Did you know bears sometime remove septic covers ...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The family vacation home sits in the woods in Pennsylvania; As everyone kids get older it get less and less use. We’ve enjoyed it for nearly 30 years but there comes a time when the oldsters want to sell.

No one had been up there in early December when my daughter went up with some friends. At some point they discovered the cement septic cover over the pump tank had been removed. [I am no septic expert and I wasn’t with my wife when Ashe and her sisters built it.]
Kids? My first thought... Geeze I hope they didn’t throw anything down there?

Well my BIL said maybe they stole the pump or emptied a tank into there... anyway the pump circuit breaker is now tripping when we turn it on. The septic people are coming on Friday.. the dispatcher asked if it was a bear? I said what? “Bears sometimes pull the covers off”.

Now I’ve heard it all...

We have a family vacation home in the woods of PA too, but the bears have only gotten into the trash cans.

We see bears around here every few months. One went into our garage, found our dog food container with about 40 pounds of food in it (we were told it was bearproof).

Well this guy carted the container into our back yard, undid the lid and had himself a feast!

Attachments

• E2591EE3-7A8D-4B1C-8328-F24DA28D0FD9.jpeg
    E2591EE3-7A8D-4B1C-8328-F24DA28D0FD9.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 33
We see bears around here every few months. One went into our garage, found our dog food container with about 40 pounds of food in it (we were told it was bearproof).

Well this guy carted the container into our back yard, undid the lid and had himself a feast!
We have a bear-proof garbage can. Unfortunately this spring I only locked one side. A young cinnamon bear had a great time. I wish I'd left it wide open for it. Would have been less work to clean up.

Just what I assumed it was gonna be...

a thread full of cr*p jokes...

:cool:

We have a cabin on an island, it's a large island so others are on it as well.

We use outhouses, one person told me they throw hamburger down the hole at the end of the Fall when they are leaving for good. The idea is a bear will smell the rotting meat and eat a bunch of the "stuff" from the hole.
Making the need to move the outhouse less frequent.

We were too poor to waste a pound of hamburger each year hoping to attract a bear, besides digging builds moral character.. :confused:

Anyhow now you know one reason bears have bad breath :eek:

I don't know why the circuit breaker would trip unless the pump impeller was jammed. Maybe with ice? :confused:

Heres the jist of bears and how to deal with them...

black fight back
brown lay down
white goodnight

advice wont do you much good in pa but if you travel around it may come in handy.

Never gave it any thought that some septic systems might need a pump, all the ones installed where I live are designed as gravity fed. The top of my septic tank is good 5' under ground so not too worried about bears getting to it.

Back
Top Bottom