Direcway vs Starband

Rustic23

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ok, we are getting ready to retire to a place that only has dial up. I thought there may be others that have faced this decision in the FIRE comunity. I have seen comparisons on the web, and just recently read about Direcway Fair Use Policy. Not sure which is better. Any comments appreciated.

I have a system through my local phone cooperative for 40 bucks/month. I have antenna on my house that is pointed at a local tower 10 miles away or so. I am at a high elevation so it works but the signal doesnt go through pine trees, etc. I guess it works on a specific FM signal. I passed on satellite internet because of costs (was previously my only option for broadband) and cant use for VOIP. I think other broadband options are coming and would wait.

maddythebeagle said:
I have a system through my local phone cooperative for 40 bucks/month. I have antenna on my house that is pointed at a local tower 10 miles away or so. I am at a high elevation so it works but the signal doesnt go through pine trees, etc. I guess it works on a specific FM signal. I passed on satellite internet because of costs (was previously my only option for broadband) and cant use for VOIP. I think other broadband options are coming and would wait.

Maddy,

I just found a private provider offering a similar service. What did the installation and hardware cost to set up your system? How fast is your connection? Any weather or service interruption problems? Are you happy with the service?

Maddy,

I just found a private provider offering a similar service.  What did the installation and hardware cost to set up your system?  How fast is your connection?  Any weather or service interruption problems?  Are you happy with the service?

Installation and equipment was free with a 2-year sign-up. I think it is like satellite and has the “fair use” thing where if you download too much your connection turns into dial-up speeds. Not affected by weather that I can tell. (I guess satellite is when it rains). Have had for 6 months and service was down maybe 4 times for an hour or 2 (probably reliable enough if I want to switch to VOIP)

It is rated at as a 512k/256k connection, but the online speed tests have it at 300k download speeds on average.

Thanks Maddy.

Looks like the provider I'm looking at requires you to buy the equipment up front, or at least in "three easy monthly installments". :p But since they appear to be the only high speed option other than satellite, I made an appointment for them to come out and do a site assessment to be sure I can get a clear signal from my location. I would hope so, since I can see the building one of their antennas sits on 14 miles away out my back window (using binoculars). Won't know what type of antenna set up I need until that's done and then they will give me an installation and equipment quote.

The monthly fee is $40 "and up" :p. That's for 128k and the price goes up $10/mo for each additional computer and $15/mo for each additional 128k speed. Not a real bargain, but if I can talk DW into letting me do away with our land line, that savings plus eliminating the $10/mo for dial up will go a long way towards offsetting the monthly fee. Heck, her 85 year-old dad did away with his land line and just has a cell phone. If it's good enough for him.... :)

If it comes right down to it, I may have to get her a computer of her own to bribe convince her to go completely wireless.

I'm so ready to ditch this slow a$$ dial up... :p

Back
Top Bottom