Daylight Savings Time ends tonight

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Don't forget to turn your clocks back at 2:00 am sharp! And make sure we all use our extra hour wisely ... :LOL:

Clocks, clocks, we don't need no stinkin clocks.

I love it here on the SE side of Arizona, we don't do anything that everyone else does. So no daylight savings for us. Of course living 5 miles from New Mexico, half the year we have to figure out what time it is there.

i wonder if the bars stay open for an extra hour? dont see why not

Don't forget to turn your clocks back at 2:00 am sharp! And make sure we all use our extra hour wisely ... :LOL:
Thanks for the reminder! I've been wondering when you Mainlanders were going to have the stock market open at a more humane hour.

I used to hate it when the time changed this time of year. Always got off work in the dark. Depression time of the year. Now all I have to adjust is just walking my dog a little earlier before the sun goes down and it gets cold. Not that depressing either.:)

I will! I am sure I can think of some way to spend that hour wisely. And this is an opening for using some emoticons I have rarely if ever used, like

:cell: (I could talk on the phone for that extra hour), or

:horse: (I could contribute pointless posts to the forum for that extra hour).

In any case, I am looking forward to awakening an hour earlier each morning, without even trying.

Last edited:
Instead of changing the clocks you could move west to the next time zone over for 6 months...

Instead of changing the clocks you could move west to the next time zone over for 6 months...
Unless I'm more confused than usual, that would only double your time change - you'd want to move east in the Fall.

I know this because we moved from the Eastern to the Central Time Zone late yesterday and this AM my MH clock is off by two hours. Is today Tuesday?

Never notice this before. My cell phone (Samsung, Cingular) does not change the time automatically. I have to shut it down and restart it to get the correct time. How did your phone handle it?

Well I am going to work today so I needed to turn my clock back. However, since I woke up at the usual time, I was able to spend one more hour reading posts on this website (and enjoying reading them).

Have a good Sunday everyone.

Never notice this before. My cell phone (Samsung, Cingular) does not change the time automatically. I have to shut it down and restart it to get the correct time. How did your phone handle it?
Must be phone specific. We also have AT&T (Cingular) - my Motorola changed automatically but the wife's Nokia required a shutdown/restart.

My Motorola is very peculiar when it comes to changing time zones (sometimes dose it automatically, sometimes needs a re-start), and in Canada this year it simply would not get the correct time - I had to change to manual updates only to get it to stay on the correct time.

Today it took a power-off and re-start.

My Motorola is very peculiar when it comes to changing time zones (sometimes dose it automatically, sometimes needs a re-start), and in Canada this year it simply would not get the correct time - I had to change to manual updates only to get it to stay on the correct time.

Today it took a power-off and re-start.

Today my Motorola W385 cell phone changed to the correct time automatically. Maybe it's model-specific instead of a specific problem of Motorola.

Or, maybe it's related to time of day, since I just awakened at [-]9:00 AM[/-] 8:00 AM.

Last edited:
Today my Motorola W385 cell phone changed to the correct time automatically. Maybe it's model-specific instead of a specific problem of Motorola.

Or, maybe it's related to time of day, since I just awakened at [-]9:00 AM[/-] 8:00 AM.

I can't see a model number on mine - it is the one I got through work in 2004.

DWs garage sale Waveceptor watch got its signal from Colorado, and changed automatically. We had to leave it on an east-facing windowsill.

Can't wait until DST is abolished -- what a hare-brained idea. Russia is getting it together:

Russia Proposes Stopping Daylight Saving Time : NPR

My hope is that congress will keep extending DST until it is year round.

The only effect Y2K had on me was that my old radio alarm just stopped working. I replaced it with a model that automatically changes with the seasons. Unfortunately, it seems to be irreversibly programmed to the "old" schedule of time changes. When Dubya had the inspiration to alter the dates, he didn't tell my clock. So for the past week it has been reading one hour earlier (and making me very confused and late to work) and now it is back on the correct schedule.

Drive carefully tomorrow, and watch the markets!

The onset of daylight saving time can be hazardous to your health | Booster Shots | Los Angeles Times

DWs garage sale Waveceptor watch got its signal from Colorado, and changed automatically. We had to leave it on an east-facing windowsill.

Can't wait until DST is abolished -- what a hare-brained idea. Russia is getting it together:

Russia Proposes Stopping Daylight Saving Time : NPR

My hope is that congress will keep extending DST until it is year round.

I remember when they experimented with dropping it in the UK. It only lasted one or two years and they went back to business as usual - something to do with kids walking to school in the dark. In higher latitudes the daylight hours are much less (the most southerly point in the UK is north of Maine).

I remember when they experimented with dropping it in the UK. It only lasted one or two years and they went back to business as usual - something to do with kids walking to school in the dark. In higher latitudes the daylight hours are much less (the most southerly point in the UK is north of Maine).
I would love to see it dropped. This far north with DST it doesn't get really dark in late June until 11:00pm. Kind of interferes with my astronomy hobby.

I looked up what the UK did and it was 3 years between 1968 and 1971, and in fact they retained DST permanently during that period.

British Summer Time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An inquiry during the winter of 1959-60 consulted 180 national organisations, and had revealed a slight preference for a change to all-year GMT+1, but the length of summer time was extended as a trial rather than the domestic use of Greenwich Mean Time abolished.[4] A further inquiry during 1966-67 led the government of Harold Wilson to introduce the British Standard Time experiment, with Britain remaining on GMT+1 throughout the year. This took place between 27 October 1968 and 31 October 1971, when there was a reversion to the previous arrangement.
Analysis of accident data for the first two years of the experiment indicated that while there had been an increase in casualties in the morning, there had been a substantially greater decrease in casualties in the evening, with a total of around 2,700 fewer people killed and seriously injured during the first two winters of the experiment,[5] at a time when about 1,000 people a day were killed or seriously injured on the roads.[6] The period coincided with the introduction of Drink-Driving legislation though, and the estimates were later modified downwards in 1989.[5]
The trial was the subject of a House of Commons debate on 2 December 1970[7] when on a free vote, the House of Commons voted to end the experiment by 366 to 81 votes.

We don't have to change our clocks, but from October-April the state moves opening time of some beaches from 6 AM to 8 AM. This means that the dawn patrollers have to [-]go around the fence to an alternate entry point[/-] either sit in the parking lot waiting for the official opening time, or leave later and hope not to get whipsawed by rush-hour traffic.

Our Mainland-college daughter was pretty excited about her first DST shift.

I remember having submarine refits in Holy Loch, Scotland in the 1980s with 18 hours of "daylight" from 4 AM to 10 PM. Of course we had an equal number that seemed to be in perpetual darkness.

Back
Top Bottom