Join Early Retirement Today

Dental X-Ray Shows Cavity, No Pain, Fix?
Old 06-27-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dental X-Ray Shows Cavity, No Pain, Fix?

The full set of dental X-rays showed some decay that the dentist says I should fix. This violates my new "wait for pain before fixing" philosophy. I have had no pain or discomfort with any of my teeth. The visual exam didn't show anything.

I've generally followed the dentist's recommendation in the past. However, note that seven years ago this dentist recommended that I fix a crack that he found seven years ago. I didn't fix it, and have had no problems.

What do you think?
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The full set of dental X-rays showed some decay that the dentist says I should fix. This violates my new "wait for pain before fixing" philosophy. I have had no pain or discomfort with any of my teeth. The visual exam didn't show anything.
I've generally followed the dentist's recommendation in the past. However, note that seven years ago this dentist recommended that I fix a crack that he found seven years ago. I didn't fix it, and have had no problems.
What do you think?
I think you need a new dentist!

X-rays can catch the decay way before it hits the tooth's pulp or nerve, and by the time a cavity gets that far you may be talking crown or root canal. So it's better to act before the pain than after. Of course you may be able to inspire a dentist to help you find the pain with one of their probes?

I've been told that an early-stage cavity can occasionally re-mineralize with frequent flossing (to get the plaque off) and a fluoride rinse like "Act". My dentist noted a shadow on one of my X-rays and made that recommendation. I zealously followed the advice and when I went back (two years later) the shadow was gone. I'll let you know in a year whether it comes back...

I also get a lot of complaining about my 30-year-old fillings, especially the threat that the tooth will crack or the amalgam filling will fall out and poison me if the pain doesn't kill me first. So perhaps all dentists are like yours.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
seven years ago this dentist recommended that I fix a crack that he found seven years ago. I didn't fix it, and have had no problems.
what is that saying? something about making future projections based on past performance?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

According to my dad who taught at tufts until a few years ago, you definitely dont want to wait to fill a cavity until you're in pain

Small fillings are a whole lot better than big ones.

And yeah, consider another dentist. If you had an actual crack in a tooth you wouldnt have gotten away it for 7 years...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Funny, I went to the dentist today and had a small cavity. It will be filled in August before it gets big and damages the tooth.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Well I'm not licensed to practice dentistry in your state, or any other state, but it has always been my philosophy to get any possible dental problems taken care of ASAP. I seem to know that if I have a cavity, for example, that it will not get better on it's own and will probably get worse.

As much as I hate a visit to the DDS, I hate a long visit to the DDS a few years later even more. Also, it seems cost effective to take care of PM like I do with the house and cars.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

A dentist told me I had a crack that I could probably safely ignore for awhile. Not a good idea! He didn't figure on me eating roasted almonds. The inner surface sheared off and I was stuck with an emergency visit to get a temporary, then a crown. I would have needed the crown anyway, but I prefer not to discover hunks of tooth in my mouth.

As to caries, if you trust your dentist get them done. Like the others say you can get in some real trouble letting this infection go. Ever notice that people with some money or dental insurance look better as they age?

It's because they still have teeth.

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:56 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
As to caries, if you trust your dentist get them done. Like the others say you can get in some real trouble letting this infection go. Ever notice that people with some money or dental insurance look better as they age?

It's because they still have teeth.

Ha
Tony Hillerman noted in one of his Chee/Leaphorn novels that one of the few remaining class indicators was the quality/straightness of a person's teeth.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:02 PM   #9

This isn't a paint chip on your car's fender. I would guess that dentistry would be a good area to LAYM and get that thing fixed.

I'm going to guess by your question that you have never had an abcess or root canal?
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:17 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Al, hernias and cavities need to be fixed even if they don't hurt. Or they will hurt later. Time to modify your philosophy just a bit.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:50 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Al, hernias and cavities need to be fixed even if they don't hurt. Or they will hurt later. Time to modify your philosophy just a bit.
my thoughts exactly. Go get yer choppers fixed ya cheapskate!!
Old 06-27-2007, 10:34 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

OK, OK, I'll do it. Thanks for the advice.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:55 PM   #13

i say let it ride. why spend the few hundred bucks? just wait, endure the pain as long as possible, then pay a few thousand when you cant bear it any more! thats what i do....but at least i earned 5% on my saved hundreds while the deay set in

jk....git er done
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:50 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone decide to get every tooth yanked during the retirement process and just wear fake teeth when you need them?

My teeth drive me nuts, I really neglected them during my time in the Marines being deployed and stuff, only brushing once a day sometimes, so I am having lots of problems now, thankfully just back teeth and not my front ones, but I have already had 3 molars pulled, and a wisdom tooth.

Really sucks we do not get a new set of teeth when we are 30-40, or be like sharks and just replace bad ones all the time.

Just seems like it would be much easier to have "perfect" fake teeth, that you drop in cleaner at night, then all the health problems associated with teeth. Which reminds me, I just got 2 pulled a few weeks ago, and stopped getting massive sinus headaches before every rain, and then you hear about people who have heart problems because of their bad teeth.
Bigritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:21 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

False teeth present a whole new set of challenges. I've been putting my $ on visits to the hygenist every 4 months - for a while every 3, at least partially because of the heart attack/gum disease link. It's a rear guard battle, but the size of my gum pockets is greatly reduced, bleeding gums are a thing of the past, and tooth cleaning doesn't have to feel like a visit to Dr. Mengele. (alternatively, Marathon Man: "is it safe?"). I also recommend a health store product - Beta Glucan - if you do end up with infection in your mouth. Seemed to work, better than times in my checkered past when i used to smuggle drugs across the Mexican border, specifically, Amoxicillin, which you really shouldn't overuse and build a resistance too.*
*I'm no dentist or health care pro - i didn't even stay in a motel last night.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:27 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Theres a lot of new technology coming around for tooth replacement and even a process for stimulating the jaw and growing a whole new tooth. I posted an article to it some time ago, requires some stuff hooked up inside your mouth for a couple of weeks to make it happen.

Not as cool as sharks teeth, but if we had that i'd also want a frickin laser beam on my head.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:57 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wish my old dentist would have stayed. The one that gave me laughing gas and stereo headphones at the drop of a hat....(sigh). I asked her for black light posters, but that never happened. I had them trained. What a loss!!

Dentists that will use gas seem few and far between. I'm too old to suck the propellant gas out of whipped cream cans any more.....
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:36 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
.... I'm too old to suck the propellant gas out of whipped cream cans any more.....
Oh come on - no you're not!
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:47 AM   #19

From a cost-savings perspective - a little ol' filling ain't gonna hurt your pocket book as much as a friggin root canal or crown!

and waitin' till it hurts is surely asking for more trouble!

i've spent way too much money salvaging my mouth full of craters and i know it will always plague me, my sister is no more vigilant at cleaning than i am and may have had 2 cavities in her life.

and as far as i'm concerned, dental technology is advancing at a snail's pace - you can get all kinds or other problems from root canals or implants...
Old 06-29-2007, 10:48 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Theres a lot of new technology coming around for tooth replacement and even a process for stimulating the jaw and growing a whole new tooth. I posted an article to it some time ago, requires some stuff hooked up inside your mouth for a couple of weeks to make it happen.

Not as cool as sharks teeth, but if we had that i'd also want a frickin laser beam on my head.
O wow that does sound neat, although with my luck they would come in crooked and I would need braces, and being the cheap bastard that I am, I would just get it pulled
Bigritchie is offline   Reply With Quote