Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Concerning reading books ...
I enjoy it more than I used to 31 28.18%
I enjoy it about the same amount as I used to 44 40.00%
I enjoy it less than I used to 33 30.00%
Other 2 1.82%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2020, 05:40 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I read less books but enjoy it about the same. These forums seem to interrupt the book reading.
Suppose I was more easily enthralled when younger. The last thing I read and was sad it was over was 100 Years of Solitude, and that was four years ago. The local library has a small section labeled Classics that has been good for finding things I never would have read. Selections there range from The Wizard of Oz to The Divine Comedy. I try to pick something out of that shelf once a month or so to keep from getting dull. I've been running through M.C. Beatons Hamish MacBeth mysteries, nice easy reads that have good characters and decent plots.
Oh, and I'm a dead tree finely sliced guy. Don't care for reading on the tablet except when traveling.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2020, 06:06 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've always been a reader. When I was young I could read an average book in a day, although anything that really required thought would slow me down. I've often thought my reading speed was a bit of a curse, since I would go through books so fast. I spent a lot of my time in libraries and used book stores.

During my working years I read less, but still a lot.

Now that I'm FIREd I read a lot again, but mostly using the e-library. I've got books on my phone or computer, and read whenever I'm not doing something else. The nice part of the e-library is that I can read the same book no matter which electronic device I'm on, where in the old days I'd have a book in my room, a book in the car, a book in my backpack, office, etc., and I'd have to bounce between them.

I think the only thing that lessens my enjoyment is the fact that I've read so many great books, and so very very many good books, that it's hard to impress me these days. But I think that's just one of the side effects of age and experience. I'm that way with philosophy, politics, music, finances, pretty much everything that drives conversation. I've heard it, thought about it, decided I don't have the answer or the energy to try to convince or impress anyone. "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun."

Still, I can enjoy a writer's style and way with words, and occasionally an interesting twist on the story. I can also re-read old favorites, and since my memory stinks, it's almost like reading it for the first time. And no matter what, the process of rinsing the nonsense of the world out of my mind with a book is still very enjoyable.
Do You Enjoy Reading More, Same, or Less Than When Younger?
Old 02-01-2020, 06:08 PM   #23

Do You Enjoy Reading More, Same, or Less Than When Younger?

I don't count but I read a lot of books. Way more than when I was younger. I did read on the plane quite a bit but little outside of that. Now while in Mexico a few weeks I'll read 4-5 easy. I have struggled at times to find new authors as I have many favorites but plow through their new books in no time. So, I just found another author that I haven't read but has over twenty books. That will keep me busy for sure. A friend of my wife stayed for a few days a couple weeks ago and we talked about reading and she gave me several new authors to read. However 95% is fiction so there are many to read that aren't.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I have always liked to read, but not books really, more like articles and things like that are of interest to me. I am reading now more that I am a little bit older. I think because there is more time on my hands and the internet is available now where you can find information on just about any topic.
+1, same here. I have never been a big reader of fiction, and as I get older, I read almost no fiction. I read a ton of articles on topics of interest to me, and some non-fiction books. I am always looking up information on whatever topic I am currently interested in, which takes up most of my reading time these days.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:58 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I read more than ever. But sitting down and reading a book, not really. (Perhaps one/week). It's not that the book won't be terrific, it's that I spend my time reading so much else.

In the morning walking my dogs, I read blogs. At the gym, I read my Kindle. The computer for news and learning. Then there are podcasts. With all that, don't have time to get invested in TV programs.

Quit school when I was 15, so enjoy learning math now. Currently learning high school trig. I find the subject fascinating. BTW, can someone answer this for me: How did Pythagoras invent his theory? That just fascinates me. I didn't even think the number "0" was invented till much later.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:13 PM   #26

i used to read several books at the same time...one in bed, one in the can and for a while one in my lunch box. mainly fiction but some biographies. book-of-the-month club for 25-yrs and frequent runs to local bookstores for sales. i still have about 2-dozen unread books at home and 3 or 4 more in the motor home. i just can’t seem to get interested.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:49 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Nothing like settling in a comfy chair with a (real) book in your lap and a fire in the fireplace!
Oh, and a dog next to you :-)

+1 And if it’s a GOOD book, I’ll think I’ve never been so happy
Old 02-02-2020, 04:50 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I voted same. Always read a fair bit and still do. I have hardly ever abandoned a book.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:19 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I read a great deal.

Like Harley I read a great deal as a young person, much less during my working years, and back to reading a lot during retirement.

I watch considerably less TV these days, and that’s probably why I read more. I watched a lot of TV during working years, and maintained the habit for a while when I first retired but got tired of it.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:29 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Perhaps there are more (digital) distractions ?
Very true. There's something more immediate, active, or relevant about reading a news article, a forum like this one, or researching something (like how to make better scrambled eggs) than reading a book.

Sometimes I'll read for only thirty seconds before remembering something I want to check online.

-----------

I sometimes reread books I couldn't put down when younger, but I don't get the same effect. It was interesting to reread My Side of the Mountain, which I read in elementary school.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:33 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Sometimes I'll read for only thirty seconds before remembering something I want to check online.
Like what's showing on Short Attention Span Theater?
Old 02-02-2020, 01:59 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I think I used to read fiction for insights in how to figure out life. Maybe that was a mistake. Now that I've got it figured out (or given up on changing the "me" model) I read more for how other people think. Much of my fiction reading is mystery, spies or police procedurals and such.

I'm a slow reader and later in the evening I have trouble staying awake. So at that points it's either web surfing, spreadsheet work, or TV.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:32 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I think I used to read fiction for insights in how to figure out life.
Great observation.

Several of the books I've read on how to write explain that that's the basis of why humans like to read or hear stories. Ogg come home from trip and explain how he avoided being eaten by tiger, and his cave mates learn from that.

That's why most of the blurbs for my books follow this formula (from Gotta Read It!):

1. A character, who
2. Wants something, but
3. Something stands in her way, so she
4. Struggles against that force, and
5. Something important is at stake.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:48 AM   #34

May be a stretch from reading, but I am now into 'spoken word with musical accompaniment'. Doesn't count as reading, of course, lol. But I'm now into going to operatic voice recitals at local colleges. Just the singer and a piano or maybe a cello. Just like reading, you have to let yourself get drawn into the event for maximum enjoyment.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:55 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Great observation.

Several of the books I've read on how to write explain that that's the basis of why humans like to read or hear stories. Ogg come home from trip and explain how he avoided being eaten by tiger, and his cave mates learn from that.

That's why most of the blurbs for my books follow this formula (from Gotta Read It!):

1. A character, who
2. Wants something, but
3. Something stands in her way, so she
4. Struggles against that force, and
5. Something important is at stake.
There seems to be some underlying mystery (to me) of really good story construction. Also some of it is the richness of the English language. That is why I tend to really like some British authors, for their command of the language. It a little like melody in music, hard for me to pin down but I know when I read it.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:42 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
for their command of the language. It a little like melody in music, hard for me to pin down but I know when I read it.
+1

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:54 PM   #37
Gone but not forgotten

I read as much as I 've always read which is a lot . If I find an author I like I will read all their books . I also belong to a book club so that spurs me on even more .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

For years I read almost anything that crossed my path other than trashy romance novels, but now I'm a lot pickier and therefore, enjoy it more. If I come across an author I like I'll check if they have a recurring character and will then try to get the series.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:29 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There seems to be some underlying mystery (to me) of really good story construction. Also some of it is the richness of the English language. That is why I tend to really like some British authors, for their command of the language. It a little like melody in music, hard for me to pin down but I know when I read it.
"I assure you, Watson, without affectation, that the status of my client is a matter of less moment to me than the interest of his case. It is just possible, however, that that also may not be wanting in this new investigation. You have been reading the papers diligently of late, have you not?"

Doyle's books sound especially good as audiobooks:

Old 02-04-2020, 04:20 AM   #40

I have always enjoyed reading. When I was just a young sprout it was anything that grabbed my attention. Once in college it became technical and scientific (especially biological) books. That continued for many decades until I needed to return for a little more enjoyment. Once retired reading was for entertainment again.

I prefer series fiction once I find a style that is a fun read. Sometimes it takes a while to find a new series but thanks to the internet there are websites that can help find authors with similar styles.
I mostly read either in the evening (I find new TV shows to be mostly garbage) or while occupying my time when waiting.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote