Dentist Issue: What would you do? (Long)

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Getting a tooth prepped for a crown is never fun, but I've gotten through it fine with no pain afterward. This time was different. My mouth, jaw, and tongue are really sore. Evidently the burr touched my tongue - although nothing was said, the tray had bloodstained cotton wads.

Background: After my last exam, the dentist said two of my bottom left molars (20 and 21) needed crowns. These molars had very large old restorations. The teeth were starting to crack from grinding (I used to wear a night guard, and have started wearing Invisalign retainers).

The crown appointment was this morning, for both crowns. The dentist who prescribed the crowns is away, and the other two dentists there, who've worked on my teeth and husband's teeth, have left the practice. The new one seemed nice, but once he got going, things went downhill.

He said he had trouble reaching the tooth because my mouth was the smallest he'd ever worked on and would not open enough. I've never been told this before (At 5 feet 7.5" I am not a small woman, compared with many). And I've never had this much discomfort.

He pushed off the prep for the second crown three weeks. Although I prepaid for both crowns, I feel like looking for another practice that accepts my insurance.

Am I overreacting? What would you do?

Getting a tooth prepped for a crown is never fun, but I've gotten through it fine with no pain afterward. This time was different. My mouth, jaw, and tongue are really sore. Evidently the burr touched my tongue - although nothing was said, the tray had bloodstained cotton wads.

Background: After my last exam, the dentist said two of my bottom left molars (20 and 21) needed crowns. These molars had very large old restorations. The teeth were starting to crack from grinding (I used to wear a night guard, and have started wearing Invisalign retainers).

The crown appointment was this morning, for both crowns. The dentist who prescribed the crowns is away, and the other two dentists there, who've worked on my teeth and husband's teeth, have left the practice. The new one seemed nice, but once he got going, things went downhill.

He said he had trouble reaching the tooth because my mouth was the smallest he'd ever worked on and would not open enough. I've never been told this before (At 5 feet 7.5" I am not a small woman, compared with many). And I've never had this much discomfort.

He pushed off the prep for the second crown three weeks. Although I prepaid for both crowns, I feel like looking for another practice that accepts my insurance.

I think you and I may need to compete for the smallest mouth. Dentists had frequently commented that my mouth was much too small and could not open as widely as they would like. I am 5 ft 7 inches. :)

Back to the question. If I don't trust a dentist I don't go back to them. However, they are holding your new crown and money so it is difficult to get out of it.

I have gone to several dental practice through the years and have also left them because either the dentist was unskilled or that they were running a dental mill practice whose sole goal was to push for unnecessary expensive procedures.

Dentists haven't had this much trouble in the past. Then again, my dentists up till now have mostly been Asian women with very small hands. The last male dentist who worked on me was also very slight in build.

I don't get the feeling it's a dental-mill practice. They have always had good explanations for why a procedure is needed.

I think you and I may need to compete for the smallest mouth. Dentists had frequently commented that my mouth was much too small and could not open as widely as they would like. I am 5 ft 7 inches. :)

There are other dentists at the same practice. What is the protocol for asking for a different dentist?

I don't like to create bad feelings in the office, but I do feel this dentist can't manage my care as well as others have done in the past. My tongue is so sore I'm wondering how I can eat supper.

There are other dentists at the same practice. What is the protocol for asking for a different dentist?

I don't like to create bad feelings in the office, but I do feel this dentist can't manage my care as well as others have done in the past. My tongue is so sore I'm wondering how I can eat supper.

I think you should just be straight forward in your discussion with the office staff to assign a different dentist for your second crown. If they are a decent practice they would find you a different dentist.

retired dentist here. you say you had 20 and 21 done. those are premolars not molars. the molars on the left side would be 18 and 19 (excluding the wisdom tooth). sometimes working further in the back especially on second molars can be more difficult. normally if you were prepping two teeth next to each other you would do them both at the same time. is it possible you ate something after having the work done while you were still numb? I have seen where a patient accidently injured their tongue while eating because it was numb. obviously if you are not comfortable with this dentist you should ask to see one of the others. this should not cause a problem.

I use our university dental school clinic for just the type of reasons cited here. Like it or not, a dentist is effectively a commissioned salesperson who really believes in his product. Also, there is no quality control.

At the "U" recently DW's student dentist and her professor had a long discussion about whether a crown was necessary as DW's former storefront dentist had recommended. Answer: Not. For QC, every step the student dentist takes is reviewed with a professor ahead of time and inspected afterwards.

Oh, and the prices are half or less of retail. Hard to find something at the clinic to not like.

Thanks for the clarification about what to call the teeth.

I was supposed to have both crowns done at the same time. The dentist decided to do only the one.

The injury to my tongue definitely happened during the procedure. I did not eat anything before the procedure, and waited for numbness to wear off before eating. By that time the tongue base was really sore. Like when you bite your tongue, only worse. It hurts to eat.

I realize "things" can happen during any procedure. I would have expected him to say something like "I accidentally nicked the base of the tongue" or "because I had to do so much X, the base of your tongue may be sore, here's what you should do." He said nothing. Either he didn't notice, or he didn't want to admit what happened.

Also, it was OK for him to tell me one time that my mouth space is smaller than he's used to. But he mentioned it 3 times by actual count. What's a patient supposed to do?

retired dentist here. you say you had 20 and 21 done. those are premolars not molars. the molars on the left side would be 18 and 19 (excluding the wisdom tooth). sometimes working further in the back especially on second molars can be more difficult. normally if you were prepping two teeth next to each other you would do them both at the same time. is it possible you ate something after having the work done while you were still numb? I have seen where a patient accidently injured their tongue while eating because it was numb. obviously if you are not comfortable with this dentist you should ask to see one of the others. this should not cause a problem.

Today's dentist told me he had reviewed my X-rays in hopes of finding that I didn't really need two crowns, as a previous dentist had recommended. He said that on the surface, the teeth don't look that bad but the X-rays show cracking.

I use our university dental school clinic for just the type of reasons cited here. Like it or not, a dentist is effectively a commissioned salesperson who really believes in his product. Also, there is no quality control.

At the "U" recently DW's student dentist and her professor had a long discussion about whether a crown was necessary as DW's former storefront dentist had recommended. Answer: Not. For QC, every step the student dentist takes is reviewed with a professor ahead of time and inspected afterwards.

Oh, and the prices are half or less of retail. Hard to find something at the clinic to not like.

He mentioned that your mouth is the smallest mouth 3 times as an indirect hint that he nicked your tongue. Just saying...

Ask for a different dentist if your favorite will not be there.
Sounds like you have a decent dental group and not a mill.

The practice has had a complete turnover of dentists. They are all new to me!

One opened his own practice (too far for us to go); one moved out West; one decided to extend her maternity leave and may not come back for a long time.

Ask for a different dentist if your favorite will not be there.
Sounds like you have a decent dental group and not a mill.

I agree. He was defensive.

I don't want to get into a wrangle. Guess I'll just call and see how it goes. Possibly he isn't any more anxious to work on me and my small mouth than I am to have him in there.

He mentioned that your mouth is the smallest mouth 3 times as an indirect hint that he nicked your tongue. Just saying...

Missed the bit about all new dentists. Dang.
I suspect you're right, he is not anxious to work on your tiny mouth again. :>)

+1

I believe that. My last dental office I was told I have the biggest jaw they'd ever seen. I was a patient there for about 10 years before they mentioned it. Sadly it was during a full lower impression that was one of the most painful experiences I've ever had. Now the tech did apologize profusely during and after the procedure. I've since moved and changed dentist and mentioned my ginormous jaw.... not so much in my new dentist's opinion.

OP I would tell the office your experience and expectations. I understand stuff happens during some procedures but an apology even without admission of fault is a basic human thing.

The dentist who prescribed the crowns is away, and the other two dentists there, who've worked on my teeth and husband's teeth, have left the practice. The new one seemed nice, but once he got going, things went downhill.

Is there any reason you could not have waited for the dentist who prescribed the crowns to return, or cannot wait for them to return to continue the work?

If all other aspects of the practice are fine, I would at least go and have a detailed talk with them about your concerns. And wait, if you can, for the dentist who prescribed the crowns to return. I posted in the "toothache" thread a brief comment about why we are switching practices, due to both the incompetence of the new dentists and the rudeness of the office staff.

Is there any reason you could not have waited for the dentist who prescribed the crowns to return, or cannot wait for them to return to continue the work?

If all other aspects of the practice are fine, I would at least go and have a detailed talk with them about your concerns. And wait, if you can, for the dentist who prescribed the crowns to return. I posted in the "toothache" thread a brief comment about why we are switching practices, due to both the incompetence of the new dentists and the rudeness of the office staff.

Previous dentist has left the practice.

I think the front desk is used to ppl having preferences or asking for a change and it won't be a big deal to tryva diff dentist when you go back. I am extremely loyal to my hygienist and will only schedule for her. If she's out unexpectedly i reschedule. Front desk "gets it"

I definitely wouldn’t let that dentist near me again. That’s really bad that he didn’t tell you that he injured you.

I think you should just be straight forward in your discussion with the office staff to assign a different dentist for your second crown. If they are a decent practice they would find you a different dentist.

I agree 100%. I did that with my prior dental hygienists. I felt she wasn’t gentle enough and the office staff kindly guided me towards a different hygienist that I loved.

Previous dentist has left the practice.

OK, I was confused by this line in the original post: "The dentist who prescribed the crowns is away" ... which could be interpreted as "away on vacation/leave".

I would be wary of anything prescribed by someone who is no longer there to see it through... at that point I would find a more stable practice.

OK, I was confused by this line in the original post: "The dentist who prescribed the crowns is away" ... which could be interpreted as "away on vacation/leave".

I would be wary of anything prescribed by someone who is no longer there to see it through... at that point I would find a more stable practice.

I believe the prescribing dentist is on maternity leave (and may or may not return). That's if I'm reading the details above correctly.

Sometimes you just have to leave.

Once my long-term dentist sold his practice I started getting the upsell from the new owners.

The dentist assigned to me wanted to treat one tooth with multiple fillings with a root canal & crown...conveniently their office had a crown-making machine right there.

So I switched to an older, more conservative dentist I knew through church.

He was able to keep that tooth going for several more years before needing a root canal (done by an outside endodontist) & the porcelain crown he ordered from an outside lab cost half what the one made in-house at the previous practice would have cost me.

And also agreed to use amalgam whenever possible...composite restorations don't last long with me at all.

This was my impression, based on info hastily imparted by staff. It wasn't 100% clear if the female dentist, who diagnosed me but has never worked on me, would return. When I speak to the staff, I will ask.

I believe the prescribing dentist is on maternity leave (and may or may not return). That's if I'm reading the details above correctly.

Be careful with these recommendations to replace teeth with crowns. If the build-up is not done properly, the pulp can be injured which can lead to pain and a root canal treatment which involves drilling through the new crown. I would start looking for a new dentist. I have found that the best dentists are the one's that still teach at university dental schools and have a private practice to maintain their skills. The only issue is that these dentists only work in their private practice 1-2 days per week so you have to work around their schedule.

Back
Top Bottom