Join Early Retirement Today

Did we get a good deal on our new F-150 truck? PICS
Old 03-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did we get a good deal on our new F-150 truck? PICS

Well, we just got a new 'delivery' truck. 2001 F-150 Supercab XLT Long Bed, V8, 4x4 Off Road package, tow package, ***34,000 miles****, power windows and doors, running boards, alloy wheels etc. I got a Carfax and it shows it being serviced at the Ford dealer since day 1...one owner...and it had 31,500 at its last oil change which was January 2007! It was an old man...as you can tell by the cap (sorry if I just offended anyone!). The bedliner is actually a "Bed Rug" and surely hasnt seen any dirt or rocks! It's got floormats IN the bed of the truck. It's immaculate!

$10,200

This truck will be used as an additional delivery truck for bounce houses when the box truck is too full. So it'll probably see some action 20-30 days a season. In the winter, it will be my daily driver as my Lexus LS400 does terribly in the snow. As a result, I am able to sell my 1994 Chevy 1500 AND 1996 Toyota Avalon. I expect to get about 2500-300 for both of those...and more importantly, I'm freeing up room in my driveway! We currently own 7 vehicles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (47.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (42.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (51.5 KB, 2 views)
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2010, 06:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Did we get a good deal on our new F-150 truck?
Does it matter now if we say yes you got a good deal, or if we say no you didn't ?

If it was worth it to you then that's all that matters.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #3

My dad use to say, 'If you get the XXX at the price you wanted to pay, then you got a good deal. It does not matter if someone else could get a better deal, so be happy.'
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #4

haha im happy alright...i think i got a steal! just feels good to be re-assured because our attempt at LBYM makes me have buyers remorse every time we buy something, regardless of whether or not its a business expense!
Old 03-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It looks and sounds very nice. Here's a place that might help you decide if you got a great deal: 2001 Ford F-150 Pricing and Information
Old 03-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

7 vehicles! ok, so you'll get rid of 2, then you'll have 5. You've got several businesses and 4 in the house. We've got 3 vehicles, no business and 2 in the house.

Hmmmm...guess you're doin' ok then!
Old 03-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
It looks and sounds very nice. Here's a place that might help you decide if you got a great deal: 2001 Ford F-150 Pricing and Information
that comes in right at 10,000, while kbb says 11,400 and nada says 12,200

So I'll take it as a deal!~
Old 03-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
7 vehicles! ok, so you'll get rid of 2, then you'll have 5. You've got several businesses and 4 in the house. We've got 3 vehicles, no business and 2 in the house.

Hmmmm...guess you're doin' ok then!
oh no, have 7...BEFORE this one....so 8 minus two is 6 left! maybe im doing great! lol
Old 03-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
gone traveling

thefed, looks like you got a heck of a truck at a great price- only 31,000 miles and it still looks (and probably drives) like new. I'd be peeing down both pant legs if I was you.
I have the same truck, short bed, red 4x4 in 97 vintage- but mine has a (middle-aged guy ) Harley-Davidson hard shell bed cover)
It just turned 100K miles, and has never stabbed me in the back.
ENJOY!
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
thefed, looks like you got a heck of a truck at a great price- only 31,000 miles and it still looks (and probably drives) like new. I'd be peeing down both pant legs if I was you.
I have the same truck, short bed, red 4x4 in 97 vintage- but mine has a (middle-aged guy ) Harley-Davidson hard shell bed cover)
It just turned 100K miles, and has never stabbed me in the back.
ENJOY!

good to hear! i remember a lot of those 97's (or 98's?) had extreme tranny issues...glad yours wasnt one of em!!!

i;m pumped to go mash through some snow...although its 60 here right now and its all about melted....i need one more big one before the season's out!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 06:40 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nice Truck. If it is anything like my 98 explorer it will run for a long time yet. The explorer has 170,000 Miles on it. Lots of 150's around here with 250,000 miles.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:52 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

My oil stocks should get a boost today.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:54 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Glad to oblige as well. 'been driving my suburban around w/7.4 liter engine. Still only fill it up once a month.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
It was an old man...as you can tell by the cap (sorry if I just offended anyone!).
Hey! The cap on my truck is just like that one. Only blue.

But yeah, it looks like a good deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck2_052.JPG (31.4 KB, 67 views)
Old 03-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #15

With the 4x4 OR package, I assume you have the 5.4L engine. Do you know what year they changed the 5.4L cylinder head design to solve the spark plug problem?

The original design of the 5.4L which came out later in 1997 had too few threads of engagement between the sparkplugs and the aluminum cylinder heads. So sometime before 100k miles, when the plugs were changed out, new plugs were screwed in, seemed ok. Not much later, the plug(s) would blow out of the head. This is a very common occurence.

The fix for existing engines is to put a special oversize insert in. Just about any place that does engine work will know about it.

After plugs started popping out left and right a couple years after the 5.4L came out, Ford changed the design of the aluminum cylinder head to have many more threads engaging. I don't know what model year had that change in.

The 4.6L V8 does not have this problem.

So, for people who have a 5.4L that is prone to this, the word is... have the dealer change your plugs! That way it is their problem!

It was a really stupid problem, very unlike Ford truck. Maybe some intern did that part of the design while the supervising Engr. went out for a long liquid lunch!
Old 03-12-2010, 06:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
With the 4x4 OR package, I assume you have the 5.4L engine. Do you know what year they changed the 5.4L cylinder head design to solve the spark plug problem?

The original design of the 5.4L which came out later in 1997 had too few threads of engagement between the sparkplugs and the aluminum cylinder heads. So sometime before 100k miles, when the plugs were changed out, new plugs were screwed in, seemed ok. Not much later, the plug(s) would blow out of the head. This is a very common occurence.

The fix for existing engines is to put a special oversize insert in. Just about any place that does engine work will know about it.

After plugs started popping out left and right a couple years after the 5.4L came out, Ford changed the design of the aluminum cylinder head to have many more threads engaging. I don't know what model year had that change in.

The 4.6L V8 does not have this problem.

So, for people who have a 5.4L that is prone to this, the word is... have the dealer change your plugs! That way it is their problem!

It was a really stupid problem, very unlike Ford truck. Maybe some intern did that part of the design while the supervising Engr. went out for a long liquid lunch!
looking into it, I see that people are complaining all the way up to 2004. that's terrible. glad to know what i have to look forward to!
Old 03-12-2010, 08:03 AM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Hey! The cap on my truck is just like that one. Only blue.

But yeah, it looks like a good deal.
Walt, your blue cap would definitely qualify as an "old man " if it was on thedfeds red truck...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote