Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm with the roasted vegetables people. I roast raw carrots, cauliflower, sweet potato mix. Also I buy a frozen mix called "california mix" that probably is bought for stir-fry. But I use that for roasting also. I spray my vegetables with a little 'pam-type' and then sprinkle with seasoned salt and garlic. YUM. I could probably eat that until I'm half sick. So tasty. Sometimes I roast the mix til they are completely soft, other times so they are still a little crunchy. I'm also a steel-cut oatmeal most every day person. Love that stuff.
Momcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2019, 08:08 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another roasted vegetable fan here. I make a big batch now and then in the crock pot, usually onions and potatoes with olive oil and then sometimes I'll add other veggies like carrots or cauliflower. I tried winter squash chunks recently but those had too high of a moisture content and got mushy instead of roasted, so they turned into the base for a casserole with white beans and chicken instead.

I also like stewing fruit in the crock pot. The other day I made up a big batch of organic pears with Triple Sec and apple juice.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:39 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
A big fresh salad with nothing but olive oil and pepper.

I love a big salad with EVOO, fresh squeezed lemon and salt.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:49 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Fresh cherries and peaches would be my top two. Pretty sure I could eat huge amounts of roasted brussel sprouts, lobster, crab legs, and perfectly cooked fresh salmon.
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Those little cutie/halo tangerines
Clif Chocolate ZBars
Fiber one haystacks super easy
Salmon and sweet potatoes
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:12 PM   #86

Or, you can restate your goal: rather than finding a LOT of something to eat, you can be free to eat whatever you want in reasonable portions. (And, reasonable is spelled out in a lot of guidelines). A half cup of some rice concoction. 3-5 oz of meat (and feel free to eat less). Two small cookies or one medium. Cooked vegetables with a teaspoon to a tablespoon of sauce or butter. It's another path that you can take.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:55 PM   #87

I added some smoked paprika yesterday to my favorite roasted veggie 'dressing'...delicious. Italian seasoning, crushed fresh garlic, red pepper flakes, olive oil and paprika.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Falafel
Old 02-26-2019, 07:23 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Falafel

>> How about some Falafel and Homous, all vegetarian and yummy.

I second and third Falafel as a tasty and healthy vegetarian alternative, my favorite.
jayanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:20 PM   #89
Dryer sheet wannabe

I never leave Costco without a pound of smoked salmon - usually wild. What a great breakfast on whole wheat toast - or Einstein bagels when I'm feeling adventurous. Just a little cream cheese - when i ran out of cream cheese, surprisingly a little smart balance on the toasted bread turns out to be very good.

One pound only lasts for 8 breakfasts - prompts me to go to Costco more than once a month.

They just raised the price to $20 - but I'm addicted - everyone has their vices.
Easy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:12 PM   #90
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Sounds like cauliflower is both healthy and good-tasting. But, what I was originally looking for was something that is delicious (yet healthy) and that I want to eat a until my eyes roll back in my head and my face falls into my plate (or disappears into a large tub of high calorie ice cream). I'm asking: is there a heathy food that is so delicious that people will continue eat until they become nauseous?

I had a coworker whose FIL owned a peach orchard. He once showed up to work with bushels of fresh peaches in the back of his truck. Long story short, I amazed my crew in a legendary feat of peach consumption and was called “Peaches” for years afterward.

I regret nothing.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:45 PM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

Chocolate Pudding

I have given up sugar and was looking for some healthy desserts and came across a couple of things to deal with my love of chocolate.
Montezuma 100 pct dark chocolate bar at Trader Joe’s has no sugar.Take a bite along with a bite of date and it is very good.You can add an almond if you like.

Chocolate pudding recipe.
1/2 cup dates.1 1/2 cups coconut milk.1/3 cup 100 pct unsweetened cocoa powder(Trader Joe’s has a great one)1 medium sized baked sweet potato.About 1/4 of the Montezuma chocolate bar.If you like add a couple tablespoons or so of real peanut butter.Put it all in the vitamix and blend until smooth.Refrigerate for several hours.
Pretty darn good and healthy too.I have tried almond milk but it is better with coconut milk.
JJpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:51 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Once you quit eating the unhealthy food it is quite easy to find an extreme number of great tasting healthy foods.It is simply an attitude change.Pretty soon you will hate the taste of junk food.
JJpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:29 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Delicious has to do with cooking methods, seasonings, sauces, etc. A piece of chicken and some herbs/spices, and voila, Chinese, Thai, Italian, Indian, Mexican...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:49 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Yes.

Just search the Web for different ways to cook chicken, and you will be amazed.

And when I learned to cook, I discovered that it is a wonderful pastime, and an ER needs some pastimes.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:55 AM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Bought Wasa Crispbreads the other day at Big Lots. About 30 calories each. They come in Sourdough, light rye, and multigrain. Topped one yesterday with homemade eggplant hummus made with, obviously, eggplant, a clove of garlic, and chickpeas. Really good. The crispbread has a great crunch and that is something we sometimes miss in a healthy diet.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #96

Quote:
Great idea. Do add some sort of liquid (or anything else), to make it silky(?)?
IMHO, no need to. The almond butter is pretty creamy all by itself. It's a pretty popular area of dispensers. I guess you could use fresh almonds and throw in a few cocoa chips, maybe some coconut chips...grind it all up. Thank god the harvest market is only 4 blocks from my house.

There's nothing like a food processor. It's so easy to take whole apples, remove the stem but leave the seeds and skin, blend in food processor with cinnamon. a little lemon to keep color. Forget the store applesauce and you get all that fiber.

Or take chick peas, lemon and make hummus.
Don't get me going on smoothies.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:39 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
There's nothing like a food processor. It's so easy to take whole apples, remove the stem but leave the seeds and skin, blend in food processor with cinnamon. a little lemon to keep color. Forget the store applesauce and you get all that fiber.
Do you do this with fresh, raw apples?
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:02 AM   #98
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Inspired by Midpack's thread: "Beyond Meat Burger...," I realized once again, that foods that I find to be delicious are usually unhealthy or very unhealthy (or both). Are there foods that are both healthy and delicious that you can eat a whole lot of (or whatever measurement you choose) everyday and still live to tell the tale?
Roasted veggies are easy and are more satisfying than french fries! I could eat a big plate of them every day and never grow tired of them.

Toss your choice of cauliflower, red peppers, asparagus, potatoes, green beans, brussels sprouts, broccoli, sweet potatoes, etc. in some (1 tbsp?) olive oil, add some sea salt and maybe a garlic clove or two in the paper and sprigs of thyme, roast for 20 min or so.
AmieVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:07 AM   #99
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Sounds like cauliflower is both healthy and good-tasting. But, what I was originally looking for was something that is delicious (yet healthy) and that I want to eat a until my eyes roll back in my head and my face falls into my plate (or disappears into a large tub of high calorie ice cream). I'm asking: is there a heathy food that is so delicious that people will continue eat until they become nauseous?

Maybe you should try running.
AmieVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:16 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
Oatmeal. I have a cup of oatmeal daily for the last 10 years. It works.

Worked for one of my heroes - Dick Proenneke. He used steel-cut animal feed grade!