Do you drive a stick shift car?

:LOL: Heck, when you fellows began talking about hand crank cars, I thought you were talking about Ford model T's or model A's. I didn't think any of you were THAT old. My Dad(who would be 106 in July of this year) talked about hand cranks and rumble seats, but I am relieved that you are referring to a fairly recent Citroen.

:LOL: Heck, when you fellows began talking about hand crank cars, I thought you were talking about Ford model T's or model A's. I didn't think any of you were THAT old. My Dad(who would be 106 in July of this year) talked about hand cranks and rumble seats, but I am relieved that you are referring to a fairly recent Citroen.

I have personal experience with hand cranking a 1959 MGA and I'm less than 100.

I am sure I wouldn't be cranking anything when I am 100. I would just be cranky.

Wait! I am already cranky, as DW often tells me. And I don't expect to live to 100 anyway. 70 maybe.

I can drive the Camry either with full automatic transmission and semi-automatic transmission (manual gear shifting but no clutch). The semi-auto option is just too weird, I keep wanting to press a pedal with my left foot when I change gear.

I just came back from a road trip and I am revising my statement about the tiptronic (semi-auto) transmission on the Camry. The full Automatic transmission is really ideal at low speed and in the city. But the 4th and 5th gears are particularly short and by the time you reach 65-70, you are left with zero pickup power (even if you floor it) which sucks big time when you have to pass someone on the highway. The I4 engine on the Camry is really quite powerful but the full auto transmission seriously holds it back at high speeds. The semi-auto option, on the other end, really unlocks the engine's true power on highways and in the mountains. The tiptronic transmission took a bit of getting used to, but it was well worth learning how to use it. I am sold.

Just remembering - most of my cars were prone to dead or dieing batteries or starters - many is the car that got push started or pull started (dope on a rope) so I could go off to work. Remember an old Mustang that got parked with a sensitivity to slope and possible blocking traffic whenever I stopped. Open door, key on, shoulder to the A pillar, PUUUUUUSH, leap in, grab second, start? repeat as necessary.

Yep - 1954 Chevy suburban in Littleton CO in the 70's. The plant had a few 'sloped' parking lots and I carried a rock to put under a wheel while at work.

heh heh heh - :D

My DW's first car,an MGA, had a hand crank as well as a regular starter. She said the big guys at college would start her car when the Lucas electrical electric system inevitably failed.

In high school I drove a 1960 VW with stick shift. No gas gauge, had to check with a dip stick. He didn't mind checking it for me though.:D I also had a 1980 Mazda rx7 with stick shift. And a 1985 Honda Accord with stick. Been automatic ever since.

In high school I drove a 1960 VW with stick shift.
I only drove a real VW bug once. While the gear shift and clutch pedal might have looked like any other car with a manual transmission, that sloppy linkage to the tranny (somewhere way back there) and the mechanical (not hydraulic) clutch caused it to shift like nothing else I've ever driven.

I only drove a real VW bug once. While the gear shift and clutch pedal might have looked like any other car with a manual transmission, that sloppy linkage to the tranny (somewhere way back there) and the mechanical (not hydraulic) clutch caused it to shift like nothing else I've ever driven.
Ah, then you must have missed out on the experience of driving the 1988 Yugo... or maybe you didn't really "miss" anything.

My DW's first car,an MGA, had a hand crank as well as a regular starter. She said the big guys at college would start her car when the Lucas electrical electric system inevitably failed.

Ah, Lucas Electrics.

The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."

Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb. Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.

Ha, ha, ha - my package car is a manual transmission and for the first 9 years I drove one that was not only a manual but it didn't have power steering - ugh.

My personal vehicle is an automatic. :)

Real men are secure enough to have their gears shifted for them.....:D

Virtually all of my cars and trucks are/were manual transmissions. However, when I was young I did have a 1940 Ford coupe with a modified Chevy engine that had a "semi-automatic transmission". My girl friend use to sit so close to me she would have to operate the floor shifter while I operated the clutch pedal.:)

Virtually all of my cars and trucks are/were manual transmissions. However, when I was young I did have a 1940 Ford coupe with a modified Chevy engine that had a "semi-automatic transmission". My girl friend use to sit so close to me she would have to operate the floor shifter while I operated the clutch pedal.:)
Wow, that brought back some memories.

Ah, Lucas Electrics.

The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."

Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb. Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.
\
Lucas, also known as "The Prince if Darkness"

Learned to drive on a stick and can't seem to convert over to automatic. Have had a few automatics...found myself trying to "shift gears". All three of our vehicles are standard shift...one has 6 forward gears, one has 5, and the other one has 3. Keeps you on your toes in that first gear is in a different position on each vehicle!

Back
Top Bottom