Direct Marketing Incompetence – A Vexing Problem

FlaGator

Full time employment: Posting here.
Brief background – I spent the fat years of my working life in the “information business”, specifically public records/real estate data. Did a lot of different things - sales, operations management, and worked closely with a variety of customers. I know what goes on in the kitchen when it comes to usage of that type of data.

My 1st wife died early in 20214, and I relocated the following year to a different part of FL. After a while, I started getting solicitations addressed to her in the new location – one she never lived in. Those companies clearly used the household USPS Change of Address for that to happen. I shut those down by calling the offending companies and had several years without seeing any direct mail addressed to her.

But now, it’s a few months away from what would be her 65th birthday, and the Medicare-related mail solicitations are showing up several times/week. I’ve contacted insurers directly, as well as AARP (one of the likely sources) and asked she be removed. Local insurance brokers are stupid – talked with one who told me “it comes from public records”, ignoring that death certificates are “public records” and the Feds provide access to a file (Limited Access Master Death File) which, if properly used, would permit this to never happen.

It is clear there are incredibly incompetent direct marketing firms peddling these lists. After none of the firms soliciting the long-dead woman for Medicare would (understandably) not divulge their vendor, I decided to move upstream of the sh!thead “list brokers” and “mail houses” and contacted the major providers I know of - Acxiom, Lexis-Nexis and Experian and requested she be purged from the files. With the death certificate uploaded, approvals to do so came within hours.

Have to wait a month or so to know if this was successful. If not, the rampage of firm, but polite phone calls will begin again and I’ll start filing complaints with the FL Office of Financial Regulation. I’m glad I understand how this could happen, I’d be even more p!$$ed than I am if I didn’t have any idea what to do about it.

Has anyone else dealt with this, and how did you stop it? Any other “upstream” companies I should contact?

My ex-wife turns 65 is a couple of months. Even though we have been divorced for several years and she moved to another state back then, I have been deluged with mail for her lately, mostly I'm sure trying to sell her medicare advantage plans. I just pitch it in the trash. I'm under no obligation to forward it to her and I know she would not want it anyway. Let the idiots waste their postage.

The credit purge sounds like a good idea. On calling all of these people, I can't see it. It seems in their interest to ignore the issue. Chasing down deaths to not waste a bulk mail charge sounds like more effort that its worth. They just want to spew their crapola to as many potential targets as possible. It sounds more cost effective to go a bit wide.

I’ve actively tried to get us off mailing lists for over 20 years, and while it seems successful short term, “they” always find us again. Literally 90% of our snail mail is junk we never open/look at, often from sources we had stopped at one time. I assume selling lists of names with contact and personal info is a far larger industry nowadays…than when the OP was active?

About 90% of our phone calls are spam. We don’t answer any call that’s not in our contact lists, unless maybe we’re expecting a call from someone else, but we keep our contacts very current. If it’s an important call, they’ll leave a message, so we’ve never missed a call we regretted. Only silver lining is we didn’t change area codes, so almost all our spam is from the old area code, and easy to ignore.

Some smaller percentage of our texts are spam, mostly political surveys, fundraising and other garbage. Again, current contacts and the old area code help.

Last edited:
I experience it but have not tried to stop it. It is very irritating. My worst example is from a car dealership. We lived in Location A when father in law died. He never lived with us but lived near by. 8 years after death, with us now moved to Location B, we get junk mail addressed to FIL from a car dealer wanting to buy the car that he was leasing at the time of his death. Not sure how they tied his name to our new address and how beyond incompetent to try to discuss a now 8+ year old car that was originally leased. What a waste of everyone’s time. Not to mention how aggravating it is to be followed around like that.

I just added each of my parents to the DMA Deceased Do Not Contact list when they passed, as I had their mail forwarded to me to handle their estates. They didn't charge back then, but $1 does not seem unreasonable, IMO. It worked OK, except for the DNC and all the scam charities he sent a few bucks to, as IIRC charitable and political orgs are exempt from direct marketing laws. I had to publicly name and shame a few of them on social media, I've found that that often gets results when nothing else works.

Yeah, it's creepy.

DH died in 2016 and I continued to get mailings to him for guaranteed-issue life insurance from AAA ("You cannot be turned down!") and invitations to check out the local retirement village including a "Gentleman's Beer Tasting". I tried e-mailing the retirement village. The mailings kept coming. Finally I sent a mailing back to them and told them he was dead- same with AAA. The mailings stopped.

What was even weirder: I just got a mailing addressed to be with my Ex's last name. It was from another local retirement village. I have never used that last name although a clueless bank employee put it on a mortgage that he and I refinanced over 20 years ago (despite every piece of documentation I provided having my birth name as my surname) and it got "stuck" in the credit records. I'd subsequently remarried and still kept my birth name. And the Ex died almost 15 years ago.

Fortunately I have a warped sense of humor and post the silliest ones on FB after blacking out any personal information.

If there isn't some risk I'm missing, I'm not sure I'd bother doing anything. The world is mis-aligned, and I'm fine with that. Toss it in the trash and move on. Now, my health insurance weaseling out of paying for something... I'm a dog with a bone!

From the mailbox on the street to back in the house I walk buy the garbage cans. A few seconds to purge the incoming mail is all it takes.

That said, I got so tired of advertising pieces from Viking Cruises that I contacted them (don't remember how) and told them to shut off the torrent. Polite response and torrent was immediately stopped.

But generally the garbage can method is the most cost-effective.

I just added each of my parents to the DMA Deceased Do Not Contact list when they passed, as I had their mail forwarded to me to handle their estates. They didn't charge back then, but $1 does not seem unreasonable, IMO. It worked OK, except for the DNC and all the scam charities he sent a few bucks to, as IIRC charitable and political orgs are exempt from direct marketing laws. I had to publicly name and shame a few of them on social media, I've found that that often gets results when nothing else works.

Thanks! Will be worth a buck and few minutes. I don't need a periodic reminder she's gone.

Our house is two years old. We constantly get direct mail for new windows, new roof, siding etc. Idiots wasting their money!

My oldest daughter died in 1999 at 22 years old while in college. I still get mail for her and we have moved twice since then. You just can't stop all this stuff.

If there isn't some risk I'm missing, I'm not sure I'd bother doing anything. The world is mis-aligned, and I'm fine with that. Toss it in the trash and move on. Now, my health insurance weaseling out of paying for something... I'm a dog with a bone!

My thinking as well.

Let them waste their efforts, paper and postage. Pitch and forget. It's not your problem other than taking extra waste to the curb every week.

Wife died some years ago, still get mail in her name. Stuff is good for fire starters. In the Cyber domain I killed her fakebook account as well as her emil address via comcrap. No cyber hassels .

Me, too!

My Dad died in 2016. He was in a hospice facility the last few months so I had his address changed to our address since I was handling everything. Every once in a while I get mail for him. Today's was from Fraternal Order of Police. Direct to the recycle bin.

The marketing folks sure know how to find you. And of course it's not in the interests of those who peddle the lists to make them shorter by deleting anyone.

I have to walk out to the mailbox anyway. Doesn't really bother me whether I throw one thing or ten into the recycling bin when I get back. Letting stuff like this bother me is exactly the kind of stress I try to avoid.

I look at it this way: I'm keeping abreast of the latest scam trends. Hearing aids seem to be big right now. Windows are a perennial favorite. Real Estate agents come and go. Retirement planner (actually, annuity insurance salesmen) scams seem to be a bit slow at the moment. Around here, "free" solar programs are hot these days.

I do find it a bit sad that people fall for these. Whenever I get the chance, I try to remind people that the fancier the glossy mailer, the more of their victims' hard-earned money is going into marketing, rather than products and services.

anyone have luck I'm getting a lot of spam calls. How can I get rid of them? I've tried blocking the numbers, but they just call from a different number.

We have a simple solution.

We do not answer calls from callers that we do not know. If it is important they will leave a message.

Ditto for emails from unknown sources. They do not get opened.

We never bother even opening junk mail. It does not make it into the house. It travels from our mail box to our recycle bin. Short trip. Most of our personal business has been moved on line. We only need to emply our mail box every week or two weeks in order to discard the junk mail.

Moving really cut down on our junk mail several years ago.

Last edited:
Yep, only first-class postage pays for forwarding, the cheaper bulk rates don't get forwarded. It cut down on the junk forwarded from my parents, too.

In my experience it hasn't helped much. When you supply the USPS with a forwarding address, they sell THAT list to companies wanting to market products and services to people who moved recently. They also update a database that I believe direct marketers have to use (or get discounted rates to use) to update their mailing lists. Eventually they find you again.

ETA: One interesting development: when we moved from a Zip code with average AGI of $81,000 to our current location with average AGI of $47,000, the mailings from hearing aid companies pretty much dropped off. DH, who was 15 years older, had been getting mailings for "Free hearing tests" on a regular basis. I'm now well over that age but I don't think I've gotten a single mailing from those companies. I guess they figure there's no money here. :) By the way, we got his at Costco, thanks to advice from this board, and if I need them that's where I'll get mine, too.

Last edited:
We have never provided the Post Office with a change of address. No reason to.

We informed those who we dealt with about the change.

The last thing that we want re-routed to a new home is junk mail.

Residents of our two former homes are probably still getting some of our junk mail from 6 and 10 years ago. They are welcome to it. Just as we did not more that 15 years at a previous home.

Last edited:
Junk mail goes to "resident" at all addresses also.

We are the same. It makes it so much easier to spot the junk and toss it.

Cannot imagine why anyone would bother with mail addressed to 'resident'.

A fair amount is now arriving in somewhat plain envelopes addressed to us. If we do not recognize the sender as someone we do business with it gets tossed.

For a while we were getting plan business style envelopes adressed to us from a faith based organization looking for recruits. No indication of the sender. We got wise to that it they go into the bin with the rest of the junk mail. It certainly beats having our doorbell rung on a Saturday morning!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom