Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Deep Freeze - which one and where to place?
Old 07-28-2015, 03:30 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Deep Freeze - which one and where to place?

Thinking of buying a 1/3 of a calf with some neighbors, but will need a freezer.

Which one is more efficient (cheap to operate) chest or upright?

Has anyone done the brain damage to calculate whether it is more efficient to place the freezer on the patio (temps range from 20 to 100 degrees) so that the heat given off the condenser doesn't heat up the house or if having inside the house uses less energy to operate over time?

One of you guys with a slide rule, can you figure this out for me? Make whatever assumptions you want for style and such.

Thanks
Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newventurer View Post
Thinking of buying a 1/3 of a calf with some neighbors, but will need a freezer.

Which one is more efficient (cheap to operate) chest or upright?

Has anyone done the brain damage to calculate whether it is more efficient to place the freezer on the patio (temps range from 20 to 100 degrees) so that the heat given off the condenser doesn't heat up the house or if having inside the house uses less energy to operate over time?

One of you guys with a slide rule, can you figure this out for me? Make whatever assumptions you want for style and such.

Thanks
An important question is where do you live if the north where heat dominates cooling in HVAC energy use then inside is a net benefit on a year round basis.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
An important question is where do you live if the north where heat dominates cooling in HVAC energy use then inside is a net benefit on a year round basis.
Thanks, I live in the South - NW Arkansas. 3 months of heat and 3 months of air and pleasant the rest of the time.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newventurer View Post
3 months of heat and 3 months of air and pleasant the rest of the time.
If I only got air 3 months out of the year I think I'd seriously consider relocating.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Chest freezers are definitely more efficient.

I would place it inside the house, in the basement (if you have one).
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No suggestion on what kind of freezer to get, but I have bought 1/4 of a cow as well as 1/2 pig a few times in the past, and this is the system I adapted and it works well. (I happened to have a chest freezer.) I bought huge ziploc storage bags and numbered them and made a list of what I put in each bag by the bag number (ex. ground, sirloin, round roast, rib eye steaks, etc) and scratched off the ones on the list I took out of the bags each time. It made a whole lot easier to find what I was looking for, plus I could pace the usage (I didn't want all ground beef left at the end or run out of it.)
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudd View Post
Chest freezers are definitely more efficient.

I would place it inside the house, in the basement (if you have one).
+ 1
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:27 PM   #8

+2. The chest freezer doesn't lose all the cold air when you open it since cold air is denser that warm.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:02 PM   #9

Chest freezer, in the house. As tmm99 suggested, use bags or freezer bins to store the meat and list what you have and cross it off as you use it. Since it's Summer, you should also blanch some veggies and freeze them. Nothing like fresh frozen veggies in the Winter. If the freezer isn't full, I put bags of ice in my freezer..........my mom told me to do that.
Quick story. I always freeze corn for the Winter and one year a girlfriend wanted to try it. She called me at work and said I must be nuts to do the corn. She said she had an awful time scoping the corn out of the pot she was using for blanching. She had cut the kernels off the cob and dumped them in the pot instead of just blanching the whole cob and then cutting off the kernels. We laughed then and every Summer she brings up her "freezer corn". She hasn't tried it since.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:55 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Great info, thanks!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:36 PM   #11

Although they are more work, a manual defrost freezer is better for food storage. Automatic defrosting warms the freezer up so the ice crystals melt and the water runs off. Over time that can compromise the food stored in the freezer. Most chest freezers are manual defrost, while most uprights now are automatic defrost.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:16 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

you can get freezers dirt cheap on craigslist
Old 07-29-2015, 11:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Although they are more work, a manual defrost freezer is better for food storage. Automatic defrosting warms the freezer up so the ice crystals melt and the water runs off. Over time that can compromise the food stored in the freezer. Most chest freezers are manual defrost, while most uprights now are automatic defrost.
You defrost your freezer with the food in it?
Old 07-29-2015, 12:05 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
You defrost your freezer with the food in it?
I think that's the point of recommending a manual, so you can remove the food when you defrost. With an automatic defrost you don't control when it happens so your food can heat up a bit and refreeze.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I think that's the point of recommending a manual, so you can remove the food when you defrost. With an automatic defrost you don't control when it happens so your food can heat up a bit and refreeze.
Ahhhh, sorry, afternoon brain damage from toooooooo long a meeting.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:17 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Aren't we confusing "defrost" with "frost-free?"
Old 07-29-2015, 05:16 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

The other thing I would check out is how much space a 1/3 cow takes.... if you do not have much in your freezer you probably could fit it in there...

I have not done it since I want more of the good cuts instead of all of the cow... but I saw a video where they put a 1/4 of a cow is a pretty small space in a top freezer fridge...

I would also suggest that they bag it and freeze it for you... then you do not have to do the bagging suggestion....
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote