Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-09-2020, 07:39 AM   #41
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
And at the risk of crossing the streams, this time change always leaves me feeling tired for a week or two at least, and more susceptible to colds....or whatever other bugs are going around! I wonder if this could affect the spread of COVID-19, even a little?
Perhaps you are more in tune with the workings of our natural world than many of us here are, from the screen name you chose.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2020, 07:44 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got a chuckle out of this commentary:

https://bobbiblogger.files.wordpress.../daylight1.jpg
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:47 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
Perhaps you are more in tune with the workings of our natural world than many of us here are, from the screen name you chose.
I doubt it...I'm going to try to stay away from discussing CV in this thread, but there is research showing that automobile accidents increase the week or so after the time change, resulting in an average of 28 more motor vehicle deaths in those days: https://www.cell.com/current-biology...19)31678-1.pdf
Old 03-09-2020, 07:56 AM   #44

For some reason living in the midwest, with four distinct seasons, I seem to like the time changes. Lighter later in the Summers works for me.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:20 AM   #45
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Yeah.
Tampa FLA already has on average 30-40 minutes more daylight than the NEast where I came from.
It won't in July. It will have less.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:22 AM   #46
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
I just wish we would pick one time and stick with it!
I have always had difficulty adjusting, its just not as bothersome now that I am retired.
Then don't ever travel outside your home zone.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:33 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like daylight savings time. The fall and spring change makes perfect sense to me. I think the system should stay as it is.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:51 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

I’m miserable and exhausted due to the time change, as always. After 71 years of it, I know I’ll feel better in a few days.

One thing for sure; I know that politicians will talk about eliminating the time change, but it will never happen. It was ever thus.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:31 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I’m miserable and exhausted due to the time change, as always. After 71 years of it, I know I’ll feel better in a few days.

One thing for sure; I know that politicians will talk about eliminating the time change, but it will never happen. It was ever thus.
They will talk about it and get push back from those of us who agree that the system is good as it is. There are reasons for it and some of us want it. Every time this comes up the politicians get a lot of push back, so yeah, the system is working. Not everyone wants full year DST.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
DST is a plot by the Trilateral Commission
Old 03-10-2020, 07:20 AM   #50

DST is a plot by the Trilateral Commission

When I was a little kid I loved DST. But back then I was a Morning Person, and the season most affected was summer when I was free from school.

However, decades of predawn alarm clocks in thralldom to the daily grind purged me of Morning Personhood. And since I haven't had a summer off in 47 years, the charm of DST is lost on me.

I'd go even further and observe that, in the good ol' USofA, we suffer from the insane notion that every day needs to start at an ungodly hour. Even without the cut-and-pasted hour, our society kicks off its routines much earlier than other, perfectly civilized, nations. Nine to five? Every place I ever worked needed day crews there by 7 so they could interact with the departing graveyard shift. (Plus, a similar handoff for the evening folks meant forget about leaving before 5.) So in reality, my 9-5 day started at 6 most of the year.

We get up earlier (also stay later and take fewer vacations) than most of the world. We also have a shorter life expectancy. Hmm, get up earlier, die younger, ease the burden on the SS trust fund. Coincidence?
Old 03-10-2020, 08:54 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I would prefer permanent Standard Time.

IMO, DST is like cutting two feet off the bottom of your blanket, sewing it onto the top of the blanket, and thinking you have made the blanket two feet longer.
Everyone knows you don't gain or lose hours of daylight. But when I was still working I definitely preferred the extra daylight at the end of the workday as it was far more useful than in the morning.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote