Digital Driver's License

I think a lot of states are already taking enhanced photographs for facial recognition, so I think the days of having a physical license is limited. Soon, you will get pulled over and the officer will just scan your face and boom...there is your license information, driver's history, and warrants. Of course, it will get hemmed up in the courts for a number of years...but it will happen.

Yes. I keep cash in my front pocket and if I could do away with all my cards, I wouldn’t have to carry my wallet. It’s a ways off though. For one, I like to keep my passport card with me. Living in the Detroit area, there’s no telling when you might want to drive over to Canada.

Interesting concept. You hand the officer your phone and before you know it, he’s asking you why you were texting just a few minutes ago. Every plus has a minus.

I thought I read an article where somewhere (Europe?) people were lining up to get chipped (like the dogs get). The chip will provide fast checkouts, ID info etc.

The police already uses license plate scanning cameras that do the background checking on the car (expired registration, theft, warrants etc) behind the scenes and alert the officer while they're simply driving around.

What is the purpose of a drivers license anyway?

- To prove you're authorized to drive? No, the cops are going to do that in real time when they stop you anyway.

- For personal identification? There are so many other possibilities (see above) that this one isn't really all that necessary.

I'd say, at some point, you won't need ANY driver's license, plastic or electronic.

no, but you may want to ask this question on a site where the general user population is a good bit younger than they are here.

Last edited:
I definitely would. My wallet currently has my drivers license, insurance card, 2 credit cards, and a debit card. I try to have the skinniest wallet possible and it would be great to eliminate it altogether.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom