Join Early Retirement Today

Re: did someone say 'draft'?
Old 11-20-2006, 10:58 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
WASP
You called out your displeasure at the number of Protestants in submarine duty in two different posts, obviously you harbor some feelings about this. I wonder what the issue was/is?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2006, 07:39 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD
I am not absolutely positive about this but didn't Rangel vote against a draft bill just a little while ago? I think it was something along the lines of him saying how only the poor are in the service now (not true) and how we should have a draft. The Republicans then said OK here's a bill to re-instate the draft, calling his "bluff.". Then Rangel (and almost everyone else) voted against it.

At least that's the way I remember it.

Mike D.
Ah, Grasshopper, you remember correctly.
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2004/roll494.xml

It got 402 "NAY" votes, including Rangel. Paragon of virtue John Murtha was one of the two "YEA" votes.

But, Charlie has brought the idea back again.

I remember several folks of liberal persuasion decrying on this board the Republicans wasting the time of the legislature and trying to distract the public with a bunch of public theater BS (flag burning, etc) in the months before the election. Are any of the same voices to be heard registering discontent over Charlie Rangel's shenanigans? (followed by silence except for faint sound of crickets chirping)
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:48 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Did you see the multiple posts I made indicating that Rangel was playing politics?

Since the new Dem leadership has indicated they will put the kibosh on this, it ain't going nowhere.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:59 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

"Are any of the same voices to be heard registering discontent over Charlie Rangel's shenanigans? (followed by silence except for faint sound of crickets chirping)"

Crickets chirping in late November ? Not around here south-central Texas, brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

It must be 40 degrees out on the porch this dawn.

I am having to feed the emu cracked corn 'cause the bugs are in short supply.
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:04 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Did you see the multiple posts I made indicating that Rangel was playing politics?

Since the new Dem leadership has indicated they will put the kibosh on this, it ain't going nowhere.
Okay, ONE of the same voices is being heard.

Ol Rancher,
I'd a thought them Texas cricket bugs was a might hardier than reg'lar cricket bugs. Maybeez I wuz wrong.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:13 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

"Ol Rancher,
I thought them Texas cricket bugs was a might hardier than reg'lar cricket bugs. Maybeez I wuz wrong."

Yer thinking of them big cockaroaches that fly from the trees and try to get in yer house. In Florida they are called 'Palmetto Bugs' - now there is a bit of P.R.

Them big red two inch long flying cockaroaches take three swats from a swatter and usually manage to crawl off and hide under the fridge anyhow. Nothing less than a 14 ounce hammer with a direct hit will actually stop one of 'em. Enev then they are still wigglin' so you need to let them lay there for an hour or so.

The scorpions are even tougher but they sink like rocks in water so just flush them down the toilet, but don't try that with the big red cockaroackes because in a drought they might just come back through the waste line into the bathroom.

This is why some ranchers keep emus. They hold down the snakes and reduce the 'field roach' population.

Yee Haw.
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:37 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

"Frankenstein gives me the shakes
And Count Dracula's driving me batty
But they're not on a par
with the worst one by far
The cockroach that ate Cincinnati..."

Author unknown

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:07 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

During my years 1969-72 the Navy caught a lot of flack for having the whitest officer corps of all the services. I wonder if it has changed 35 yrs. later.

2soon
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:17 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
"Frankenstein gives me the shakes
And Count Dracula's driving me batty
But they're not on a par
with the worst one by far
The cockroach that ate Cincinnati..."

Author unknown
By "Rose and the Arrangement"
Old 11-21-2006, 01:51 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
You called out your displeasure at the number of Protestants in submarine duty in two different posts, obviously you harbor some feelings about this. I wonder what the issue was/is?
I'm a lapsed Lutheran turned apathetic. Like Scott Adams says, you won't learn about my religious big business preferences by reading my posts.

The issue is the acronym. WASP seems to get the point across for at least three-quarters of my purpose.

I briefly considered WASP/WASC/WASM/WASJ/WASH/WASS/WASB but it just seemed too cumbersome... anyone have a better acronym?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2soon2tell
During my years 1969-72 the Navy caught a lot of flack for having the whitest officer corps of all the services. I wonder if it has changed 35 yrs. later.
Not as far as I can tell in the submarine force.

But FWIW one of the Navy's most newsworthy new admirals (coincidentally a classmate) isn't noteworthy for being African-American-- it's because RADM Howard is the first flag officer from USNA to be a woman, as well as the first African-American woman to command a ship. So hopefully in 25-50 years our grandkids will be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:37 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

So....ah..... let's see if I've got this. We need to reinstitute the draft to bring more wealthy whites, both men and women, into the services, particularly at the enlisted level. We need to institute some kind of affirmative action program to bring more minorities and women into the officer ranks. Is that it?

Not to worry about any possible religious affiliation. Nords only referred to Protestants as part of a sterotyping acronym.

I'll email Reps Rangel and Murtha with an executive summary of our recommendations.

Thanks everybody for clearing this up.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:29 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Eh, I don't feel like taking the bait today. Rangel is just playing politics and the proposal will go nowhere. If you guys want to join up, have at it.
that is the bottom line. It's just a go nowhere bill that has been around for 3 years now....
Old 11-24-2006, 07:39 AM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I'm a lapsed Lutheran turned apathetic. Like Scott Adams says, you won't learn about my religious big business preferences by reading my posts.

The issue is the acronym. WASP seems to get the point across for at least three-quarters of my purpose.

I briefly considered WASP/WASC/WASM/WASJ/WASH/WASS/WASB but it just seemed too cumbersome... anyone have a better acronym?
Not as far as I can tell in the submarine force.

But FWIW one of the Navy's most newsworthy new admirals (coincidentally a classmate) isn't noteworthy for being African-American-- it's because RADM Howard is the first flag officer from USNA to be a woman, as well as the first African-American woman to command a ship. So hopefully in 25-50 years our grandkids will be wondering what all the fuss was about.
WAS* seems to work.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:13 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
WAS* seems to work.
Oooh, good point. I'll use that. Thanks!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:50 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Come to that, is WAS* a useful distinction? Is there still significant discrimination between Anglo-Saxon whites and non-Anglo-Saxon whites in the military? (Could be, I don't know.)

bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 04:18 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I guess that brings us to W***?

As an American of Dutch descent, whose people had no connection with the Angles or the Saxons, I encountered no special discrimination based on anything more than I was a dumb as a brick.