Join Early Retirement Today

Daylight Savings Time reminder
Old 03-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
Administrator

Daylight Savings Time reminder

It is daylight savings time. We are robbed yet again of one hour of our lives. Another government conspiracy? Perhaps, but don't forget to seat your clocks ahead tonight.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are robbed of the time it will take to change the time on 20 or so devices that need it.

I struggle to stay up until 11 each night, so that I'm less likely to fall asleep at the wheel driving home from late gigs. Therefore falling forward is a welcome event. I'm going to try and convince Lena to stay up until 11:30 now.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It is daylight savings time. We are robbed yet again of one hour of our lives. Another government conspiracy? Perhaps, but don't forget to seat your clocks ahead tonight.
If you moved to Hawaii you wouldn't have to deal with this twice-a-year inconvenience.

Oboy, now the stock market will be open here at 3:30 AM!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We don't have DST in Japan, but dealing with different DST changeover dates for Europe, US and Australia is a bit of a pain in the keister. When ER finally arrives, it won't matter much anymore...I'm just gonna get up when I'm darn good-n-ready, and go to bed when I'm sleepy. Yeah and a nap on the patio on spring and summer afternoons. Who needs a clock...

R
Old 03-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

No time change in AZ
Old 03-11-2012, 04:11 AM   #6

This is temporary only, you will get this hour back in a few months' time.
Quote:
We are robbed yet again of one hour of our lives.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
This is temporary only, you will get this hour back in a few months' time.
Think of it as a loan to the farmer's kids.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
Administrator

The only real issue ever affecting us was working abroad for a US multinational that loved to have conference calls. In the couple of days after a US time change many of us would dial in an hour early or an hour late, not remembering that the time difference had changed. The airlines also modified their flight schedules, so frequent travelers had to relearn the times for the common routes once again. One more aspect of work I do not miss.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I seem to remember that the UK changed at a different time so there was a week or two where the time difference was an hour more or less than it normally was and then the time difference went back to normal, but during that short period of time we were all screwed up dialing into conference calls at the wrong time, etc.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
Administrator

Change your smoke alarm batteries.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #11

Ms G will now ask me 10 times a day "is New Mexico an hour ahead or behind?" And I have to wake up an hour earlier to get to my dentist appt in Silver City. We forgot one year and had to leave at 6AM in Arizona, for a 9AM appt.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Thanks! If it weren't for this thread I wouldn't have realized. No wonder I "slept in" until 9 a.m. this morning - very odd for me. Most of our clocks switch automatically, and I was blithely unaware. LOL!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I seem to remember that the UK changed at a different time so there was a week or two where the time difference was an hour more or less than it normally was and then the time difference went back to normal, but during that short period of time we were all screwed up dialing into conference calls at the wrong time, etc.
Several years ago, I chatted on line with a friend from New Zealand. NZ moves its clocks as we do here in America but in the opposite direction from when we do, so we would be 12 hours apart or 14 hours apart, but also 13 hours apart for a week or two in April/October until both of us had made our adjustments. Made it kinda confusing to find each other on line for a while.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Don't worry, the government pays interest on the hour they've forced us to save. Unfortunately we all know what sort of interest rate they pay these days.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
We are robbed of the time it will take to change the time on 20 or so devices that need it.
20? Wow. I only needed to change the time on 4 devices: the clock by my bed, the clock in the den, my watch, and my car.

I do wish that we could settle on one time and stay there, though. I used to get some mild form of jet lag twice a year from these time changes. It's easier as a retiree because I can sleep when I want, but still it is annoying.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
20? Wow. I only needed to change the time on 4 devices: the clock by my bed, the clock in the den, my watch, and my car.

I do wish that we could settle on one time and stay there, though. I used to get some mild form of jet lag twice a year from these time changes. It's easier as a retiree because I can sleep when I want, but still it is annoying.
I hear you. In my place, I have 4 devices as well as my car. And some of them are easier to change than others. An old digital clock radio I have is a pain to change in the fall (when we go backward an hour) because I have to move the time forward 23 hours to reset it. It has no separate hour-minute buttons, just "fast" and "slow" buttons. My previous car had some weird combination of the radio's volume and tuner buttons in order to adjust the time. I'd always end up changing the minutes by mistake, even after finding the instruction manual for it buried in a folder somewhere LOL!

The toughest part was getting up to go to work on Monday after the Spring time change. Have not had to do that since 2001, thankfully.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
For the longest time they all changed on the same date in the Fall, but a few years ago the US changed so it changes at different dates in Spring and Fall, moving forward 2 or 3 weeks before Europe, and moving back a week after Europe.

We have a weekly webcam get together with friends in the UK on a Sunday, so we always need to be aware of when the time changes both sides of the pond. (ie we have to change our weekly call time on 4 occaisions each year).
Old 03-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #18

I have 13 different clocks to reset and I hate this. I never get the time back I waste twice a year to get these reset, thankfully the DVR and computer do it automatically or I'd have 15 to do.

I'm used to waking up at 6:50 to 7:10 and now it'll be 7:50 to 8:10 cuz my body clock takes longer each year to readjust to this. What a waste of time in the morning losing an hour, get up at 7:10 when the clock says 8:10. I may be retired but I have a schedule I follow and I have lost that hour until I can readjust.

I hate DST, AZ and HI have it right (do parts of IN still stay on standard time?), well maybe AZ and HI do. As much as I like standard time, if we did not advance the clocks the sun would be rising at 4:15 AM in June and that means it would be getting light out around 3:30 AM! What I really dislike is doing this so soon. We used to do it in early April and that made more sense than early March since the sun was rising earlier in that extra month. Then to add insult to injury the idiots now have us delaying resetting back to ST until November. People claim this saves energy but I have read many articles that say this is not true we just shift the time we use lights.

I'd like to stay on ST until late April and rest back in early October, just wait until I am king!
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Humans are incapable of having anything with one standard (Phillips slotted, PC Mac, metric English, etc.). Why should time be any different?
Old 03-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
(do parts of IN still stay on standard time?)
As of a few years ago, Indiana straightened things out so the entire state now observes DST but in exchange for that a few more of its counties are in the Central Time Zone. Most of the state is in the Eastern Time Zone.

Time in Indiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was a bumpy route to get to where they are now.