Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-27-2019, 04:51 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprink-Fitter View Post
I wonder why people that hate the cold stay in the cold state they live in.

Lots of reasons - family, friends, dislike of extremely hot/humid weather during the summer, financial considerations, recreational opportunities that would be hard to duplicate elsewhere, etc, etc.. In our case, we live in an area with a cold climate, but we snowbird for 3 months (might be 4 soon) to escape the worst of the winter. I will probably never move my permanent home out of the Upper Midwest, for all of the above reasons, but that doesn't mean I have to stay there for 12 months each year.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2019, 08:49 PM   #62
Gone but not forgotten

Florida has been cold . I have had the heat on a lot more than previous years.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:51 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Florida has been cold . I have had the heat on a lot more than previous years.
I'll be sure to think about you sad souls in Florida when i'm getting out of work and getting into my car that's been sitting outside for 12 hours when it's -20, -45 with the windchill in a couple days.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:11 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

The local temperature here has been in the high 40s for the low, and high 60s for the high.

I have been exercising my DIY solar power storage system for testing, and not yet having it hooked into the house wiring system, been using the harvested power to run portable electric heaters via an extension cord to burn off the collected power.

The daily power collection is around 15kWh, which is puny for a 5.5kW system, but that's because its orientation is optimized for summer operation (to operate the AC).

The "free" heat keeps the room where the heaters are located at the low 70s during the day, and the high 60s during the night. Yes, one heater is kept running throughout the night with the stored juice.

A gain of 3x to 4x in kWh would result if that power were used to run a heat pump, and this is in the plan.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:25 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I'll be sure to think about you sad souls in Florida when i'm getting out of work and getting into my car that's been sitting outside for 12 hours when it's -20, -45 with the windchill in a couple days.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:24 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
now now remember we will have 90+ degrees for 6 straight months soon enough.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:37 AM   #67
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
Some of the older homes and beach bungalows in the Miami area and Keys do not even heat. When the temps drop to 40 degrees for an hour or two, the locals just deal with it.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:50 AM   #68
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
That's true and when the weather is hot I tend to eat less ( and drink more), and when the weather is cold I tend to go into hibernation and eat more.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:40 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

I'm on my way to Florida (driving) and it's about 40F here. My hometown is currently -35C with a low of -39 expected. -40C and -40F are the same. Last night the windchill reached -51C or -60F. I definitely left at the right time!!!
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:49 PM   #70

A question about cars -
Now that I'm FIREed, I have the luxury of staying home during this two day cold snap. Should I start my car daily? I am not planning to use it until this cold is over. It is not garaged. I am not in the extrem-est cold that people are experiencing. It has gotten up to 15 today and will be in the 20s tomorrow, and then above freezing on Saturday. My sense is that I don't need to - the car is fairly recent, 2017. But I wanted to ask, as there are people here who do know!
Old 01-31-2019, 12:52 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
A question about cars -
Now that I'm FIREed, I have the luxury of staying home during this two day cold snap. Should I start my car daily? I am not planning to use it until this cold is over. It is not garaged. I am not in the extrem-est cold that people are experiencing. It has gotten up to 15 today and will be in the 20s tomorrow, and then above freezing on Saturday. My sense is that I don't need to - the car is fairly recent, 2017. But I wanted to ask, as there are people here who do know!
No. On a newer car, the most likely problem is that extreme cold will weaken the battery and you’d need a jump or a new battery. Starting it won’t change that and may even cause it. Being a 2017, your battery is not even old enough to have a problem. Relax.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:34 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
My wife is from the UP. Just looked at forecast. brrr now I know the real reason she married me 49 years ago. She wanted to move to where it was much warmer

During a cold snap, the parts of the UP near The Big Lake are among the warmest places in the midwest. There was a morning last year (or was it the year before?) where it was +15 in the Keweenaw, the same temp as Atlanta. Directly west of the UP in the interior of northern Minnesota, it was a full 50 degrees colder. And Chicago was 30 degrees colder.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Did i mention I hate the cold..
Old 01-31-2019, 01:41 PM   #73

Did i mention I hate the cold..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
A question about cars -

Cold saps a batteries output and thickens the oil.. so harder to turnover with less juice.. newer car should be fine especially if you wait to a heat wave of 25 degrees. I remember skiing in Vermont teens below zero we got up every 3 hours and started the car all night long. Result ->car was fine in the morning. Girls with new trans am next to us vapor lock and no start
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:00 PM   #74
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprink-Fitter View Post
I wonder why people that hate the cold stay in the cold state they live in.
I can't convince anyone (anyone!) to move.

Moving by myself without the wife and 3 kids would have dire consequences.

They ask me if I'm ok when I say I want to get out of this winter hole. I think it is the opposite.

Stasis is hard to move.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:00 PM   #75
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Bring on the 90 degrees, I still got things done every day this last Summer, including a 200' trench for new 220V service for the shop I am building. and working on several cars/backhoe. We also went camping about every other weekend through the Summer.

This cold crap has kept me inside rebuilding a bathroom, but too cold lately to do even that .
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:02 PM   #76
gone traveling

I just told my wife a few minutes ago (while wearing my hoodie indoors) that we are going to replace windows, and furnace this year...I can't take another year of cold rooms, and shivering in my own house.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:42 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom2708 View Post
I can't convince anyone (anyone!) to move.

Moving by myself without the wife and 3 kids would have dire consequences.

They ask me if I'm ok when I say I want to get out of this winter hole. I think it is the opposite.

Stasis is hard to move.
I love the people of North Dakota. They are the epitome of "Midwest nice." I remember approaching a highway construction zone with a lane closure in the Fargo area ... everyone moved in an orderly fashion to the open lane, and we got through with little delay.

Compare that with South Florida, overpopulated and underbuilt. A semi passed me once in the breakdown lane while I was driving on I-95 near Miami. Thanks but no thanks.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:34 PM   #78
Dryer sheet wannabe

I can't take the (summer) heat - this past summer instead of the occasional day in the 90s and humid, we had weeks at a time. I've never had to consider air conditioning before, but it may be in my future. I ended up sleeping on the back porch a lot to keep cool.

For winters, I'm much happier... keep the furnace set to 60 degrees (so it kicks on at night) and use the wood stove during the day. We've not had the horrendously low temperatures here in NH as the mid west, etc., but I'll be glad to see temperatures in the teens tomorrow! I've always loved wearing a flannel!

When I bought my house, there was no garage - which I thought was insane. I scraped up the dough and it was the first thing I added - what a difference. The second was a covered walkway to the house to escape mud season (too much ledge to attach to the house). My big extravagance for this year was paving the driveway - what a difference THAT makes!

If you can believe it, we may hit 50 degrees for a day next week before it drops back down. I do love the snow!
Snafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:14 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

The last time I was in my hometown, Western part of da UP during winter (December for Christmas a number of years ago) my car battery froze solid and cracked. A couple of old high school friends helped me out and got me mobile again, but geez, ya know how cold it needs to be to freeze a concentrated solution of Sulfuric Acid, Dang cold, Dang cold!
MOSAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:09 AM   #80
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOSAT View Post
but geez, ya know how cold it needs to be to freeze a concentrated solution of Sulfuric Acid, Dang cold, Dang cold!
I have a friend who keeps posting about the wonderful, snowy conditions in the UP for when he goes snowmobiling. He drives 8 hours North several times a Winter to get this !

Being overweight, he sweats like a Ho in church during 90 degree weather.