Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Delta SkyMiles < American Airline Miles
Old 05-03-2009, 05:57 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Delta SkyMiles < American Airline Miles

Has anyone use Delta SkyMiles to book flights? I have about 80,000 miles from a credit card but it seems like a hassle to find decent flights with the miles.

I've used American Airline miles before and it works much better and requires a lot less miles. For future credit cards I'll probably stick with AA and cash back cards and stay away from Delta.
bank5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #2

Booked sky miles for several years, and noticed increasing difficulty finding flights with reasonable schedules over the last few years. So, we switched to a cash-back card. Figured we'd rather have cash to spend on tickets, and it would give us quite a bit more flexibility.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I noticed this too when I was looking at spending a couple bucks to get enough Delta miles to get a free flight. Well, the "free" flight cost a good bit of money, and had a couple too many connections and 12 hour long layovers to make it worthwhile. I'd rather just pay the $200-300 out of pocket and get a reasonable schedule on the airline of my choosing.

I did notice in comparison that united has a really good mileage program. I prefer the cashback to miles regardless though because cash is more flexible.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have only used my Delta miles for 1 round trip flight, so far. It was the flight I wanted (one I take regularly) and I only had to pay some sort of a usage fee. It might have been $75....can't really remember now.

I didn't have any problems and don't remember anything unusual about booking the flight online.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use Delta miles and it works well for me. We just booked a trip online from Boston to San Diego for 25K miles. They've improved their website and you now can book a trip with ease. You can also pay partially in miles if you choose so.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
I use Delta miles and it works well for me. We just booked a trip online from Boston to San Diego for 25K miles.
Damn, you must have had about 2 months of flexibility in your exact
travel dates. Or else somebody in Delta management had a little shame,
or very possibility some of those gov't regulators got after 'em.
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
gone traveling

I just booked a vacation trip for the DW's parents, using some of my UA miles. . I could have used DL, but it would have required a connection thru Atlanta (Doesn't DELTA stand for Damn! Everythng Leaves Through Atlanta- or maybe it's Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive; I can never remember which)? They preferred the UA connections, so that is what we went with.

With the DL/NW merger I was recently given the option of combining my miles, with a small bonus for doing so. I did, and now have 200K+ DL SkyMiles. Never had any real problem trying to use them in the past, understanding that they don't offer them for every seat on every flight.

As a FF with over 2.5 million actual flight miles, I don't think DL is any worse than the other carriers on redeeming mileage- granted, most of mine is paid mileage, not credit card miles, maybe the award programs are different.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote