Join Early Retirement Today

Declined for a Walmart Credit Card - possible scam?
Old 08-08-2018, 09:13 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Declined for a Walmart Credit Card - possible scam?

The title says it all. Whenever I order from Walmart.com, the site pushes their Master Card through Synchrony Bank. I finally bit and found that it gives 3% back on Walmart.com purchases, so I did the online application - giving up my SS# - and pushed the button. Usually I am instantly approved for a CC, but instead got the dreaded "Call this 877 number to discuss your application."

On calling, I had to give my SS# to a rep who asked questions, then turned me over to a Synchrony Bank rep, who again requested my SS# and asked more questions. She then requested my cell phone #, which I declined to give (I don't want any more ads on my phone). So she said to hang up my home phone and she would call me back with verification #'s. I did this. The phone rang. I picked it up. The connection was cut off.

Being a patient soul, I called the 877# again and was AGAIN asked for my SS#. The rep informed me that my application had been denied, and I would get a letter in the mail telling me why.

Anyone interested in hearing back, after said letter arrives?

Fortunately I have plenty of other CCs, but this was so strange, I thought I'd better report it. Does it sound like a scam?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #2
Administrator

Doesn't sound like a scam, more like a process that has too many steps and targeted toward a different market segment.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:22 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, I want to hear what the letter says.

No scam, just a poorly organized process that no one in their hierarchy has ever had to step through.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Are you saying my credit rating scared them off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Doesn't sound like a scam, more like a process that has too many steps and targeted toward a different market segment.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:35 AM   #5

Not a scam, but probably some glitch or rule in their application process that backfired. Or yes somehow you fell outside whatever their criteria is - even if it defies normal sense.

Might be a good time to do a quick personal credit check, ensure everything looks normal for you, then await the letter.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:35 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Are you saying my credit rating scared them off?
Maybe their target segment is someone with a salary, or at least their decision matrix has salary as an important criteria, and pension / assets are not given the same weight.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:41 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Maybe they concluded that you would likely be paying the card off every month. IIRC in the industry they call us something like "free riders."
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

It's actually worse than that. They call us "deadbeats"!
redshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift View Post
It’s their fault. They set up the parameters.

But many of us have greatly increased our use of credit cards due to the rewards offered, and they are thus making more money off of us, even if only in transaction fees.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe their target segment is someone with a salary, or at least their decision matrix has salary as an important criteria, and pension / assets are not given the same weight.
Yes.

I mentioned in another thread yesterday how we were denied a JetBlue CC because we checked the 'retired' box and our income (100% investments) seemed, ummmmm "not in line with a retired person's income". Denied. No recourse.

On the other hand, I was able to get a lease on a brand new Mercedes (with a hefty monthly payment) in minutes with zero hassle. As my salesman laughed: "That's how we got into this financial mess in the first place!"
Old 08-08-2018, 10:53 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

They asked only for yearly income. Actually I still earn a salary, too.

Quote:
Old 08-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Maybe they concluded that you would likely be paying the card off every month. IIRC in the industry they call us something like "free riders."
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift View Post
kind of what I was thinking...
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:06 AM   #13

Synchrony Bank is the same bank that Lowes uses for their CC, Synchrony Bank is the absolutely worst bank I have ever felt with bar none.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The title says it all. Whenever I order from Walmart.com, the site pushes their Master Card through Synchrony Bank. I finally bit and found that it gives 3% back on Walmart.com purchases, so I did the online application - giving up my SS# - and pushed the button. Usually I am instantly approved for a CC, but instead got the dreaded "Call this 877 number to discuss your application."

On calling, I had to give my SS# to a rep who asked questions, then turned me over to a Synchrony Bank rep, who again requested my SS# and asked more questions. She then requested my cell phone #, which I declined to give (I don't want any more ads on my phone). So she said to hang up my home phone and she would call me back with verification #'s. I did this. The phone rang. I picked it up. The connection was cut off.

Being a patient soul, I called the 877# again and was AGAIN asked for my SS#. The rep informed me that my application had been denied, and I would get a letter in the mail telling me why.

Anyone interested in hearing back, after said letter arrives?

Fortunately I have plenty of other CCs, but this was so strange, I thought I'd better report it. Does it sound like a scam?
Not a scam. Just a slur against you personally. They've decided you aren't classy enough to be a Walmart shopper.

j/k. I suspect it's just another indication of how screwed up many of their processes are. They are an amazing company as far as walking into their store and buying/returning items. But anything online or automated just doesn't seem to work well IME. They aren't making the transition to the virtual economy very gracefully.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:06 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I play the card bonus game a bit harder than the gal - we recently got mailed separate Citi card solicitations. Mine offered a 50,000 bonus for a $4000 spend while hers was for 60,000 points with a $3000 spend. Methinks Citi has twigged to the game.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Have you looked at your credit reports lately? There might be something that got on a credit report wrongly that caused the denial.

A couple of years ago I was buying a computer from Dell and was shocked to be declined. When I got the letter it became clear. DH had started the conversation with Dell and had started the application. Then I needed to talk to them about something and they supposedly switched the application to me. But...they submitted it to the bank with my name and DH's SS number. So, of course, it got rejected.

The denial letter will tell you the reason. But, if it was me, I would probably go ahead and check my credit reports. You might even ask the Walmart number which credit report they used so you would know what to look at.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I checked CreditKarma - score 830 with Transunion and 826 with Equifax. It did show a hard credit inquiry by Synchrony Bank. Which annoys me, b/c hard inquiries ding your rating and it was for nothing!
Old 08-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #18

Synchrony operates a perfectly functional on-line bank. I have money with them. The Lowe's credit card? That site is a mess. It's hard to get to, difficult to pay a bill on and the payment often does not show up for two days or more. I pay for everything from Lowe's the minute I get home with the merchandise.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I am shocked, SHOCKED! I tell you!

Synchrony runs the Amazon store card business- I use that card heavily. Also use their online bank. I haven’t had difficulties.

I suppose Walmart has their criteria......
Old 08-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

We were denied once because an error was made in entering our drivers license number by the store clerk, as explained in the denial letter. We were invited to reapply, which we did not. Maybe your denial is something stupid like this.

Tags
application denied, scam, walmart mastercard