Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
15 years ago I was let go from an upper management, high-paying, job. The dismissal was grotesquely unfair, but rather than litigate I took a very generous severance package. At the time the company was relatively small.
In a fairy tale, bad things would have then happened to the president who canned me and the company would have folded. But the company has grown considerably and is highly successful. I guess you could say they "won."
So what? Here I am, absolutely thrilled with my retirement life. It's not about winning or losing. If you're FI, and you can be happy as opposed to miserable, the decision is easy.
Thanks for your perspective. It makes a lot of sense to me.
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
If there weren't these *******s trying to make you quit, would you feel more comfortable retiring?
Good point. No, if the workplace didn't become so bad I would probably work a few more years even though I'm FI already.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:53 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis View Post
Good point. No, if the workplace didn't become so bad I would probably work a few more years even though I'm FI already.
Clearly, when your mental and physical health is suffering, something must change. Dealing with unreasonable demands on a daily basis will kill your spirit, mind and body. Would you be interested in working with a different organization, perhaps part time? It would be a good way to extend your career and if the experiment didn't work out, you could still ER.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:04 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks to everyone who replied. I do have a plan going forward. I am contributing the maximum percentage to my 401k so it will be fully funded by April. I am checking pricing on the aca exchange to buy health insurance. I understand to try and keep magi low for a possible subsidy. If I choose to leave on my own there would be no severance package (other than paying for accumulated vacation time). There is a rumor of a layoff in March, have to wait and see.

About three of my friends want out too. The things management does are just way over the top. They have posted jobs with unfavorable working hours so, of course, none of us apply. Then they hire someone younger and for less money and give them the day hours and make us work the unfavorable ones. Many other things. One of my friends knew a labor lawyer and ran things by him. He was interested in pursuing this but no one wants to stick their neck out because they will likely be fired.

At least I am preparing to leave if need be. My plan would be to relax as long as I want to - years possibly. It's almost I have to detox from the place. Then, if I want to I could always work a day or two every so often. I don't think I'll have to work from a monetary standpoint but maybe just to keep in touch with the profession.

Francis
Old 01-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All the money you have can't buy good health. You already have the FI, so get out before you have more health problems.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:56 PM   #26

Once you are retired you need to let go and leave all that behind. Who won and who lost? You won't care (or shouldn't). Look to the future.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:08 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

My own experience is that when I'm in a toxic environment, it impacts all aspects of my life. I think about it when I'm away from the immediate environment that gives rise to the negative feelings. It impacts my thinking and feelings in ways I don't even realize.

But shortly after I leave and get away from that environment, I realize how little it really matters. The people and situations don't impact me any more and I'm so happy focusing on new, positive things that I don't really think about the other things at all.

I've changed jobs a few times to move to a more supportive, healthy environment, and I've never looked back. Once you're away from the negativity, you'll be surprised how little you care about the situation anymore.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:46 PM   #28

Just getting away from chronic overwork and toxic people at my old job in September has resulted in immediate relief of many physical symptoms. The medical director who came in to "fix" our group (we've been screaming for help from our corporate higher-ups due to overwork for years) has fixed our group all right. Out of 9 physicians, I've retired, and 4 have quit or are quitting in the space of 15 months. It's a hot mess right now. I got out at the right time.

It is likely that an experienced hospital pharmacist can find work in a more pleasant environment, perhaps even a part time position, that can help ease you into a retirement mindset.

On the other hand, if you are FI, why not consider retiring?
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:59 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

If you are FI, I would recommend leaving...now. life is simply too short to deal with that crap. When you are on your deathbed, not a single one of those folks will come around to thank you or offer good luck in the 'next world'. You have got to always, always, always look out for number one.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:03 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

EWC gal, I'm kinda like what Chuckanut advised me today and maybe you will as well,

Imagine having a long journey on a treacherous road with a backpack full of extra food, clothing, maps, survival equipment and other gear needed to insure your safety and success.

Finally a few miles from the end of the journey you realize you don't need all the extra food, water, clothing, foul weather gear and so on. You toss it to the side or give it to some other poor soul and complete the last day's walk with a very light pack. The last few miles are an easy walk on a good road, in good weather with plenty of pleasant scenery and nice people to accompany you. At last you can enjoy the trip without having to worry about surviving.

That's how I felt.
johnnyfuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:05 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I think I had almost 25 good years. Sure lots of hours but you were rewarded. My last 5 stunk, hostile is the right word.

One morning when things were at their worst, I felt bad. Really lost most of a day. Finally an ambulance was callled and they hauled me out of there. The EMTs insisted on taking me to a level 1 trama center as they were sure I'd had a stoke.

The ER doctor ruled a stroke out quickly, but was trying to diagnose what happened. He figured it out, thought in my case it was totally stress related(TGA). The incorrect thoughts I had when I thought stress had helped cause a stroke made me choose what's important.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

My bad, Francis...
johnnyfuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:19 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiek View Post
But shortly after I leave and get away from that environment, I realize how little it really matters. The people and situations don't impact me any more and I'm so happy focusing on new, positive things that I don't really think about the other things at all.
This is good advice. I have always found it interesting after leaving a job how little I thought about it after a few months of being in a new environment. Out of sight, out of mind has been true for me.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:55 PM   #34

I have worked with good companies which have turned into toxic environments several times. I have always found ways to stay on and do the best I could, but in every instance it ended badly. These were the worst decisions I ever made. I regret every minute I stayed after the toxic changes and none of what I managed to accomplish in any of them was understood or appreciated by the toxic people who ruined these companies. I hope I have learned my lessons and will never do that again.

One thing possibly in your favor is that if others have already left this place, you may now have people who know your work that have landed at other employers. Since you are FI, you could be deciding to retire, but with multiple contacts, you might also consider just finding another job with people you know who have already left. Since you are FI, you could even take a pay cut for a better work environment.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:19 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
One of my friends knew a labor lawyer and ran things by him. He was interested in pursuing this but no one wants to stick their neck out because they will likely be fired.

Francis
Maybe you should be the one to follow up with that labor lawyer? Might be able to benefit yourself, your friends AND your patients. Overworked pharmacists sounds like a recipe for a medical malpractice suit if you ask me....
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:24 AM   #36

I retired in 2008 leaving a situation that was fast becoming toxic, I was lucky and was over it on the ride home and haven't missed the office for a minute since then. It would seem you would be able to find part time work if you want to keep your hand in but being FI makes this your decision, not theirs! If your health has started to suffer, then I wouldn't wait too long, not worth it and you don't owe them anything other than your hard work and effort until you leave. Too many opportunities elsewhere to volunteer and otherwise feel like you contribute if that is something that drives you.

I realized that I had been training all my working life to retire- don't stay where you're not appreciated if you don't have too!
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:21 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamo View Post
Maybe you should be the one to follow up with that labor lawyer? Might be able to benefit yourself, your friends AND your patients. Overworked pharmacists sounds like a recipe for a medical malpractice suit if you ask me....
For sure! Important to fully document these issues to prevent the individual professional (pharm, doc, nurse, whatever) from being held responsible for failing to follow literally impossible system (admin) mandates (like being required to be 2 places at once!.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:33 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
For sure! Important to fully document these issues to prevent the individual professional (pharm, doc, nurse, whatever) from being held responsible for failing to follow literally impossible system (admin) mandates (like being required to be 2 places at once!.
The classic approach is to document a response for when "counseled" for failing to be in two places at once. It never works. The apparent goal is to force him out. I have been in these types of situations and the best response is to start planning your next step in life and tune out the static. Accept that fact that you won't survive no matter what you do so stop stressing out (or caring) what's said. Do what you can. Do what you think is right. Try to let people/managers that won't be receiving your service as they expect what you are doing whenever possible.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:58 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

At least I am preparing to leave if need be. My plan would be to relax as long as I want to - years possibly. It's almost I have to detox from the place. Then, if I want to I could always work a day or two every so often. I don't think I'll have to work from a monetary standpoint but maybe just to keep in touch with the profession.

Francis
I am still detoxing after quitting my toxic job (RN) 4 months ago. The physical symptoms improved immediately. The blood pressure is great, I can sleep at night and the crushing headaches stopped. I was actually taking big doses of Citalopram and Klonopin to be able to work! And even that wasn't enough. I will never do that again.

While the physical symptoms have improved I think the mental anguish will take much longer for me. I still find myself thinking about the nasty treatment I received from coworkers and it still upsets me. Even though I was FI and knew that I could quit whenever I wanted.
pullmyfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:29 AM   #40

It sounds like life in the blender and it is time to get out. Why stay when life could be better elsewhere. I would be concerned about your own health.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote