Digital camera recommendations

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Our old camera finally died so we're looking for a good replacement. Something mid range that is easy to use and takes good pictures. Ability to do videos a plus. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Are you looking for point-and-shoot or SLR? Price range? Do you mind larger cameras or do you want a compact one?

Are you looking for point-and-shoot or SLR? Price range? Do you mind larger cameras or do you want a compact one?

OK, I'll admit it. I don't know! Kinda clueless which is why I was asking for some advice. Our old camera was a point-and-shoot, but would like something more modern. Price range - under $300. Not too big but doesn't need to be super compact.

OK, I'll admit it. I don't know! Kinda clueless which is why I was asking for some advice. Our old camera was a point-and-shoot, but would like something more modern. Price range - under $300. Not too big but doesn't need to be super compact.

I have this camera and like it a lot:

Amazon.com: Canon G12 10 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.8 Inch Vari-Angle LCD: Camera & Photo

Upsides: this camera is kind of an hybrid between a point-and-shoot and a SLR both in terms of size and in terms of what it can do. You can use it in full auto as a point-and-shoot or you can use it in manual mode and get creative. Downsides: bulkier than most point-and-shoot cameras, and above your price range.

For everyday picture taking, I carry this super compact camera at all times with me:

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with Full 1080p HD Video (Silver): Camera & Photo

In terms of picture quality, the G-12 is clearly superior but the pictures obtained with the compact camera are still very good.

Last edited:
What? There are cameras that don't make phone calls? :LOL:

It really depends on what features you are looking for, from point and shoot all the way to SLR. I have two cameras (none that make phone calls by the way).

The ones I have are a few years old (made by a once upon a time camera company called Kodak ;)).

I have the Cannon G9 which I bought four or five years ago for $500 and it is still going strong taking great pictures and movies too. When I have to buy a new P&S it will be a Cannon G series model. I was an old 35mm SLR guy but no need for a digital SLR in this day and age to capture great photos.

Some pics from my grandson's ball practice yesterday.

img_1227634_0_61ff1dd545f542af0322f0350f11b625.jpg

img_1227634_1_7bb8819d96b8c619cb7563ed4822acab.jpg

img_1227634_2_658196f88537128ad30058b250062b15.jpg

Last edited:
I have the Cannon G9 which I bought four or five years ago for $500 and it is still going strong taking great pictures and movies too. When I have to buy a new P&S it will be a Cannon G series model. I was an old 35mm SLR guy but no need for a digital SLR in this day and age to capture great photos.

Some pics from my grandson's ball practice yesterday.

He is adorable! Good pictures too. Thanks.

Ever since I got my iPhone, my (cheap, point-and-shoot) Canon camera has been pretty much a door-stop. It takes nice photos but it isn't as convenient. I always have my iPhone with me.

Ever since I got my iPhone, my (cheap, point-and-shoot) Canon camera has been pretty much a door-stop. It takes nice photos but it isn't as convenient. I always have my iPhone with me.

Guess I should get one of those iPhone thingies. You would all laugh if you saw my cell phone. Got it over 10 years ago and it does nothing except phone calls. I am a geezer - who needs a camera. ;) Get off my lawn - YouTube

Last edited:

+1, except that in my case the Blackberry has completely replaced my 1997 Minolta. I may just have to give that away....

What? There are cameras that don't make phone calls?

No kidding!
DW and I both have the iPhone 4S and its 8 megapixel camera is just fantastic.

For more sophisticated work, I have a Nikon D90, but that's way out of your price range so don't even look it up.

For 98% of the photos we take, the iPhone is more than adequate, and in some ways better than the average point&shoot.

This was taken with my Canon G10 in shutter priority mode (15 second exposure):

7917670546_00e4eec02d_c.jpg

I agree with FIREd that the Canon PowerShot is a very nice compact camera.

And, I also agree that the iPhones take some pretty impressive photos. This is a recent iPhone pic.

Attachments

• IMAG0212.jpg
    IMAG0212.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 15
Nikon D3200. Far and away the best entry level DSLR on the market today.

Or, if you want to save a few dollars the Nikon D3100 which is also a very good camera and great deal now that the D3200 has replace it.

I am partial to Nikon DSLRs, but Canon always seems to be a step ahead in the compact camera segment, so I'd second those recommendations above.

Digital cameras seem to improve substantially in terms of the quality/value proposition like most consumer electronics these days. The latest and greatest camera in any segment will probably seem seriously inferior in a few years, so buying used might save you considerably - it's a tough choice. I bought a nice DSLR (Nikon D90) just a few years ago and I am happy with it, but newer Nikon models are considerably better values.

Interesting idea using a phone instead of a compact camera. Most phones, even the latest models, do not take pictures anywhere near the quality of a compact camera (lots of pixels aren't much good with a tiny cheapo lens). However, some are coming very close, including the iPhone 4S (earlier iPhones weren't nearly as good for pictures)...so it could be an option if you do your homework.

Last edited:
Nikon D3200. Far and away the best entry level DSLR on the market today.

Agreed. I have the D7000 and think it's worth every nickel but that's more than you wanted to spend.

With the D3200 and a copy of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, your family will be amazed. There is a learning curve to the software, I highly recommend Amazon.com: The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter) (9780321819581): Scott Kelby: Books

The difference between a point 'n shoot and a DSLR is dramatic when you look a the same image taken with both side by side.

In Canada, on Kijiji, (similar to craiglist), we bought a top shape used Olympus E-10 with accessories for $500.

Then, for a smaller unit that we're less worried about 'losing', we found, (again on Kijiji), a Kodak Easy Share Z712 IS for $70.

Good deals, at any levels, can be found.........determine what you want, then see who has one that they want to sell.

Last edited:
Please find attached two pictures taken with my Kodak CX7430 of the Santa Elena Canyon in Big Bend National Park, Texas. The top picture was taken in 2005. The picture on the bottom was taken in 2011. The Rio Grande River flows through the canyon. Mexico is on the left side of the canyon in each picture. For landscape pictures, you have to be there when the light is right, no matter what kind of camera you have.

When the CX7430 has to be replaced, I will be looking for a camera that allows me to see the LCD viewer in blinding bright sunlight with sunglasses on. The CX7430 makes 4MP pictures. I use the viewer, not the LCD screen for framing my pictures. Also will look for the maximum range between wide angle and optical zoom. Also, since my PC is old, it struggles with the mega-mega pixels on the newer cameras.

DW uses a Nikon D90. Makes wonderful pictures. Personally, I prefer a smaller camera. We also use a Canon camcorder as well as our cellphone cameras.

ShutterFly has taken over the now defunct Kodak gallery and transferred all of our thousands of pictures online to their site. So far, I have not really used ShutterFly.

Attachments

• BIG BEND CX7430 2005-12-14_153.jpg
    BIG BEND CX7430 2005-12-14_153.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 102_3402.jpg
    102_3402.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Features that I appreciate in a point and shoot digital camera.

• Ability to use AA batteries so in a pinch you can just buy new batteries
  • A view finder in addition to just the LCD screen, for bright outdoor viewing
  • A zoom of at least three power (3X) optical
  • Anti-shake stabilization
I've had great luck with Canons, but if your needs are modest, you will be happy with most competing brands, as it is a very competitive market.

Don't get bowled over with analysis paralysis. The aficionados will always nit pick any camera (or bike or car or investment).

I second FIREd's comments on the Canon G12 and as he might comment, when you pick it up in a store, "It is obvious it's quality" . Although I will say it's a bit chunky so not a shirt pocket camera. But it processes in RAW, another story for later.

I get the sense you might want something to put in a pocket or purse and if that is a good assumption, the Sony RX100 is a bit pricey but it's the best out there for under a $1000.

I was going to tout the camera's fast shutter speed, the huge MPs and the 1080P video, but stopped because I'm not trying to sell it.

DH consulted with BIL and we ended up with a Sony Cybershot. Paid about $200 for it. The camera zooms up to 10x and does a bunch of other stuff I've haven't even begun to figure out yet.

Here'a a picture I took using the new camera of a 1938 Philco radio my uncle restored to perfect working order. Old and new technology!

Thanks for your comments everyone!

Attachments

• 1938 Philco.jpg
    1938 Philco.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 4
Any of the Nikon Coolpix line are a good choice. Also, Canon EOS SLR if you want to up the ante.......

For me, it is a requirement that my camera that have a 'viewfinder' -- not just the 'display' that is useless in any amount of sunshine. They are hard to find these days at the pricepoint you're looking for.

However, I did find exactly what I wanted -- i.e. a point and shoot with both viewfinder and display. Google Fuji Finepix and you will see some choices. The Fuji Finepix is a step up above the smaller purse-size cameras yet not too big and bulky like you get into with the SLR's.

If you want, you can also get an adapter for it that allows you to screw on filters -- such as a UV, etc.

I have the Fuju Finepix S1800 for a couple of years now and it has served me well.

I also like it because it uses double AA batteries.

DH consulted with BIL and we ended up with a Sony Cybershot. Paid about $200 for it. The camera zooms up to 10x and does a bunch of other stuff I've haven't even begun to figure out yet.

I recently purchased a "Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX7V". I already had an old Cyber-Shot so I was already familiar with the basic camera controls. It worked great on a recent trip to the Pacific Northwest.

I got a 32GB memory card and the camera tells me that I can store over 6000 high res photos. More than enough. I bought some extra batteries since I'll run out of batteries before I run out of image storage space. When I do any kind of scenic photography I put it on a very lightweight tripod.

Here is a video with stills and movies that took using this camera recently.

Marty Road Trip 2012 - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom