Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Do Weekends Still Feel Different to You?
Old 12-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do Weekends Still Feel Different to You?

Retired 3.5 years, and weekends still feel different to me. I still have that Saturday feeling: "This is great, I have a free day today, and tomorrow is another one." I still have the Sunday feeling of a relaxing, quiet day. I guess 40 years of conditioning is hard to shake.

Granted, I sometimes think it's Sunday, and I have that Sunday feeling until I realize what day it really is.

Same for you?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have more friends and relatives around on weekends since a large number of them still work. I do some visiting on Sunday afternoons so that makes them different. I also try to avoid shopping trips on weekends.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Weekends do feel different for me because I have my husband around to play with. Other than that I suffer from the ability to totally forget what day of the week it is. Have to agree I try and avoid the shops on weekends.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

The distinction between weekend days and weekdays has become blurred since I retired but began when I switched to part-time 8 years ago. Several things I could do only on weekends I now sometimes do during the week so I sometimes forget which day it is LOL!

As someone posted in another thread, the one way to know if it is a non-holiday weekday is if you can follow the stock market's progress on CNBC that day.
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Weekends do feel different for me because I have my husband around to play with. Other than that I suffer from the ability to totally forget what day of the week it is. Have to agree I try and avoid the shops on weekends.

Ditto here. DW is not retired, so we spent the most time together on weekends. I deplore shopping on weekends - in fact I don't even like to drive on weekends.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

The only day that feels different is Sunday because we have a big breakfast and linger over the paper . I also cook something nicer on Sunday evening . Otherwise all the days just roll together .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
.....Other than that I suffer from the ability to totally forget what day of the week it is. Have to agree I try and avoid the shops on weekends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
The distinction between weekend days and weekdays has become blurred since I retired..............I sometimes forget which day it is LOL!
For about the first week or two of my retirement I knew what day of the week it was. After that, and since then, I've normally had absolutely NO freakin' idea what day of the week it is....and I don't care!!!

I've seriously considered getting a "day clock"....but since I don't really care what day it is, it would just be a waste of good money.

If I'm not traveling, I can normally figure out Wednesdays, 'cause that's when the neighbors have their garbage out at the curb for pick-up, thus reminding me to put ours out as well. And if I need to go grocery shopping, I'll ask someone at the coffee shop what day it is, so I don't accidentally go on a Saturday...Saturday grocery shoppers seem to be a rabid mob of evil humans that I try my best to avoid!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #8

Weekends still seem different to me, but, just the opposite of what they used to. Weekdays and weekends are completely reversed. I really like my weekdays much more than weekends and get a little blue (?) on Friday nights like Sunday nights used to be. Not really depressed or anything, but, I just know the weekend is coming and it just isn't the same.

Now, if my daughter has some time for me during the weekend and we have something planned....then, that's different. I'm ready to go and have some fun. But, if nothing is planned, I can't wait 'til Monday.
happy2bretired is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #9

I expect even after I retire I will have things that regularly recur on a certain day of the week. Mine will be church on Sunday and choir practice, but I would have thought non-churchgoers would know because of a class or club or the library is only open late two nights a week or the grocery store has over-55 specials on Wednesday.

I am surprised so many folks already ERd have so few of these recurring events that they can completely lose track of what day of the week it is. At the very least, don't you have to remember when to put out the garbage pail?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Every day's a Saturday!! Actually, weekdays now are BETTER than Saturdays were, because I don't have work on Monday hanging over my head.

But, Frank is still working and Saturday is his one day off each week. So I still look forward to Saturdays because we always have fun together on Saturdays.

Also, Sundays are kind of a drag because my gym has shorter hours, stores are closed or have shorter hours, the grocery store is jammed, TV has nothing but football on it, and so on. So, sometimes I save something especially fun to do, so that I can do it on Sunday.

It is hard to tell one day from another, otherwise. I make a conscious effort because my lawn guy mows every Wednesday and I don't want to forget to pay him.

Edited to add: kyounge1956, our trash is picked up twice a week, and I usually remember to put mine out on at least one of those days when I see everyone else's trash out by the curb the night before.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Well I've been off the j*b for several years and Sunday still seems different to me. I get a case of the 'glees' on Sunday evening when I realize I don't have to go to work the next day.

I do volunteer a couple of days a week; so I have to keep up with those two days. Otherwise, I'm oblivious to what day it is....and yeah maybe a few other things as well...
Old 12-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Weekends do feel different as I play no golf on the weekends(usually) and when I worked, my weekends were tied up with golf. Unfortunately I haven't been able to play any for the last 2 weeks due to cold weather or rain. #$%! But I will be playing the 19th hole shortly.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Football - in season of course. Otherwise - I have to remember them cause the street traffic/store traffic sometimes approaches weekday rush hour in certain parts of town. Plus it's Holiday shopping season.

Other than that - I tend not to notice that much.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
I am surprised so many folks already ERd have so few of these recurring events that they can completely lose track of what day of the week it is. At the very least, don't you have to remember when to put out the garbage pail?
I have some recurring events such as my volunteer work (only during the school year, not the summer) and my evening dancing (Mondays, Tuesdays, and some Thursdays). Some of my different daytime stuff starts at the same time in two different locations so I have to know which day it is so I go to the right place. Some of my dancing starts at the same time but some dancing is in a different but nearby location.

Then I have my own Scrabble night with a friend and my evenings with my ladyfriend. It is a lot to keep track of LOL!
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:45 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

after 7+yrs weekend means many more people out and about.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:38 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Retired 3.5 years, and weekends still feel different to me. I still have that Saturday feeling: "This is great, I have a free day today, and tomorrow is another one." I still have the Sunday feeling of a relaxing, quiet day. I guess 40 years of conditioning is hard to shake.

Granted, I sometimes think it's Sunday, and I have that Sunday feeling until I realize what day it really is.

Same for you?
I switched to the anti-weekend mode (week special, not weekend) pretty darn quickly - way less than a year. Sunday: yay - week almost here! Friday: on-no! weekend - crowded shopping/parks and people running their lawnmowers!

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I have the Saturday feeling that I do sometimes forget what day of the week it is. Also, at times I have the reverse feeling. While w*rking, I so looked forward to the weekend to relax and run errands. Now at times, I've found myself saying, "darn the weekend is here" because there's too much shopping crowd instead of like weekdays where there is no shopping crowd.
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
.....Friday: on-no! weekend - crowded shopping/parks and people running their lawnmowers!
+1......weekends.....ucky!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #19

Not FIREd yet, but the plan is to go opposite of the working world. Grocery shopping will be a weekday activity, say around 11am after the work-rush traffic subsides. I seriously doubt I will ever set foot off the property on saturday. Sundays will be to Church and back. In the late spring, thru summer and early autumn, we'll load up the RV on saturday afternoon, hop in after Church on Sunday, and head for the hills/state and nat'l parks...opposite the returning crowd...back by early friday afternoon...

So yeah, weekdays will be for fun. The major chores and "work around the house" day will be Saturday.

R
Old 12-11-2009, 09:59 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

It is threads like this that torment those of us still working -- but also keep us focused on the beautiful goal of ER!
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote