follow DST except for one? county in the state that doesn't. Stores and office buildings with different hours. That would be confusing.

Up north winters can be rough with barely 8 hours of daylight. I was lucky that in my office job I was almost always close to a window. That definitely helped. On my days off at home the curtains were wide open and I planned my days so that I spent a lot of time in the living room near the large window. I'd always put off the basement projects until after the sun went down.
+1
SAD sucks. I had it in the Midwest often triggered by the time shift back.

I remember being sent with a peer to Edinburgh to review a system in July. He had been there the prior year developing extensions to Megacorp's code. I remarked how awesome it was there. He replied "the customer is a combative idiot with an attitude and I was here for six months in February"! Guy was normally pretty mellow and he was right about the customer. As wonderful as the daylight was in July, February would have been torture at least for me.

Yes, winters can be a very depressing time as it lingers on. I tell people our weather is 9 months of snow and ice and 3 months of hard sledding.

I really isn't that way but it can seem like it. I have said before if you live in snow country, you need to be part of the outdoor adventure opportunities that are right out your back door. I actually look forward to winter because of outdoor thing we can do. If I didn't have them I would wish I could have them.
Getting involved and not getting barn sour by getting out is keys to a happy winter months.

One thing I'm looking forward to when I retire is generally getting more in balance with the seasons. I'll follow the sun...get up when I want to and go to bed when I want to - so likely up earlier in the summer and to bed earlier in the winter. And all without guilt that I "should" be doing something productive in those long winter nights when all I really want to do is hibernate!

It's funny...literally everyone warned us we would get SAD in the winter in northern England, but we never did. I even had a "happy light" box, but I just used it to trace embroidery designs.

+1
SAD sucks. I had it in the Midwest often triggered by the time shift back.

I remember being sent with a peer to Edinburgh to review a system in July. He had been there the prior year developing extensions to Megacorp's code. I remarked how awesome it was there. He replied "the customer is a combative idiot with an attitude and I was here for six months in February"! Guy was normally pretty mellow and he was right about the customer. As wonderful as the daylight was in July, February would have been torture at least for me.

When I was in my residency, we had a 36 hour residents’ retreat. The retreat was paid for by the program. We stayed at a facility with cabins and a community room and had a meeting, but then we went hiking, hung out, and partied Saturday night. Some residents went to the retreat after a 24 hour shift; others had to go back to work at 7PM Sunday night. We ALWAYS scheduled the retreat when we turned the clocks back in the fall. That precious hour made it a 37 hour retreat.

OMG, that time of year again already? Thanks for the reminder!

Well, I got up right on time! Which would have been an hour early for the body. Oh well, it's hard staying asleep that last hour anyway. And I forgot to reset the clock on my coffeepot, so I've already posted two comments on here without coffee! Seriously, it's only an hour twice a year. People do that all the time, go to bed an hour later for some reason, or likewise get up early.

Despite this thread, all 3 of us forgot about the time change. Fortunately, my wife had set the alarm on her phone, not the bedside clock. As it was, she had gotten up during the night and looked at her phone and realized it.

I hated losing that hour. I'm sure I'll be feeling that later today and especially tomorrow. It always takes about 3 days to adjust.

Something's amiss with the bedside clock, which has a "DST" switch. Flipping the switch did nothing. Had to re-set by hand.

Fortunately it didn't matter, as I didn't have to get up early today.

We went to bed a half hour early, then overslept by 15 minutes. So, not bad. DH was changing clocks upstairs, so I went to the first floor and reset most of them. Came up and told him I reset the first floor clocks. He had to get online to find out how to reset the programmed clock in the wall switch and bathroom scale, so it took him awhile. He forgot to reset his watch and went downstairs to make sure I didn't miss any clocks and ended up resetting every clock I had already done before realizing he was setting them to the incorrect time. It initially looked like I had reset 2 of 8 clocks to him. After resetting the downstairs clocks again, he realized he had to reset some of the upstairs clocks too. Believe it or not, he is younger than I am and has a higher IQ. I guess the time change just really messed with him more than it did me.

I used to work some in Indiana. They follow DST except for one? county in the state that doesn't. Stores and office buildings with different hours. That would be confusing.

All of Indiana follows DST now.

The old problem of a few counties following it or not was due to the counties attached to the Chicago and Cincinnati metro areas. That problem is now solved by the state following DST. The Cincinnati border counties are now in complete harmony.

The Chicago area counties follow central time, and also DST.

The southwest border counties follow central and DST to allow the mega metropolises of Evansville and Owensboro to be harmonious. :LOL:

There are people in Indiana who would like to change the entire state to Central. They must like their light in the mornings.

Reference: https://www.wrtv.com/news/local-news/indianas-complicated-history-with-daylight-saving-time

It used to be that driving from Chicago to Cincinnati, a trip I did quite a few times, was an exercise in clock management.

My wife has an annoying habit of saying "you know, according to our bodies it's really 3:00 o'clock right now, not 4:00 o'clock." She will do this for several days after DST is implemented. Just for grins, weeks from now she might say "I'm really tired, I'm going to bed early", whereupon I will retort, "you know, it's really 8:30 right now, not 9:30!"

My cats won't bother me like they do in the fall.

Back
Top Bottom