Do I owe this guy money?

accountingsucks

Recycles dryer sheets
I had a portion of my gutter come off. Anyways I found someone online to do this. Sent a couple of emails back and forth. He quoted me a price and asked for measurements. I gave him the measurements and since it was not a common gutter width I asked if it was possible to get this size and if not, what the alternative was. This was on Oct 6th. I did not hear anything from him so on the 10th I sent him an email asking when he might be able to do this.

At the same time, I emailed someone else with the same info as I needed this fixed ASAP. Guy number 2 was able to do the job the same day. I get an email from the first guy today (the 12th) saying he has ordered the section and it is ready to install. Do I let him know the job is done and leave it at that (he has my full name, work and home number so can get my address), pay him just for the material (probably like $20) or do I actually owe him the full amount "contracted" for the job? He should have let me know that he was going to order the material in a timely manner and in my mind since he did not answer the question I asked him, we were no longer moving forward on this. I wasn't going to chase this guy down for a small job.

Sounds to me that the only reason you're thinking of paying him is because he has your phone#. Also sounds like you asked him to do the job and gave him the measurements. I'd at least pay him for the item. Do the right thing as the guy sounds like he was trying to do for you.

Only reason I am thinking of paying him is because he actually ordered the material. He should have let me know this right away with an estimate of when he could install it. I can't see paying him any more than that as he did not actually do the job at all.

I think it would have helped if you had let the first guy know right away that you had someone else to do the job. I would pay him for the materials.

As far as I can tell, you have no contract with him, and he did not respond timely, so you probably owe him nothing, even for the materials. That said, I would probably pay for the materials, provided he delivered them (or let you pick them up from his place of business).

R

As far as I can tell, you have no contract with him, and he did not respond timely, so you probably owe him nothing, even for the materials. That said, I would probably pay for the materials, provided he delivered them (or let you pick them up from his place of business).

R

This was my take on it too. This was also a small job ($170 including material) that could/needed to be done quick so how long could I reasonably keep waiting for this fellow to get back to me on what was going on? I think it was reasonable for me to expect a response from him indicating he ordered the material and when he might be able to do the job.
My email to him also asked if he could find this size gutter as a number of other places said it was impossible to match this size and I'd have to redo my entire front section (a $300 job instead). It was really windy last week so I suspect he got busy with more lucrative jobs and hence "disappeared" for abit.

Hmmmmm...for the sake of not burning bridges for any future w*rk with the first guy, I would offer to pay for the materials so he doesn't take a loss. However, he may be able to use them on another j*b and may pass on your offer to pay.
If you do pay for the materials, take delivery and store them for next time. With gutters, there is always "a next time". :rolleyes:

Yeah, pay him for the materials when you pick up the parts.

Yes offer to pay him his cost of the material (not your price) by showing you his receipt when you pick it up. (Sometimes contractors use ordering the material as an excuse for their own delays so it is key that you physically have the part in hand before paying.)

Ditto. You have a misunderstanding, not a contact. Since it was a misunderstanding on both sides (you didn't realize he was going to order the materials, he didn't realize that ASAP meant soon ;)) I would offer to pay him for the materials at his cost- make him show you his invoice.

I would settle with him, but ask him what he thinks would be equitable before offering anything. And if you have to, buy the materials from him for up to as much as he paid.

I personally wouldnt pay him squat if it unfolded like i read it. too slow....he should know better

He sent the guy an email on a saturday and heard back on monday. That's far from ot of line. Pay for the materials.

Back
Top Bottom