Join Early Retirement Today

Difference between a Boomer and Millenial
Old 02-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Difference between a Boomer and Millenial

When I call my son, and there is no answer, I will leave a message. He NEVER listens to it. Just calls back (or texts). And I know it is not just me, that is what he does for everyone.

When I get a call, and there is a message, I listen first, then call back, IF required (sometimes it is just info, no need to call). If there is no message, I will rarely call back, even if I know the person. If it wasn't worth the time on their part to spend 15 seconds telling me why they called, then it wasn't important.

In hindsight, maybe this should be in the Pet Peeve thread.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #2

I'm good with texting. Just get used to it. It's the new world
Old 02-10-2019, 03:06 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Hmmm... some of the Silent generation, of which jeanie and I are members, don't even think about texting, as we're the last holdouts and don't use a smartphone.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:07 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

As a boomer I think it is strange, impersonal, and lazy. I only get a call when they want something. I know it is the "new world" but not cool!
Beststash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe he’s trying to get back to you as quickly as possible. That could be a good thing.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
Nah, I live in my world. If they want to contact me they're going to have to make the effort. I don't have a smartphone, have no interest in getting one, so I don't do texting. Besides, I'm sure voicemail will come back since that's easier than texting anyway.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
We text all the time, I am fine with that. And often will text before a call, to see if he is available. But please listen to the voicemail. There could be something you need to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Maybe he’s trying to get back to you as quickly as possible. That could be a good thing.
He is usually good with that. Just commenting about the generational difference. I suspect, in the not to distant future, voice mail will be obsolete.

Of course, my MIL and departed parents would think voicemail was impersonal. So it goes.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
We text all the time, I am fine with that. And often will text before a call, to see if he is available. But please listen to the voicemail. There could be something you need to hear.
So, you know he does this because he’s done it enough times that you’ve noticed a pattern. And yet, you waste time leaving a message that you know he won’t listen to?

Tell us more about his irrational and annoying behavior.
orangehairfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehairfella View Post
So, you know he does this because he’s done it enough times that you’ve noticed a pattern. And yet, you waste time leaving a message that you know he won’t listen to?

Tell us more about his irrational and annoying behavior.
Actually, most of the time the message starts with : "I know you will never listen to this, but...."

Yes, I have learned the behavior, but that doesn't mean I like it, or can't complain about it.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Does he have an answering machine, or an answering service that he must call to collect his messages? That's what I have thru Verizon.

When there's a message, I have to call to poll the messages. Or, I can just look at the Caller ID log to see who called when I was out, and I call them back. I don't use the service because it requires a phone call to retrieve and listen to the messages.

The "answering machines" of yore you just had to hit "play" to hear the recording.
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:42 PM   #11

My boomer Mom, until recently, would call and leave a message, usually something like "I don't know why I'm bothering because I'm sure you won't listen to this but....blah blah".

She's probably nowadays more adept at texting than I am (GenX). Nowadays, if Mom or Dad call unexpectedly without a text, I'm like...oh no what happened...

Millenials as a group seem to avoid phone calls completely. They don't like to talk on the phone or get phone calls.

Me, I prefer a quick email, but that will probably die before voicemail.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Nah, I live in my world. If they want to contact me they're going to have to make the effort. I don't have a smartphone, have no interest in getting one, so I don't do texting. Besides, I'm sure voicemail will come back since that's easier than texting anyway.

Heck, they already have it...

I have seen people talking in their phone and then sending it as a voice text!

Still do not know why talking to the other person is not easier and faster...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

At least it doesn’t sound like a situation with the most-feared voicemail of all:

“It’s your mother. Call me back.”

(click)

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:49 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Both of my children recruit and hire employees. They both claim that millennials do not have a work ethic, they want a trophy for just showing up. Today an older applicant with the needed skills and a decent work record is preferred.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #15

I'm surprised by the responses. I find texting easier and more efficient. Texting is easy to read accurately, voicemails can be garbled and can't be heard in noisy situations.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
Does he have an answering machine, or an answering service that he must call to collect his messages? That's what I have thru Verizon.

When there's a message, I have to call to poll the messages. Or, I can just look at the Caller ID log to see who called when I was out, and I call them back. I don't use the service because it requires a phone call to retrieve and listen to the messages.

The "answering machines" of yore you just had to hit "play" to hear the recording.
Not sure where to start here. DS hasn't seen an answering machine since he was about 12. Not sure if he would remember what the blinking light meant. No landline, just cell, with voicemail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
My boomer Mom, until recently, would call and leave a message, usually something like "I don't know why I'm bothering because I'm sure you won't listen to this but....blah blah".

She's probably nowadays more adept at texting than I am (GenX). Nowadays, if Mom or Dad call unexpectedly without a text, I'm like...oh no what happened...

Millenials as a group seem to avoid phone calls completely. They don't like to talk on the phone or get phone calls.

Me, I prefer a quick email, but that will probably die before voicemail.
DS (and his friends that we know) has already abandoned email. If we send an email, we need to text to tell him to check.

Anyway, it is not all bad. DW keeps in touch with his SO via Facebook.

FWIW, this is not about my son in particular, but the way communication is changing. Not saying it is bad, but please make some accomodation for us old f*rts.

And back to Aerides point about texting, I am finding that we and our boomer friends are getting pretty good at that (which probably means it is about to die, like voicemail)
Old 02-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I do it all with a Samsung S7 Edge...voice mail, texting, email, but I won't do facebook.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
At least it doesn’t sound like a situation with the most-feared voicemail of all:

“It’s your mother. Call me back.”

(click)
You just quoted every voicemail ever received from MIL

We have tried to tell her to let us know the importance, and she is getting better.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tightwad View Post
I'm surprised by the responses. I find texting easier and more efficient. Texting is easy to read accurately, voicemails can be garbled and can't be heard in noisy situations.
I'm with Mr. Tightwad on that one (though I prefer email to texting, but same reasons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I have seen people talking in their phone and then sending it as a voice text!

Still do not know why talking to the other person is not easier and faster...
There are several reasons that make the phone more difficult. Both you and the other party need to be available at the same time. A text/email can be answered later, maybe just a minute or two later, and you don't have to jump and stop what you are doing.

Tex/email less likely to be misunderstood. Text/email can be done silently. Text/email provides a record.

When you get into a lot of back/forth, a phone call can cut through that better sometimes. Pick the right tool for the job.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I also use Mighty Text (software) and send and receive texts from my Chromebook. For 75, I'm pretty high tech (except for Facebook, which I despise).