Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-11-2017, 04:40 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

I hope a lot of people see this thread and avoid the salad bar soup. Then there should be some left when I get there.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2017, 04:49 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I had a little bit of an issue while traveling at a salad bar. At the time I thought it was bad. Hah!

Nothing like 3 days in the bathroom and 3 days in the gastrointestinal unit of the hospital.

That was from a nice restaurant in KC that was proud of the homade mayo. I didn't touch mayo for well over a year after that.
Yeah, that would make me a believer too
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I am not a germaphobe, but when we went on a 32 day cruise, the last thing I wanted was Norovirus. I brought along a spray can of Lysol#3, and when the steward opened our cabin door the first thing I did was spray the door handles. I then proceeded into the cabin where I sprayed the phones, TV remote, drawer handles, and just about everything in the bathroom.
Apparently that worked, because we did not come down with anything, fortunately.
Nice, I would do the same thing.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 07-11-2017, 04:52 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Some nuts lose the taste after a while. But I just finished my gluten free pasta box that was expired a few months ago. I didn't tell my husband. Haha. He seemed to enjoy it with the spaghetti bolognaise.
I don't like throwing food away.
Dry staples like pasta and rice last a long long time. Never mind a few months, I say even a few years will not degrade them. A decade or two even.

Wet food like ketchup or mayo is something else, even if refrigerated. I would be wary of them if opened for a few months.

PS. If insects like weevils get into your grains, forget it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
I have been to China about 20 times. Always have been with Chinese clients, so I eat from the communal platters with chopsticks. 10 to 20 people digging in. Chopsticks go from mouth to food to mouth, repeat. In all that time, I do not recall ever getting sick. I think I am more exposed to germs on the 14 hour plane flight.

IIRC, I have come down with "food poisoning" 3 times in the last 40 years. Singapore, Belgium and Israel. 3 countries that are about as western as you can get when not in the US.

So, I can take the risk at the soup and salad bar.
If That was me ,I would come down with every ailment those 20 chop sticks had on them
Old 07-11-2017, 04:56 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger. And most of the nasty infectious diseases are now vaccinated against or chlorinated to death. The growing use of fecal transplant to treat a variety of conditions suggests that you could do worse than eating poo!
I agree with the first sentence, Im unlucky, I dont want the "if it doesn't kill you part" to apply to me.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:57 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just to prove it can happen anywhere, I've had food poisoning three times in the last 25 years: Missouri, Colorado, and Iowa.
This is why you need to stick with me, I avoid these things when possible!
Old 07-11-2017, 04:58 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I hope a lot of people see this thread and avoid the salad bar soup. Then there should be some left when I get there.
Trust me, I wont stand in your way
Old 07-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Is this some NYC urban slang?
OK All this talk about me not getting my split pea with ham soup pushed me to brave the rain and run(not really just a fast walk) down the block to the store. I just bought the ingredients. Although they had a different brand of split peas, I googled the brand I grew up with and found the recipe its a 4 hour cook, not counting the cleaning of the ingredients. https://foodfolio.net/recipes/12036/...plit-pea-soup/. I do not have a ham bone. I got a thick ham steak Ill cube it.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:19 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

As Stephanie Plum (Janet Evanovich’s fictional detective) noted, if what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, Trenton New Jersey is raising a crop of supermen. I think the same must apply to NYC. Surely air that has been filtered through so many millions of lungs and water filtered through so many kidneys must be incredibly healthful.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:24 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just to prove it can happen anywhere, I've had food poisoning three times in the last 25 years: Missouri, Colorado, and Iowa.
Good point. It can happen anywhere, and usually not from something you suspect (OK, I would avoid mayonnaise sitting out in the sun). In Belgium two of us got sick, and we had entirely different meals. Clearly something wrong in the kitchen.

Bottom line: I take my chances and enjoy different food.

PS. Since I live in MO, where did you have the problem
Old 07-11-2017, 05:28 PM   #52

Quote:
PS. Since I live in MO, where did you have the problem
It was nearly 25 years ago, so I don't remember exactly, but a very good hotel in KC. The other two were also at hotel restaurants. I tend to avoid them these days and go to freestanding restaurants (and yes, I know I'm kidding myself).
Old 07-11-2017, 06:15 PM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have been to China about 20 times. Always have been with Chinese clients, so I eat from the communal platters with chopsticks. 10 to 20 people digging in. Chopsticks go from mouth to food to mouth, repeat. In all that time, I do not recall ever getting sick. I think I am more exposed to germs on the 14 hour plane flight.
I have also been to China many times and have had these dinners. I always try ("try" is the operative word) to find a spot in each dish where no one else's chopsticks have been and pick from there .

I have never gotten sick from that. But my picking around may explain why I have never gained weight on those trips .
Old 07-11-2017, 06:30 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post

I have never gotten sick from that. But my picking around may explain why I have never gained weight on those trips .
My problem was that I really did like the food. I would gain a few pounds on every trip.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:51 PM   #55

DD made me toss out the mayo last week just because the Best Buy date was 2011.
I was eating the grocery store soup while I was staying with DGF at hospice. It's quick and easy and usually more nutritious than other available options.
I also like to splurge calorie wise at the Chinese buffet never had a problem. Wendy's used to have a taco bar I enjoyed until I stopped one Saturday and saw the little league team attack the food. That was it for taco bar at Wendy's
Old 07-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

I was out of town on business in Missouri back in the 80's or so and the small town had limited eating options. I decided to go the local Pizza Hut as they had a pretty decent salad bar (back when they were the main draw in the middle of the dining room). As I sat waiting for the waitress I saw a mouse go up the table leg and eat lettuce from the large bowl. Then it went on to the cheese, etc. People would go up to get salad and it would scamper down the leg. They would leave and it would resume its dinner. When the waitress came I said I think I'll have pizza. I told her about the mouse and she reacted like it was a favored customer.
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
DD made me toss out the mayo last week just because the Best Buy date was 2011.
I was eating the grocery store soup while I was staying with DGF at hospice. It's quick and easy and usually more nutritious than other available options.
I also like to splurge calorie wise at the Chinese buffet never had a problem. Wendy's used to have a taco bar I enjoyed until I stopped one Saturday and saw the little league team attack the food. That was it for taco bar at Wendy's
Sorry about your DGF, I would eat that soup too. But ty for the Wendy's post hahahaha
Old 07-11-2017, 06:58 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
I was out of town on business in Missouri back in the 80's or so and the small town had limited eating options. I decided to go the local Pizza Hut as they had a pretty decent salad bar (back when they were the main draw in the middle of the dining room). As I sat waiting for the waitress I saw a mouse go up the table leg and eat lettuce from the large bowl. Then it went on to the cheese, etc. People would go up to get salad and it would scamper down the leg. They would leave and it would resume its dinner. When the waitress came I said I think I'll have pizza. I told her about the mouse and she reacted like it was a favored customer.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:25 AM   #59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Your post reminds of Sting, another favorite DVD in my household. His father was a coal miner too. His DVD is one reason I visited Durham Cathedral. I don't know if he's from Durham or not, but most likely the surrounding area.

My husband's best friend is from the Blackpool area, he told me it's a poor area. His mom lived until 94 or close to it. I bet he picks up some of these habits from his parents.
Gordon and I grew up together. I taught him how to sing.

When in Durham Cathedral did you see the Washington family crest carved in stone above one of the doors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
OK All this talk about me not getting my split pea with ham soup pushed me to brave the rain and run(not really just a fast walk) down the block to the store. I just bought the ingredients. Although they had a different brand of split peas, I googled the brand I grew up with and found the recipe its a 4 hour cook, not counting the cleaning of the ingredients. https://foodfolio.net/recipes/12036/...plit-pea-soup/. I do not have a ham bone. I got a thick ham steak Ill cube it.
I know all about split pea soup, I grew up eating lots of it. What I was referring to in your post was when the "willy" was added, and what is "willy" in NYC? Where Sting and I come from a "willy" is very unhygienic.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:12 AM   #60
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Im a little confused, you started a thread about poop on lemons in 2008, and my from thread about poop soup should be ignored? What am I missing here?
I'm relatively new here.

Is poop talk a "thing" among the early retirement crowd? If so, why?
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote