Do women initiate divorce more than men?

I always assumed that women initiated divorce more than men because women were married to men, whereas men were married to women. I'll be curious to see how the statistics work out over the next couple of decades with same sex marriages. Will women divorce women more than men will divorce men? Or vice-versa?

I always assumed that women initiated divorce more than men because women were married to men, whereas men were married to women. I'll be curious to see how the statistics work out over the next couple of decades with same sex marriages. Will women divorce women more than men will divorce men? Or vice-versa?
Harley- do you have a low opinion of men?

Ha

If the young people of today place so little value on marriage, maybe its not that big of a deal anymore??

It depends. For me, being in a same sex relationship, it was a financial nightmare not to have a legally recognized marriage. We had to be careful when moving money between accounts due to the gift tax laws, we couldn't go on a family health plan, we could not put each other as survivors for pensions and social security and we could have been hit with an inheritance tax if one partner died before the other. There are also big limitations on immigration laws for unmarried couples.

So, maybe morally the stigma has lessened, but there are huge financial limitations.

Back
Top Bottom