Do you believe in psychics? anonymous poll

Can psychics really contact the spirits of dead people?

• NO WAY they are con artists plain and simple

Votes: 74 78.7%
  • I doubt it but I do think there is some chance it's for real

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • It might be just fraud but I think it's probably for real

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • It's DEFINITELY for real they actually talk to the spirits

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters
In my opinion, being a psychic is an easy way to make a good living separating people who want to believe from their cash....

If psychics gave away their insight and advice for free for the good of mankind, I'd be a lot less skeptical.

So, I thought it was very eye opening. I have no better explanation, given the information that he presented other than he was psychic and received that information through some unexplained connection.

Maybe he told the same thing to 10,000 people and you're the only one that it matched up with? ;)

In my opinion, being a psychic is an easy way to make a good living separating people who want to believe from their cash....

Interesting. Do you think it's a prereq for being a hedge fund manager or just really helps?

Maybe he told the same thing to 10,000 people and you're the only one that it matched up with? ;)
Well, he gave readings to several other people in the room that they confirmed as accurate. That just increases the odds. And Dennis and Eugene are not the most common of names, especially since only her mom called him Eugene (he went by the name of Merc).

If psychics gave away their insight and advice for free for the good of mankind, I'd be a lot less skeptical.
Next you'll be asking economists to share their insights for free. :)

One time I sat in a room full of 100 verified practicing psychics, all of which admitted to the fact that their practice was a sham and then each went on to sign an affidavit, under penalty of perjury, that restated that their practice was a sham.

Does this fact have any bearing on the veracity or falsehood of the claim that psychics can contact the dead?

just to clarify terminology: though mediumship presumes psychicness, psychicness does not necessarily imply mediumship. even to roll the die one through six and then six back to one again in order and with no mistakes does not a medium make, nor does it prove connection beyond commonly perceived life.

& simply to clarify implication: even if all of life communicates with all of life all the time, and even if information (once conjured?) survives eternal, what proof is there of "life beyond" even if some parlor trick actually does retrieve information from the so-called ethers?

buddhists believe reincarnation, if occuring, happens within just a few weeks of death (i think it is supposedly some 50odd days). so perhaps, at best, the medium is just fooling you by "talking" to evil spirits disguised as your loved one. boo!

often hope if false but i have faith that the sun will rise tomorrow. sometimes faith and false hope is all we really have. regardless, i think it is safe to say that life is for the living.

Last edited:
I've seen written papers in peer-reviewed scientific and medical journals that indicate that paranormal and supernatural activity isn't real. We're talking Oxford, MIT, Harvard - reputable places, folks. You can't deny it.

Whenever we pass a rundown storefront with a "Palm Reader" sign, I always say to my wife, "You know why they don't take appts, right?" And she always wearily replies "Cause they know you're coming by?"

Once I asked my brother if he took physics in high school and my Dad popped up with "No, he always went by himself." Good old-fashioned joke.

Mike D.

Some years ago on the outskirts of Baltimore the cops raided a psychic's place of business. Raid was successful. Cops were joking: she shouda seen it coming.

I voted no way like 75% of you folks. I have always thought the paranormal, ESP, psy-chicks and the like are pulling my leg and do not really believe in this stuff. Of course, there are probably a good number of folks who may think me a bit wacky for believing in God. So I guess it all balances out in the wash.

What the heck, as long as you don't get too carried away with our individual wackyness~play on.

Last edited:
Of course they exist. Did I ever tell you about my (former) friend who consulted one before seeing her FA about buying an annuity. Yes, it's all about moolah.

Well, he gave readings to several other people in the room that they confirmed as accurate. That just increases the odds. And Dennis and Eugene are not the most common of names, especially since only her mom called him Eugene (he went by the name of Merc).

He ran all your license plates before he came in for dinner?

One time I sat in a room full of 100 verified practicing psychics, all of which admitted to the fact that their practice was a sham and then each went on to sign an affidavit, under penalty of perjury, that restated that their practice was a sham.

Does this fact have any bearing on the veracity or falsehood of the claim that psychics can contact the dead?

Really? Or are you ****ing with us?

Tell me more.

Probably not those 100 guys.

He ran all your license plates before he came in for dinner?
He was there before us. If he was a fraud, he is going about it the wrong way since he probably could have hit us up for another reading but never did. I would have paid another $20 to hear what else he had to say given the accuracy of his information.

WOW! Thanks for the responses everyone!

I'm surprised by the results. I thought more people believed in them....but at least not on here!...thank goodness!

One of the big problems I have with it is I think a lot of people get ripped off by them and I will explain what I mean.

I won't go into it but I got ripped off with junk science at a young age and it really turned me off to things that are totally unproven. I had to do hard physical work to make the money I wasted on something I thought was for real and It hurt! I think it bothers me even more to see others riped off.

Now if a psychic wanted to say that they are really not contacting spirits of dead loved ones and this is for fun and they make the $1400 an hour doing it like at least one of the top ones does. Well then I'm fine with it.

But the only way that someone would pay $700 for a half hour reading that isn't a multi millionaire is if they thought for sure you were able to talk to their lost loved ones.

Now if they are not actually talking to them this is total fraud and $700 may not be a lot of money to a psychic but I know quite a few people to whom that is a lot of money. It's a lot of money to me.

On top of that I have heard one prominent psychic actually make medical diagnoses on tv and also tell what drug to take!

Now just imagine that a psychic tells someone that believes in them to take a certain drug. They will probably not be satisfied until they take it no matter how inappropriate it is or how dangerous...just because some psychic told them this!

One other example. I know a girl who has a nice husband I like the guy a lot...he is just a nice guy and a good person. Well his wife believes in psychics and she went to one that told her she would have two husbands in her life. I can't help but think she probably will treat her husband worse as a result of this or even force a divorce in some way because of this psychics stupid BS.

If I tell you that I'm going to say put a deck on your house and you pay me up front to do it and I never do it, it would be considered stealing. I think the same applies to a psychic who charges you $700 and never actually does what you paid them for.

Yet this is legal!

It's easy enough to prove if this is accurate that is why no one will step up and do it.

Jim

People believing in unbelievable crap is called "faith". The whole premise of faith is that you don't need proof or evidence to support your beliefs. That's all fine and dandy until your irrational beliefs start affecting other people.

But it is rude to challenge one's faith even when it isn't grounded in evidence. So it is best to just let people get tricked I suppose. :rolleyes:

I had a premonition that we would have a thread like this.

Yeah! Hooray!
grin.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif

Unfortunately predictions are only ok when presented before the event.

what happens when the proof of your beliefs shred, like when a physicist enters a black hole?

if you want spirituality for sale, there's always deepak.

There's a funny little show on USA Network, Psych, where a detective pretends to be a psychic so the police department will pay for his services--shows how he zeroes in on little clue-things and then pretends they're being revealed to him by the spirits.

Back
Top Bottom