Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-24-2016, 03:31 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Happy Direct subscriber since 2000. Directv is the Cadillac...Dish is a Chevy at best IMHO.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2016, 03:54 PM   #22

Too bad cable is not an option for you. I have to say we were happiest with Comcast. Have Direct currently and it's fine but I preferred Comcast. Had Dish many years ago and didn't care for it. Having said all this I do not think the differences are that great.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:33 PM   #23

I switched from DirecTV to Dish last year. Got a 2 year rate lock from Dish for their America Top 200 package. I pay $66/month and that is the total price, includes one Hopper DVR.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:35 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I switched from DirecTV to Dish last year. Got a 2 year rate lock from Dish for their America Top 200 package. I pay $66/month and that is the total price, includes one Hopper DVR.
How do you like Dish? Is the service/reliability as good as Direct?
Old 12-24-2016, 07:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
How do you like Dish? Is the service/reliability as good as Direct?
I don't see a big difference between the two, I keep switching back and forth between DirecTV and DISH every couple of years to get the best rate.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:42 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have had Comcast in recent years, and they're an incredibly poorly run company. But I'm hung on their fast internet service @ $29.99 mo.

I switched to Dish when we moved, and have very comprehensive service. The rate's locked for 2 years. Dish now has a deal where you can buy channel groupings for $39.99 each--depending on your needs, and the pricing is locked for 2 years. That's without any contract too.

I have AT&T internet service at my daughter's house for $50 per month. She says it's much, much faster than Comcast. (She only watches Netflix so I didn't spring for television service.)

You might want to check with AT&T to see if their ultra fast cable tv and/or internet service is available. If not, they'll hook you up to their DirectTV dish service.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I don't see a big difference between the two, I keep switching back and forth between DirecTV and DISH every couple of years to get the best rate.
Thanks!
Old 12-24-2016, 08:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
You might want to check with AT&T to see if their ultra fast cable tv and/or internet service is available.
It isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
If not, they'll hook you up to their DirectTV dish service.
No thanks, this thread is all about getting rid of DirecTV.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:37 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

We switched from DirecTv to DISH last March. We've had no issues with Dish, have a 3 yr price lock, a yr of Netflix free. It's a bit of a learning with the Hopper. & navigating the features, but overall we are quite satisfied. It's about $20 cheaper/month. We switched mainly because of price & felt we got more features when compared to Direct. Some variations in their packages.
We too were aggravated with Diect's price hikes. When I called them to cancel, well THEN they wanted to throw offers our way. Too late! The thing that really ticked me off was as the CS rep was going thru the cancellation process, he found that we had replaced a bad receiver some months previously & because of that, effectively we were now in a new 2-yr contract & would have an early termination fee of ~$100! We had been with them 14 years! I called BS. But got NOWHERE speaking to 2 higher supervisors. I hung up & used my friend Google & found others with this complaint which lead to a phone # to call. Ultimately we paid no early termination fee.
We get mailings from Direct every month wanting us to return, gift card offers, yada, yada. The fact they're hooked to ATT lowers them in my estimation, as I detest ATT, but unfortunately have no options in that regard.

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Anyone out there a current or recent Dish customer?
Yes... we have had Dish Network for probably 6-8 years.

We originally got it because we had two homes and could have one of our "rooms" be at our seasonal home for the additional cost of a dish and installation. As a result, we only had one cable bill and the savings quickly exceeded the cost of the additional dish and installation.

A couple years ago our contract was up and I shopped around. I called Dish and told them that if they would offer me the same deal as a new customer (new equipment, $25/month credit for the first 12 months, etc.) that I would agree to a new two-year contract... otherwise I was going cable or Direct. Surprisingly, they agreed. My installer guy couldn't believe it... he was concerned that he wouldn't be paid for the install of the new equipment and I had to get him and Dish on the line to confirm it for him.

We really like PrimeTime Anytime, which you can easily configure to record all shows on any of CBS, ABC, NBC or Fox between 8pm and 11pm... they stay on the DVR for a week and then get erased. If you want a particular show for more than that week then you can just record it. We also like the Hopper that hops over commercials for certain recorded shows.

We recently elected for the lowest level of programming called Welcome Pack that is $20/month... you have to call and ask for it and you can't sign up for it online like most other Dish programming. See https://www.mydish.com/upgrades/engl...s/welcome-pack It works perfect for us because we don't get OTA so it provides our locals and HGTV for DW. While we miss USA and TNT, we can get them via our cable package at our winter condo which is Comcast.

We have one DVR that serves 4 tvs. We like the convenience of any TV in the house being able to view the same programming and recorded shows but our equipment cost for the DVR and boxes for the 3 extra tvs is $39/month.

So for 4 tvs with a centralized DVR and basic programming (Welcome Pack) we pay $59/month... $63/month after fees and taxes.

The other thing we like is that when we are at our winter home we can put Dish on vacation hold for $5/month.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:45 PM   #31

We have had Dish for over 10 years. I have no complaint. Like all, they will not volunteer new deals, but I have never had a problem getting them. We are currently out of contract. We have two TV's off one Hopper and a Joey. When I switched to the Hopper, they did it at no installation charge and it took the better part of the day for the tech to switch it over..
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #32

I had Direct TV for about 10 years but switched to Dish about 10 years ago because they had my local channels in HD long before Direct got around to it. I have some relatives that still have Direct and about all I can say is that Dish's Hopper DVR is far superior to the DVR they have with Direct.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

How poor is your internet service, we certainly don't have good service but can get by with streaming at 5MGS..10 is better we pay for 10 but a lot of time don't actually get 10..even at 5 there is little to no buffering.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
How poor is your internet service, we certainly don't have good service but can get by with streaming at 5MGS..10 is better we pay for 10 but a lot of time don't actually get 10..even at 5 there is little to no buffering.
I'd love to have those speeds as our internet service is lousy. We pay for 3Mbs but only see speeds close to that in the wee hours of the morning - prime time we are lucky to get 1Mbs. Sadly, streaming just doesn't work for us.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:10 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I have some relatives that still have Direct and about all I can say is that Dish's Hopper DVR is far superior to the DVR they have with Direct.
That was my experience also, I had the DirecTV Genie receiver and had to regularly reset the receiver because of slow performance. They eventually sent me out a new receiver but it ended up having the same issue. From reading the dbstalk forum it seemed to be a common problem. I haven't experienced any of that with the Hopper that I've been using for the past year.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:47 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

One other big positive that I forgot to mention in my previous post... I love the 30 second forward and 10 second back remote buttons... much better than scrolling through commercials than the fast forward button (we have that in Florida).

Also, wonderful for speed watching football games... if I hit the 30 second forward button when the play ends then more often than not I catch it just before the next snap unless the offense is in a hurry up mode or a call is being challenged... and if it advances too far then I just hit the 10 second back button. It is amazing how quickly you can watch a recorded game if you scroll through huddles, time outs, half-time and commercials... I especially like it when Jon Gruden is the color guy since I don't have to endure his "insights" on the game.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:07 AM   #37

Thanks to all of you who responded. Based on what I've heard here I've decided to make the switch to Dish next month.

It appears I can save even more than I initially thought by taking advantage of the Dish Flex Pack which allows you too add or delete groups of channels at any time. This will permit me to opt for the National and Regional sports packages only for the four months I actually watch them (football season).
Old 12-27-2016, 09:29 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Just curious... how much do you expect to save annually? And is that compared to your current bill or to what it would cost if you were a new Direct TV customer?

Old 12-27-2016, 09:43 AM   #39

I calculate I will save $350 annually over keeping my current DirecTV service - and that's building in a potential $20/mo credit from DirecTV. I did not calculate any savings due to the Dish price guarantee nor the savings in frustration from not having to play the annual "I'm leaving if you don't give me a better deal" game with DirectTV.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:27 PM   #40

Update:

I made the switch from DirecTV on the 12th and am very happy with our new Dish Network service. As a couple of you mentioned, the Dish Hopper is superior to the DirecTV DVR, both in terms of recording capacity and convenience. DW and I both really enjoy how it auto-skips commercials on playback of many (not all) prime time network programs.

No surprise, when I called to cancel DirecTV offered to discount my bill by $40/mo if I signed a new 12 month agreement. I considered it but knew in a year I would be seeing another price increase, plus have to call again to negotiate my expiring discounts - no thanks. After factoring in that $40/mo discount I'm still saving more than $200 a year with Dish, plus have a two-year price guarantee. And thanks to RunningBum, he and I will both get a new customer reference discount ($10 credit for 10 months) starting this month. Icing on the cake.

Once again, thanks for your input.