Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-12-2021, 11:58 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thinking of dream/nightmares, I did for years, even into my forties, have nightmares about college and upcoming finals and not being prepared. And sometimes of being short of credits so that I wouldn't graduate when I was supposed to. Then having to come back in the Fall and the needed classes were not offered, making graduation not possible.

Nightmares no doubt from the real life circumstances of getting a letter the summer after my senior year that "I would not graduate" because my grade average for math classes was 2.4 and math majors needed to have a 2.5 in university math classes to graduate with that BS Math degree!

I will be forever grateful to my Dad. Upon hearing this news he called the dean of the math department at the University for a meeting. My Dad basically threw my case on the mercy of the court, the Dean. The Dean had been ill-disposed to my Dad's pleadings, and saying all I had to do was come back in Fall and take one or two math courses to get that grade average up to the required 2.5. My Dad pleaded I might not have the chance to come back (Vietnam war and draft in full force at the time). But at the last minute, almost as an aside, my Dad mentioned how I had very good grades in the community college math classes which credit had transferred to the university, but they did "not" figure into the math classes grade average. I had gone to community college for two years, and the math classes I took there did not count into the university's grade average (a situation clearly spelled out in university materials). But the Dean took pity and said "Maybe that is a way around it". A few weeks later I got my BS degree in math.

That college degree led to the very prosperous life I have since led, to my ability to retire early, and to my fortunate circumstances now in retirement. And it all followed that almost accidental and last minute aside remark my Dad made to the Dean.

A real pivot point in life. I often wonder how my life would have turned out except for my Dad's going to bat for me.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2021, 03:48 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
I don't do your job, but I have been put into some situations. Thank you for doing this work and sorry for your burden.
Thanks.... I don't really consider it a burden... I look at it as an Honor, Helps with the perspective. I actually am more concerned about my sleep pattern than my dreams. I have work 12 hour rotating shifts for over 30 years, and get to nap on nights... AKA jet lag every week... so I can get a 4 hour nap and run another 24 hours... Its rare for me to sleep 6 hours straight. most off nights Im wide awake 1-3 in the morning....
Even thought about finding a 9-5 job for a while to try and rest myself...
old medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:15 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well at least the frequency kept reducing during that time.

Yes, waking up is such a relief!

I’m ready for them to stop but so far no end in sight. Oh well, when I wake up I’m back to being a happily retired individual with plenty of things I WANT to do…
Old 05-13-2021, 06:37 AM   #44

I used to occasionally have dreams involving work, usually something like I'm traveling and can't find any of my clothes in the hotel room and my plane is leaving in ten minutes. Or maybe a dream about work people, which is not surprising since they were the folks I saw day in and day out. But now, over four years later, that has stopped (thank goodness!).
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:12 AM   #45

Never had work dreams. Exam day without attending class, yes, very occasionally.

The college one that's related is that I know it's a certain day of the week, and I know I have classes, but don't have a copy of my schedule, so don't know where the class meets.

Most of my dreams are not tense, but if they are, it's usually because I'm looking for something and not able to find it. These seem to be more rare now that I punctuate my waking hours with many intervals of mindfulness. If I do remember a dream, I grade myself on my reactions to the dream situation. Rarely get a "A", often an "F", but I think my GPA has been steadily increasing.

It's like lucid dreaming: you must make a lot of effort while awake to get a change while sleeping.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:24 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhoomajor View Post
Typical college nightmares are that semester finals are almost here and I haven't attended most classes and now I am scrambling to figure out which books to study, on exam day
My last college nightmare was about my not being ready for a final exam..........BUT I had already dropped the class months earlier!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:05 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I am sure I dream, but I do not remember them anymore.

I don't remember ever having a work dream/nightmare, but do remember the occasional school one where I forgot to study!
And, when I was younger, I seemed to have the "falling one a cliff" one frequently--where I had the sensation of falling and woke up just before landing/hitting the ground. Hated that one!
Old 05-13-2021, 10:09 AM   #48

I blame this thread for my dream last night. I went to the university store in my dream and bought a large package of new ibm cards.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:25 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Interestingly, my work related nightmares followed me from my youth days of being a waiter: it was always about being alone on the floor, the door opening and the restaurant instantly filling up with a mob of hungry diners. If I was particularly stressed out, the dream would throw in additional curves: large tables of 10 or more people, drunk kitchen staff or me forgetting an order. This lasted for years, well into my real career (which gave me no nightmares - real or imaginary).
tenant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:58 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been "Out of Office" for 11 months now and I find that I dream about my old work environment all the time, very vividly. What I've come to realize is that I have always dreamt about work, but the memories of the dreams blurred with the reality of being in the office. I still dream about my first career, working in a paper mill, and that was over 25 years ago. This is why I don't trust lawsuits based on "repressed" memories, sometimes it is hard to distinguish memory of reality and memory of dreams.
Dalmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
My last college nightmare was about my not being ready for a final exam..........BUT I had already dropped the class months earlier!
I have that exact one all the time!
Dalmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:11 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I still have occasion dreams about school as well as w*rk. Similar in nature I guess as in the school dreams I'm several credits short or finals as arrived and either I haven't attended classes or haven't studied.

I used to have a lot of w*rk dreams. The frequency has subsided. Mainly that I'm still w*rking, helping out but not getting paid and not filling out my timesheet, then eventually I realize in the nightmare that I'm done.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:13 AM   #53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Same here, except that now, I do often take a brief nap in the late afternoon. Never napped until after retirement.
I hope to be a napper when I grow up

My family used to be amazed at how I could and would fall asleep just about anywhere. Whenever we flew anywhere on vacation the kids would want to sit next to mom because they knew dad would nod off before the plane even left the ground.

Just showed how sleep derived I actually was when working.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:30 AM   #54
Administrator

I was sleep deprived for the better part of 42 years. One of the best parts of retirement has been the ability to sleep until I'm done and awake feeling rested.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:33 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I still occasionally have college dreams. The ones where I have missed a bunch of classes and can't find the room where the final exams are scheduled. Always very disturbing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhoomajor View Post
Typical college nightmares are that semester finals are almost here and I haven't attended most classes and now I am scrambling to figure out which books to study, on exam day
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
The college one that's related is that I know it's a certain day of the week, and I know I have classes, but don't have a copy of my schedule, so don't know where the class meets.

I am a college professor. I may have shared this story before. I often share it with my students.

When I was a student, I used to get dreams where I knew I had to take a exam, but I did not study for it, and I don't know what building it is in, and I can't find my calculator, and once I find the building, I can't find the room, so I go into the wrong room, etc., etc.

Now that I am a professor, I have dreams that I know I have to GIVE an exam, and I have not MADE UP the exam, and then I have made up the exam, but I cannot find the photocopier to make copies, and then I cannot find the room, and then the students aren't in the room, etc.

Sigh. Looks about the same on both sides of the desk!
Old 05-13-2021, 05:30 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I don’t seem to dream that much anymore, and very rarely remember a dream.

DH has elaborate dreams and can recount them in detail.

I can also tell when he’s riding a bicycle or running in his dream or having to kick at something, because his feet move. Just a light touch on his arm stops it. And then he’ll often awaken and I’ll get the whole story!
Old 05-13-2021, 06:45 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I don't nap. Not even as a child. Never have and never will. Have insomnia. Need to avoid coffee after noon and go to bed late ~ 12 to 1. Wake up at 8.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:05 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I don't nap. Not even as a child. Never have and never will. Have insomnia. Need to avoid coffee after noon and go to bed late ~ 12 to 1. Wake up at 8.
+1

If I nap even I don't want to be around myself. Used to have insomnia but not longer since I retired. I seldom remember my dreams anymore and never minded work dreams not at all. I saw bugs in code and found solutions to problems in my dreams.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:09 PM   #59

Any work dreams I've had since retiring have been pretty neutral. The one I remember is going into a bar and finding a work colleague as the bartender.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:59 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
for me naps are one of the joys of retirement.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote