Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All this talk of art compels me to confess. When we moved to Paradise, we had what we could carry in two suitcases each. SO our walls were a blank canvas. We bought most of our furniture at a store that specializes in recycling hotel furniture when hotels upgrade. For instance, we had very high ceilings in our first town house. We found THE VERY lobby sofa we recognized as having been in the Hilton Rainbow Tower when we first came to Paradise in 1975. It was a HUGE wicker affair with cushions of earthy greens and browns. It looked quintessentially "Island." It would not have fit in just any living space but it did fit in ours - until we moved to Leeward.

In addition we bought tables, chairs, lamps headboards, bed frames, etc. BUT we also bought "art." If you've ever been in a hotel better than a recycled Motel 6, there is always "art" on the walls. We had a choice of HUNDREDS of beautifully framed, Island appropriate prints. Some from the very best hotels. SO we picked enough to fill most of our walls and have a couple left over to change out from time to time. I think we spent $2200 to outfit our 3br townhouse with all furniture and art. The only other art that I am interested in consists of framed photos of Hawaii of the very late 1800s to early 1900s. I am fascinated to see the island life and people change as the back drop of mountains and shorelines stays more or less the same.

I agree that art in a home can be most important. Since my tastes are very simple (and inexpensive) I would never be critical of anyone else's decorations. Our place is our place and we like it - barely changing in 13 years. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2020, 04:34 PM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Unless I was truly constrained on space, I would not be tossing good original art work by a relative. I would appreciate getting such art from a past relative even if I've never met them. Good conversation piece if nothing else. I could see this lasting for generations. Even if it doesn't, I wouldn't want to be the one who stopped it.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Unless I was truly constrained on space, I would not be tossing good original art work by a relative. I would appreciate getting such art from a past relative even if I've never met them. Good conversation piece if nothing else. I could see this lasting for generations. Even if it doesn't, I wouldn't want to be the one who stopped it.
Toward the end of his life, my dad took up painting. He'd use whatever was available for a canvas (chunks of left over Masonite board, cardboard, even 1/2 inch plywood.) He wasn't very accomplished but could put together a "story" in his work. I didn't have the heart to throw his work away and no one else in the family wanted it. So, it's in the attic of the old "homestead" that the 3rd generation (my niece) owns. I'll see it again the next time I return to the mainland as we rent the homestead from niece when we visit. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:10 PM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I appreciate this sentiment RunningBum. I feel fortunate to have acquired so many pieces. I'm looking at one as I write this that was painted by my mother; a scene visible from Mom's back porch looking across a hay field beyond flower beds in our backyard and a brick farmhouse in the distance. Another my Uncle painted of 2 women ambling along the ocean shoreline; clearly the 2 women were my mother and Aunt. Precious.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:00 PM   #105
Dryer sheet aficionado

I’m surprised to hear that old stereo/video equipment might be sold... didn’t think too many people had an interest in CD or DVD players. And speakers that are probably 20-24” tall.

One thing I’ve never gotten rid of are old electronics with my data/info on it. I have one desktop, one laptop, at least 2 phones, and one tablet collecting dust. I can’t get some of them to start, so I haven’t been able to wipe them, and it makes me nervous to ditch them in case someone else is able to fix them and get some of my info. Suggestions?

I know they’re clutter, but I’m still holding on to old comic books and toys (legos and matchbox cars). I could probably get something on eBay, but I have a lot of sentimental value. My parents handed them to me so I could give them to my kids, but I never had children, so in the basement they sit, with no plans to unload them.
jrcunniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:27 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcunniff View Post
One thing I’ve never gotten rid of are old electronics with my data/info on it. I have one desktop, one laptop, at least 2 phones, and one tablet collecting dust. I can’t get some of them to start, so I haven’t been able to wipe them, and it makes me nervous to ditch them in case someone else is able to fix them and get some of my info. Suggestions?
Take them apart, pull out the storage media, then destroy the storage media. This is what I do.
Lewis Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:46 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcunniff View Post
I’m surprised to hear that old stereo/video equipment might be sold... didn’t think too many people had an interest in CD or DVD players. And speakers that are probably 20-24” tall.
My niece is an online selling guru. She scours thrift shops, It's $5 stores & sells items online. Lots of clothing on Poshmark. She has made $30K over maybe 5 years doing this! It is her wedding fund. (she graduated from college in 2019 & works full-time. She also is about to buy her 2nd rental--she is a go getter!)

She just sold Mom's DVD/VHS player--for $55!! Guess they are hard to find!
Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:04 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post
Take them apart, pull out the storage media, then destroy the storage media. This is what I do.
+1
For fun I took apart old hard drives, they have inside quite large rare earth magnets.
These magnets are very powerful and fun to have.

I've taken them on cruises, stick a magnet on the ceiling (where it's metal) and hand clothes off them.

At home we stick a regular hand towel to the fridge side with one of these magnets, it never falls off.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:14 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

I remove the hard drive(s) and drill (4) 3/8" holes through the disks with the drill press then toss it back in the case and ewaste it.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:32 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I remove the hard drive(s) and drill (4) 3/8" holes through the disks with the drill press then toss it back in the case and ewaste it.
One can do that, or what I use is a 5 lb hammer on them. I'm sure either is sufficient.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:47 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post

I have "inherited" one of those. I'll keep it until I am sure we have no remaining VHS tapes hiding in the house.
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:24 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

We've mostly finished a massive purge from my GF moving in and combining 2 homes into 1, followed by her mother selling her house and us moving 15 pickup truckloads of excess stuff to our place.

And this morning I just sold five 4' x 6' rubber workout mats I no longer need for more than what I paid for them.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:48 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

I really admire that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
My niece is an online selling guru. She scours thrift shops, It's $5 stores & sells items online. Lots of clothing on Poshmark. She has made $30K over maybe 5 years doing this! It is her wedding fund. (she graduated from college in 2019 & works full-time. She also is about to buy her 2nd rental--she is a go getter!)

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:53 AM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
One can do that, or what I use is a 5 lb hammer on them. I'm sure either is sufficient.
High Tech vs Low Tech! I'm definitely to the low end of the tech scale but YMMV.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:53 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
And this morning I just sold five 4' x 6' rubber workout mats I no longer need for more than what I paid for them.
home gym equipment is a gold mine for anyone looking to purge right now.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:02 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
home gym equipment is a gold mine for anyone looking to purge right now.
Definitely. I sold 250 pounds of excess weight plates for almost $3 a pound shortly after the gyms closed around here for the first time a few months ago. Pre-Covid they were worth $1 a pound.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote