Join Early Retirement Today

Decking wood and otherwise
Old 04-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Decking wood and otherwise

I found a thread about decking preferences last updated 3 years ago. Now that I am getting ready to re-plank my wood deck, I am looking at the man-made stuff, but I have read some horror stories about fading, mold and outright failure. For those of you who built a deck using Trex etc a while ago, are you still happy with it? Was it worth it? Would you do it again?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

i replanked our deck with Trex 4 years ago and it still looks brand new. I do have to power wash it once a year to get mildew dots off of it. We live near a lake and the increased humidity seems to create the mildew. But it was worth the $3k upgrade and I would do it again.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #3

In my experience, don't expect the Trex (or equivalents) to look better than wood over time, or need less maintenance, but it will certainly last longer, which is not a trivial consideration.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We had a wood deck on a concrete pad but it started splintering plus it would get really hot during the summer (in Houston). We replaced it with brick and were really happy.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would vote for man-made decking. We live in Midwest & had some deck work done in wood around same time neighbors did. Their deck/stairs still looks great while ours is starting to look like it needs redo. If you can handle the extra materials cost it's prob worth the investment.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #6

I would do Trex again.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Your profile says you are in New England so probably not an issue for you, but if anyone living in the south is considering Trex, be aware that it gets very hot in the summer sun. Much hotter underfoot than wood decking.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #8
gone traveling

I bought Trex decking 14 years ago and installed it very close to lakefront water. It's the lighter gray in color so it wasn't hot to the feet.

After 4 years, I removed it and stacked it up.

Then, 6 years later, I unstacked it and built another deck with it, again close to lakeside water. After powerwashing it off, it looked just like it did the day I bought it.

Today - 4 years after I built that second deck - it still looks fine.

Sure, I paid a premium for this decking in 1999. And you'll pay a highter premium today. But I would certainly do it over again.
LakeTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:03 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

In 2003 I built a house. I asked for Trex on the deck. The builder substituted Rhinodeck which he assured us was just as good. After two years it was mildew spotted. The mold is deep in the composite material. Apparently the material includes wood particles, along with plastics, which hold moisture and feed the mold. it is impossible to clean or wash the stains away.

Neither the builder nor Rhino stood behind the product. In fact you can read many Rhinodeck horror stories on the Internet.

After 10 years it looks terrible. I'm planning to replace this summer and considering Trex.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #10

I have three wood decks and all three still look great. Of course, I have stripped and re-stained them every single year for 21 years. When I do, they look brand new. I have to do this as the decks are under trees and I just don't like how they look after months of winter.
At some point, I will replace them due to the yearly maintenance. Just finished cleaning, brightening and re-staining two of them and will start on the third one today.

I will replace them with brick which should never need any real maintenance. Here in the south, I've seen Trex that doesn't look good, especially around a pool where people have used oil based sun products, or has mold or mildew. So Trex needs maintenance too!
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Built my deck 3 years ago with Trex and the only thing I have to do each spring is use the power washer and it looks brand new again...

Would I do it again?? Hold on....

Yes, my DW says that I WOULD do it again!
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Good point! DW is the ultimate arbiter. Composite is what she wants, so that's most likely what I will be installing. I'll pay the premium now to avoid a lot more maintenance in the future.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

If $$ is no object check out ipe or similar exotics.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Paid a premium for decking also, only redwood. Represented as lasting forever! Now 22 years later have replaced most of the planks with treated pine and redwood color stain. Have two boards out now waiting for warm weather in order to stain them. Would never have real wood decking again.
tjwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #15

How does Trex hold up in the snow? Wooden stairs that I have now need to be repainted every year.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
How does Trex hold up in the snow? Wooden stairs that I have now need to be repainted every year.
Great. I have shoveled snow off mine with no scratches,etc so far, but I've only shoveled it a few times in 4 years.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
Good point! DW is the ultimate arbiter. Composite is what she wants, so that's most likely what I will be installing. I'll pay the premium now to avoid a lot more maintenance in the future.
How much does trek costs compared to wood? 2x, 3x?
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #18

I put in a large deck 10 years ago - pressure treated wood as foundation and grey trex on top all around including on top of the railing. It looks the same now after yearly power washing. The stair fronts were done in redwood and look old/worn. I plan on replacing them with trex in the near future. Trex is the way to go
Old 04-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I hate, hate, hate my composite deck. It isn't trex (its whatever the builder put in), but it is a mold magnet and I just spent the weekend scrubbing the mold off. It has faded a lot in five year, the scrub project will be repeated at 1-2 more times this year.

Since my mortgage rate is so low, I am strongly considering ripping it out with next year's bonus instead of paying down the loan.
Sesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #20

I guess it's basically a personal choice... being cheap I did a wood deck using PT 2x6 for planking ~12 yrs ago. Still looks ok to me, not rotted. pressure washed it last month.

Here's a landscape sites take on composite...
Composite Decking vs Wood
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote