Do you chase the bling?

Athena , Sorry to hear about your Mom and your husband . That ring will be gorgeous and a great reminder of your mother .

You and your DH have had a ten year grace period so far and I pray it will continue. Medicine is advancing so fast. It sounds like your mother's care is being well managed. She is lucky to have a supportive daughter like you.

What a beautiful idea for a ring. We all have heard the "diamonds are forever" line and the new ring will carry past generations of love to future ones. It's bling love--I like that!

I am so sorry hear about your mother and your DH. I hope that your DH receives the promising new drug. I am glad to hear that you can still see the beauty and feel the calm. Take care of yourself.

Very sorry to hear that news.

You sure know how to do bling, Tivol is a awesome.

he was diagnosed with polycythemia over 10 years ago and are grateful for the good years we've had since. Monday we meet with a doctor about his possibly entering a clinical trial for a promising new drug

When my late wife was dying of cancer I started researching clinical trials, but not one of them would accept people who had been exposed to previous medications/procedures, (chemo, radiation, etc), for fear it would skew the results.

I wish you the best of luck.

When my late wife was dying of cancer I started researching clinical trials, but not one of them would accept people who had been exposed to previous medications/procedures, (chemo, radiation, etc), for fear it would skew the results.

DH has been on only one med the whole time for the polycythemia (Hydroxyurea) and it's very commonly used for PV and other predecessors of AML. I'm assuming his doc knows of any such limitations and that DH has a good chance of getting into the study.

Athena53 - Sorry to hear the news about your husband. I hope the clinical trial works out.

I'm assuming his doc knows of any such limitations and that DH has a good chance of getting into the study.

I certainly hope he gets taken on, and that there are positive results. Good luck!

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone! And, to get back on topic- I remembered one bling purchase I'm very glad I didn't make.

I got a mailing from Tivol, the store I mentioned earlier, and it included a pair of cuff links made to look like little crabs- the body was pink mother-of-pearl and the eyes were rubies up on little gold stalks. They were whimsical but elegant at the same time- and I think they were $3,000. I just looked on their site to see if I could post a picture, but they no longer carry them. I pondered it for quite awhile and finally decided not to get them.

Two months later I ER'd.:blush: I still have 4 shirts with French cuffs but rarely wear them. Dodged that bullet.

Athena53,
Very sorry to hear about your rough patch of bad news. Best wishes as you, your DH, and your mom work through the days ahead--one day at a time does the trick.

Do these qualify?

Attachments

• Breitling.jpg
    Breitling.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Omega.jpg
    Omega.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 6
Yeah, I'd say so! My Dad bought an inexpensive Breitling back in the 1970s just because he liked it. Apparently it's now "vintage" and desirable. He's 85 and still wears it daily.

Yeah, I'd say so! My Dad bought an inexpensive Breitling back in the 1970s just because he liked it. Apparently it's now "vintage" and desirable. He's 85 and still wears it daily.

This one is a 1985 vintage. Found on ebay with a few "problems" and got for a song. Sent to Breitling for overhaul. Total was 1/4 or less a new Navitimer. :dance:

Do these qualify?

I don't know. :LOL:

Saw S.1 and his S.O. recently at a get-together. I had to ask DW if S.O.'s engagement ring was bigger/nicer than hers (different cuts). As is often the case in this area, I sparked laughter. Apparently the kids didn't just go to the pawnshop and buy a "reasonable" diamond like we did. (They can easily afford it though...)

I don't know. :LOL:

Saw S.1 and his S.O. recently at a get-together. I had to ask DW if S.O.'s engagement ring was bigger/nicer than hers (different cuts). As is often the case in this area, I sparked laughter. Apparently the kids didn't just go to the pawnshop and buy a "reasonable" diamond like we did. (They can easily afford it though...)

:flowers:

I had an interesting Bling experience yesterday.

Last month we visited my 85-year old mother, who is getting hospice care at home for the cancer that's ravaging her body (she chose not to fight it and we support that). She's been giving away a lot of her things and as the oldest daughter I got her engagement ring and another diamond engagement ring that belonged to a great-great aunt. Mom always wore both but said she was afraid they'd disappear if she ended up unconscious in a hospital. I bought a 3rd diamond to match them from Blue Nile.

Two days ago we got the news that my husband's polycythemia has morphed to acute myeloid leukemia. We've known this was a possibility since he was diagnosed with polycythemia over 10 years ago and are grateful for the good years we've had since. Monday we meet with a doctor about his possibly entering a clinical trial for a promising new drug, but it may be Game Over and, at almost 78, it's to be expected.

So- with that happy prologue- yesterday I went into the nicest jewelry store in the area (Tivol, for those of you who know KC) and handed over the rings and the 3rd diamond to have them all set in a platinum band. As they wrote it up, I had plenty of time to wander around and admire the merchandise, most of it laughingly outside of my reality (a lovely diamond parure- too substantial to be called a necklace- was $55,000). It was beautiful, it was calming. These things are virtually permanent (provided they're not lost or stolen). The workmanship was amazing. The ring I'm having made, God willing, will go to my daughter-in-law and then to my granddaughter.

I'm not into retail therapy but it was good to be briefly surrounded by such beauty, even though it was partially man-made. I'm sure Amethyst can relate!

So sorry to hear about your husband, my late husband also lost his battle with AML in 2012. Unfortunately my hubby was only 53.

So I'm not a retail or bling basher, I'm more of a "big picture" gal. Day to day I'm pretty budget conscious so I don't stress if I drop 2k on a bag every 10 years. Enjoy your beauty however or wherever you find it. losing a hubby, a baby brother and a best friend all under 55 has definitely drummed home the "life is short" point

Enjoy your beauty however or wherever you find it. losing a hubby, a baby brother and a best friend all under 55 has definitely drummed home the "life is short" point

Thanks! I know that bling won't bring Mom back after she's gone but it will mean so much to have the diamond Dad placed in her finger 60+ years ago. I used to watch "Antiques Roadshow" and joke to DH that I wished someone in my family had left me a canary yellow diamond ring worth $75,000 but my relatives were mostly happy to die debt-free. I'm glad to have a few more modest pieces from my mother.

Back
Top Bottom