Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #101
Gone but not forgotten

Latest info on insurance companies bowing out of nursing home insurance.

High Nursing Home Bills Squeeze Insurers, Driving Rates Up - ABC News

Quote:
Thirty years ago, insurance companies had the answer to the soaring cost of caring for the elderly. Plan ahead and buy a policy that will cover your expenses.

Now, there's a new problem: Even insurers think it's unaffordable.

Life insurance firms pitched long-term care policies as the prudent way for Americans to shoulder the cost of staying in nursing homes. But those same companies have found that long-term-care policies are squeezing their profits. Earnings for life insurers slid 11 percent in the most recent quarter, according to Moody's Investors Service, and long-term care was the chief culprit.

"Insurers that sell these products lose money on them," says Vincent Lui, a life-insurance analyst at Morningstar. "So they're raising prices and also trying to get out of the business right and left."

Four of the five largest providers — including Manulife and MetLife — have either scaled back their business or stopped selling new policies, according to Moody's. The largest provider, Genworth Financial, continues to offer them, yet has struggled under the weight of rising costs.
more...
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2015, 07:34 AM   #102
Gone but not forgotten

One more recent article about choosing a retirement community. This one from "Money".
Posting here as a continuation of the discussion, for information purposes.

The article covers a comparison of rates by area of the country, for different levels of continuous care, as well as this interesting comment:
Quote:
Expect the move to take time. You may think you’ll be able to get Uncle Matt into a new apartment in a couple of weeks. The actual process takes an average of three months—or longer, if you’re on a waiting list.
Retirement Community: A Smart Way to Choose

There's also a link to "A Place for Mom"... senior living.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For those who might qualify, may I just mention a program called V.A. Medical Foster Home.

This is where a person (or a family) takes care of two or three veterans in their home. The people running the Medical Foster Home provide a room, meals, assistance with the activities of daily living, etc. -- and medical care/medical management is through the V.A. Primary Care at Home program (the nurse practitioner comes to the house, the nurse comes to the house, meds are delivered to the house, other disciplines come to the house).

It costs around 1/2 to 1/4 of nursing home cost, depending on the level of care (and perhaps geography). A relative in this program paid $2625 - $2800 per month for heavy care.

Only if a specialty doctor is needed is the veteran taken to the VA hospital or system.

The gateway to this program (in areas where it exists) is the local V.A. Medical Foster Home social worker.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:28 AM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
For those who might qualify, may I just mention a program called V.A. Medical Foster Home.

This is where a person (or a family) takes care of two or three veterans in their home. The people running the Medical Foster Home provide a room, meals, assistance with the activities of daily living, etc. -- and medical care/medical management is through the V.A. Primary Care at Home program (the nurse practitioner comes to the house, the nurse comes to the house, meds are delivered to the house, other disciplines come to the house).

It costs around 1/2 to 1/4 of nursing home cost, depending on the level of care (and perhaps geography). A relative in this program paid $2625 - $2800 per month for heavy care.

Only if a specialty doctor is needed is the veteran taken to the VA hospital or system.

The gateway to this program (in areas where it exists) is the local V.A. Medical Foster Home social worker.
Is this program available for the surviving spouse of 21 year retired veteran? I am guessing not, but MIL is getting some benefits due to her husband disabilities associated with service. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:33 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
One more recent article about choosing a retirement community. This one from "Money".
Posting here as a continuation of the discussion, for information purposes.

The article covers a comparison of rates by area of the country, for different levels of continuous care, as well as this interesting comment:

Retirement Community: A Smart Way to Choose

There's also a link to "A Place for Mom"... senior living.
Very timely, imoldernu. Thanks for posting. Just talked to DW this morning about needs to accelerate our decisions, based on her mom's rapidly deteriorating condition

48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:18 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
Plus, it helps that it's a non-profit and self-owned. It's been popular, filled, and thriving for over 25 years. People move to it from all over the country because of its national reputation. (Plus the place costs less in northeast Ohio than in--say-- Northern California where my mom's room in assisted living runs $4K/mo. But, granted, she pd. only a nominal up-front fee; but, if she runs out of money, she's out. If I run out of money, I won't be.)
Northeast Ohio reminds me that Kendal at Oberlin might be cool if I don't mind going back to terrible weather...
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:01 PM   #107
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
Is this program available for the surviving spouse of 21 year retired veteran? I am guessing not, but MIL is getting some benefits due to her husband disabilities associated with service. Thanks!

I don't know but it's not hard to ask a Medical Foster Home Social Worker. I know there's one in Dallas at the V.A.

Kindest regards.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health