Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-21-2008, 08:23 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Although I am rarely assailed by those "how can you stand to be retired at 49,
aren't you bored?" types, I got hit by a couple in a short time recently and
replied that "there is no such thing as too young to retire, only too poor to retire".
A little rude, normally I let those statements roll off me.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
Although I am rarely assailed by those "how can you stand to be retired at 49,
aren't you bored?" types, I got hit by a couple in a short time recently and
replied that "there is no such thing as too young to retire, only too poor to retire".
I think this is a good response. After all, they were buttinskis walking right in where they knew nothing.

How did they respond?

Ha
Old 04-21-2008, 08:39 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Although I am rarely assailed by those "how can you stand to be retired at 49, aren't you bored?" types, I got hit by a couple in a short time recently and replied that "there is no such thing as too young to retire, only too poor to retire".
I think my reply would have been hysterical laughter...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
So after over 18 months of FIRE, it happened: someone acted like it was crazy to have retired at 52 and was incredulous that we are hoping to never work again. (He is retired, but is about ten years older and is trying to write a book and self-publish it.) And he suggested that we "should do what (we) love and get paid for it."
I don't know---just rubbed me the wrong way on so many levels---this guy acting like we couldn't have a happy, meaningful life without working, then acting like it would be so easy to get paid for something we love to do...and his dispensing advice as if he was some great sage who ahd it all figured it!
Does anyone get why this bugged me?
Eh, maybe he was suffering from writer's block. 'Cause if he was doing it for love then he wouldn't be worried about publishing.

Perhaps he was short on money, having second thoughts, and jealous of your apparent indolence.

You could always start up a blog about the activities you enjoy. Plug in a little AdSense revenue and you're well on your way to a free weekly Starbucks trip! Eh, sounds a lot like work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I recently came to realize that I am a driven person, in many ways.
Really? My gosh, what happens if your co-workers find out about this?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
When I get to escape velocity as far as money goes, I suspect I will have to put some work into downshifting to ER.
Uhm, maybe not. Sure, for a few months you'll transfer your energies to finding the best index funds and insurance premiums and spiffing up the house/yard, but pretty soon you'll find yourself driven to be the best parent you can be.

Because your teenage daughters are going to make you even more driven nuts.

Quote:
Although I am rarely assailed by those "how can you stand to be retired at 49, aren't you bored?" types, I got hit by a couple in a short time recently and replied that "there is no such thing as too young to retire, only too poor to retire".
"I didn't wait until I was old enough for driving a car, drinking alcohol, or having sex-- and I'm glad I didn't wait until I was old enough for retirement either..."

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:23 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead* View Post
Ya think?

If you'll indulge me for a bit, a short story about a guy that shouldn't ever retire.

I still keep my PGA golf card active, and give lessons reluctently as a favor to a friend of mine that is the head pro at a course near my area.

A couple of months ago, he asked me for a favor, that he was too booked up to take care of. A friend of his had sold a company in the Silicone Valley, and had moved up to the North State to retire and kick back. (He was a young guy, and least by my standards). Early 50,s.

In any case, after 3 lessons, and a complete lack of concentration on his part for the matter at hand, it was apparant to me that did not have a "Snowballs chance in Hell" of improving. Wasting both of our time.

We had a beer after last lesson, and he asked me whether he had a chance to improve. (I liked the guy, so it was a tough one).

"Well, beings we've been talking for an hour or so, and you've shown more interest in talking about your old company, and not a question about your last lesson, probably not". He laughed and agreed with me. (End of lessons.)

A couple of days ago, I got a message on my machine from him. He wants me to take him out "Fly-Fishing". Still mulling that one over, and
trying to figure a diplomatic way to bow out.

He'll be back in the saddle again (probably before a year or so).

Early retirement, or retirement in general is an art form that escapes most folks. Viva La Difference.
Jarhead ... great story ... and I just discovered that I'm an artist
Old 04-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
"I didn't wait until I was old enough for driving a car, drinking alcohol, or having sex-- and I'm glad I didn't wait until I was old enough for retirement either..."
Eloquently stated...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:42 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't know....I like the phrase "follow your passion and the money will follow." I cannot fathom working for megacorp for the money and benefits indefinitely.....I feel like I lose part of my soul every time I walk in through the security gates.
I am trying to find a few things that are my passion and will sustain me through the years.....skills that are portable and will let me make my own hours.
Tangomonster.....you have already reached your passion for early retirement.....now all you have to do is enjoy it....tell that to the guy next time you see him!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote