Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-25-2017, 03:30 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another article of interest:

FCC takes steps to block more spammy robocalls:

Quote:
The Federal Communications Commission took steps to cut down on spammy robocalls today, passing a rule proposal that could eventually let phone companies block more unwanted calls.

The proposal would let phone companies block robocallers from using numbers they aren’t supposed to be using. If a robocaller decides to spoof another phone number — making it appear that they’re calling from a different line to hide their identity — phone providers would be able to block them if they use a number that clearly can’t exist because it hasn’t been assigned or that an existing subscriber has asked not to have spoofed.

The proposal was passed in a 3-0 vote. “Robocalls are the number one consumer complaint to the FCC from members of the American public,” FCC chairman Ajit Pai said. “We aim to take an important first step in ending the scourge of illegal robocalls.”
from https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/23/1...-proposal-vote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

On my cell phone I get frequent robocalls from phone numbers which include my area code and begin with the exchange (first 3 digits) of my cell phone. And it's always the same recorded voice with the same sales pitch for some solar energy outfit.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:30 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

I hate getting the ring. I'm always napping or in the middle of making food or doing something which is not easy to get away from.

Signing up at donotcall.gov used to work for me. When we started seeing an increase in calls, I re-added us, since your sign up expires after time. We got even MORE calls. I guess I should report them but who has the time?

I have an app-free solution that has helped. When you get your first spam call, make a contact called Blocked to VM (voicemail) with that number. Go into the options and make sure the call is set to go into VM instead of ringing. For my phone you Edit the Contact and click All Calls to Voicemail.

Add subsequent spam numbers to that list. Of course the phone will ring the first time from each new number. But a lot of these calls can be from the same number.

I don't answer any number that doesn't display from my contact list now. I figure if it's really important they'll leave a VM. But there is some satisfaction in adding those spam numbers, knowing they're wasting their time and resources calling me because I won't hear them call and they'll just get my vm, to which they never leave a message anyway.
AutumnElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:22 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

DW told me today that after a few weeks she is getting many spam calls blocked by Mr. Number i.e. no ringing at all. Free app.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

My landline has gotten bombarded with a spam caller called COMENITY a little over the past week. I've counted 25 calls with different area coded and numbers.

Even with a Sentry call blocker (that rings once), the frequency of the calls are getting annoying.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:14 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Grrr! Been keeping track. That darn COMENITY has already called 5 times today pestering me.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:33 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

We just ported our landline to Ooma premium. So far the score is zero for the robocallers. Before we were getting around 3 per weekday.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #68
Dryer sheet aficionado

Because of the Do Not Call list, there is an increasing number of businesses that now use door knocking to promote their business and sell. This is more annoying that cold calls. I understand they have a job to do, but don't want strangers at my door. I sometimes get five to six people per day, selling something at my door. I may get a no soliciting sign, but I've heard from other people that these signs have no effect on salespeople. They just walk up and knock anyway.

We also get robo calls and just hang up. I'm sure about 99% of other people do, also. I can't imagine robo calls generate much business for companies, do they?
Investornew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:53 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Grrr! Been keeping track. That darn COMENITY has already called 5 times today pestering me.

Comenity Bank
PO Box 182273
Columbus, Ohio 43218
1-800-675-5685

Comenity Capital Bank
PO Box 183003
Columbus, Ohio 43218
1-855-506-2496

It's going to be a telemarketer for one of these divisions of this bank.

Inasmuch as you can identify them, legal action is possible , but will take a lot of time and effort.

You might have to spoof your way to get a live human on the phone if the call center number requires an account number. An option like an option like "account fraud" or "stolen card "will do it.

When you get to talk to a human on the phone, as for the office of the General Council.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:55 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investornew View Post
Because of the Do Not Call list, there is an increasing number of businesses that now use door knocking to promote their business and sell. This is more annoying that cold calls. I understand they have a job to do, but don't want strangers at my door. I sometimes get five to six people per day, selling something at my door. I may get a no soliciting sign, but I've heard from other people that these signs have no effect on salespeople. They just walk up and knock anyway.
Hit the manual switch on the lawn sprinklers
Old 06-05-2017, 05:02 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Comenity Bank
PO Box 182273
Columbus, Ohio 43218
1-800-675-5685

Comenity Capital Bank
PO Box 183003
Columbus, Ohio 43218
1-855-506-2496

It's going to be a telemarketer for one of these divisions of this bank.

Inasmuch as you can identify them, legal action is possible , but will take a lot of time and effort.

You might have to spoof your way to get a live human on the phone if the call center number requires an account number. You might an option like "account fraud" or "stolen card "will do it.

When you get to talk to a human on the phone, as for the office of the General Council.
Thanks. But I'm not even sure if it truly is Comenity Bank or someone spoofing the name and number. From what I read, the number(s) calling me might be scammers posing as collectors on behalf of Comenity.

I went ahead changed the connection around to my call blocker that now should not even ring the phone unless I get a legit caller on my whitelist. If that works, I'm happy enough just to not have the bothersome ringing. If this doesn't work, I may need a better blocker.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

The T-mobile spammer block seems to be working pretty well. I used to get about 5 calls a week, and now nothing. The first week I turned on the block, I had one come through (not labeled scam likely) and since nothing. So nice and quiet!
Old 06-05-2017, 06:09 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The T-mobile spammer block seems to be working pretty well. I used to get about 5 calls a week, and now nothing. The first week I turned on the block, I had one come through (not labeled scam likely) and since nothing. So nice and quiet!
I had called TMobile about spam a few months ago. This must be new. I just turned it on by calling #662#. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investornew View Post
We also get robo calls and just hang up. I'm sure about 99% of other people do, also. I can't imagine robo calls generate much business for companies, do they?
This is the thing which gets me (and everyone else): If the robocaller/spammers know we are not interested in their products or services, and we don't want to be called, why do they keep calling those same numbers all the time? What kind of successful business model includes intentionally calling people who have already said NO NO NO NO over and over and over, and violates the law in doing this? And they have a list of people (do-not-call-list) who have already indicated they will say NO NO NO NO and don't want to be called, so wouldn't it save those spammers time and money to simply not try to call those people whose answers they already know beforehand? And how do these people sleep at night knowing that all they do is to annoy people who did nothing to deserve getting annoyed like that.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
This is the thing which gets me (and everyone else): If the robocaller/spammers know we are not interested in their products or services, and we don't want to be called, why do they keep calling those same numbers all the time? What kind of successful business model includes intentionally calling people who have already said NO NO NO NO over and over and over, and violates the law in doing this? And they have a list of people (do-not-call-list) who have already indicated they will say NO NO NO NO and don't want to be called, so wouldn't it save those spammers time and money to simply not try to call those people whose answers they already know beforehand? And how do these people sleep at night knowing that all they do is to annoy people who did nothing to deserve getting annoyed like that.
Very simple. You are a verified, live person , and therefore a chance, however small, of becoming a customer. Casting a broad net millions of times per hour , with telemarketers, some offshore, being paid pennies per hour in some cases. The system must work, or they would not be doing it. This is part of the new economy.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:07 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I had called TMobile about spam a few months ago. This must be new. I just turned it on by calling #662#. Thanks.
Yeah, a few weeks ago I started getting a "scam likely" ID on some of the incoming calls, so I didn't answer . Once I looked it up I found the info to completely block them.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:58 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

The Sweet Sound of Silence

Like clockwork, the vermin COMENITY scammer made a call to my landline phone today around 9:30 am. But since I had my Sentry 2 call blocker hooked up in serial last night, didn't hear a ring. Only way found out was checking my caller ID. So, far so good.

Peace and quiet .

Though I kind of like the "one ring then hang up" to know my blocker is working. But not as often as every couple of hours with one caller .
Old 06-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
On my cell phone I get frequent robocalls from phone numbers which include my area code and begin with the exchange (first 3 digits) of my cell phone. And it's always the same recorded voice with the same sales pitch for some solar energy outfit.
I have been getting exactly these kinds of robocalls to my cell phone recently, and I never pick up. They seem to be getting more frequent, too, so I've been wondering if there is any (inexpensive) technology out there that will block these kinds of calls. Anyone know of an app or service that will deal with this particular kind of call? Seems like it would be very easy to implement -- just enter the area code and 3-digit exchange you want to block, and voila.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:23 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I have been getting exactly these kinds of robocalls to my cell phone recently, and I never pick up. They seem to be getting more frequent, too, so I've been wondering if there is any (inexpensive) technology out there that will block these kinds of calls. Anyone know of an app or service that will deal with this particular kind of call? Seems like it would be very easy to implement -- just enter the area code and 3-digit exchange you want to block, and voila.
Telemarketers use the ploy of using numbers that start with your area code + exchange hoping you'd think that's familar and pick up.

To block, you'd need a blocker that allows wild card blocking. But at the same time, the app/device/service needs to have enough smarts to not block out legit callers that you may know using your area code + exchange.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:05 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Telemarketers use the ploy of using numbers that start with your area code + exchange hoping you'd think that's familar and pick up.

To block, you'd need a blocker that allows wild card blocking. But at the same time, the app/device/service needs to have enough smarts to not block out legit callers that you may know using your area code + exchange.
It's actually a pretty good tactic, at least initially. The first few times I saw those familiar-looking numbers pop up on my cell phone screen, I was thinking of actually picking up. But now it's like an immediate signal that it's a robocall.

As for the wild card number blocker, the logic would be very simple: Block any number that matches the wildcard unless it's in the user's contact list. I would be willing to pay a fair amount (one time upfront, not monthly) for an app that could do that.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote