Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Concerning reading books ...
I enjoy it more than I used to 31 28.18%
I enjoy it about the same amount as I used to 44 40.00%
I enjoy it less than I used to 33 30.00%
Other 2 1.82%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Enjoy Reading More, Same, or Less Than When Younger?
Old 02-01-2020, 08:51 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do You Enjoy Reading More, Same, or Less Than When Younger?

I seem to have more trouble finding books that I enjoy. Last year, I read 72 books and abandoned 57. Even when I like a book, I rarely think it ends too soon.

I remember not being able to put books down even when I needed to be at work (Shogun, Gateway, The Firm, etc.), but that happens rarely now.

I'm trying to figure out whether it's because
  1. I'm older
  2. I write books, so I usually know what's going to happen and when
  3. I have too much time for reading
  4. It just seems that I enjoy it less

What about you?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2020, 09:01 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I also find I am abandoning them more than I used to. I have 4 or 5 library books out at any one time. Maybe 1 of those will be read cover to cover.

Perhaps the quality of writing has declined ? (present company excluded of course !!)

Perhaps there are more (digital) distractions ?
Old 02-01-2020, 09:37 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I enjoy it more than I used to, mainly because I have more time and energy to read them. Back in my working days, I tried reading them while on the awful train ride. But after 10 minutes they made me too sleepy so I had to stop. Now, I don't mind it if they make me sleepy because I can simply take a nap!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:58 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I enjoy reading, I have since childhood. I don't care if I can guess what is going to happen, I still read. I have occasionally read digital books, but prefer paper.

Nothing like settling in a comfy chair with a (real) book in your lap and a fire in the fireplace!
Oh, and a dog next to you :-)
Old 02-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #5

Same here, Al. I think it takes a lot of intellectual energy and eagerness to really 'get into' a book, and 'buy into' the whole thing. As a twenty-something and thirty-something I remember happily getting absorbed into Philip Roth, Ken Kesey, etc. novels. Lately, as a matter of discipline, and also to get myself drowsy before sleeping, I make myself read from my copy of Tolstoy short stories now and then.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:18 AM   #6

I read a lot. Books are for enjoyment, so if I’m not enjoying the book I won’t finish. I created a “DNF” shelf in my Goodreads account for those.

Soon after I ER’d I joined a book club so I would be encouraged to read something different than my usual genres. Even there, if I don’t like the book I won’t finish (although my threshold is a little higher for book club books). We are currently reading “The Scarlet Letter”. It was assigned reading for me in high school; I’m not impressed as an adult. I remember the punchline, but not the details. I’m doing a lot of skimming over Hawthorne’s lamentations on human frailty because I just want to get to the meat of the story. I might just resort to the cliff notes to fill in my memory.

Life is too short to read books you don’t like.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:23 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I used to read a lot, and had a personal rule not to abandon a book, which I violated once for "on the beach".
I would get lost in books like Dune.

Life took over, and I lost the drive to read.

I think its all the distractions of digital life, including this forum (a different kind of reading) that have reduced my reading.

Last summer while on an island without electricity, I read 6 books, which again points to the digital distraction theory.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:25 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I've always loved to read. In retirement, I can read to my heart's content. I like the "mystery" genre, but my problem is finding new books that aren't gratuitously violent. The violence is unnecessarily graphic and detailed, and is almost always exhibited against female characters. Most of these books are written by women. No doubt I'm now a fossil, book-wise, but for whodunnits, give me Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie. The gore-fest genre bores me.
ocdokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

More for me, have more time. Every night before bed, stereo on, I do about 3 hours at a leisurely pace. No hurry, no reading ahead to the exciting conclusion. After all it's not like I have to get to sleep so I can get up and work tomorrow -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I find I am reading more and more, (translated), works, (predominantly, but not exclusively, European/Icelandic...with a few Afrikaans/Israeli/etc, thrown into the mix).

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I seem to have more trouble finding books that I enjoy. Last year, I read 72 books and abandoned 57. Even when I like a book, I rarely think it ends too soon.

I remember not being able to put books down even when I needed to be at work (Shogun, Gateway, The Firm, etc.), but that happens rarely now.

I'm trying to figure out whether it's because

1. I'm older
  2. I write books, so I usually know what's going to happen and when
  3. I have too much time for reading
  4. It just seems that I enjoy it less

What about you?
It sounds like I have the same problem as you.

Do I read more, the same, or less than I did when younger? About the same. I have had a habit since high school to read in bed for about an hour to an hour and a half before going to sleep.

But you asked--Do you *enjoy* reading more, less, or the same? Unfortunately, the answer is I enjoy it less. Although I devote the same amount of time to it there is evidence I don't enjoy it as much. You listed a couple of reasons: abandonment of books before finishing them and knowing what was going to happen in the story. I like the thriller genre so knowing what is going to happen and being proven correct gives mixed feelings.

In the past I never abandoned a book. Now it happens quite frequently. I'm not up to your ratio (more than 40%), but I'm at roughly 25%.

Part of the problem is there are a lot more books available. E-books and self marketing have created a lot of authors. Quality of storytelling has not kept pace. I haven't decided if being a Kindle Unlimited member is a blessing or a curse, but I'm leaning toward curse.

A great source of amusement for me is reading Amazon reviews of books I've read. I am flabbergasted at the number of 5 star reviews that are given. I figure the average reader must be unsophisticated or else the author is somehow gaming the system for good reviews. I would suppose my usual rating of books that I finish would be 3 stars. (I have written a fair number of reviews.)

A book that keeps me reading past my usual lights out time at bedtime is rare and it is getting rarer as I get older. You mentioned "The Firm" and "Shogun". Those were a couple I remember that were unputdownable. In recent memory "Leviathan Wakes", the first book in The Expanse series did that to me. Jack Reacher novels can do it to me at times. But it is rare these days.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:51 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I read less than I did when younger and far less than I did the last 20+ years I was working, when getting lost in a good book was a means of escape from the stress of megacorp. I would often spend my lunch hour reading in my car, parked under a tree in a nearby church parking lot.

Didn't realize how much I was using it as stress relief/avoidance until I retired and found I had more interesting and enjoyable things to do other than reading. I do still read but only 10-20% as much.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:30 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I like it more, but find it difficult to find the time I’d like to spend. Perhaps that’s a sign that it’s not as much a priority as I think it is? I’m a slow reader, which is frustrating.
Extra Medium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:48 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Way way way less. I used to churn through books of all stripes in grade school - my Mom was in college and I read her Literature course books. Heinlein and his Stranger in a Strange Land, the Dune books, Poe, Twain, Booth Tarkington, Arthur C. Clarke, Tolkien, Michener - if their books were available they got read multiple times. In college they touted the Great Books program. Tougher sledding. War and Peace took a number of goes before I managed to get more than a few hundred pages in and the last couple hundred pages weren't read with any real focus, but I did chew through it.

Now? After years of flitting about from link to link, teaser pop-ups and Google I barely maintain focus past a couple paragraphs. Read some pages of Harry Potter to a kid and found it tedious; reviews laud the invention of Rowling but to me it read as if she was getting paid by the word rather than the beauty and invention of her phrasing or the creativeness and seduction of her story. My eyes are getting cloudy as well..
Old 02-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #15
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I find I am reading more and more, (translated), works, (predominantly, but not exclusively, European/Icelandic...with a few Afrikaans/Israeli/etc, thrown into the mix).

Me too. It wasn’t a conscious decision but I find that most of my favorites are translated.
sally4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:12 PM   #16

I have always liked to read, but not books really, more like articles and things like that are of interest to me. I am reading now more that I am a little bit older. I think because there is more time on my hands and the internet is available now where you can find information on just about any topic.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:19 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Read mainly articles and enjoy it about the same as when I was working.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:19 PM   #18

I spend more time reading than ever, because I have the time. Fewer books enthrall me, compared to years ago.

Maybe the reason is that the more one reads, the more story lines one has been exposed to. There are fewer and fewer new fields to plow. But every once in a while there is one, and then I enjoy it as much as ever.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:58 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
What really bugs me is when the author reaches the word count and then wraps it up quickly.

I agree that the average quality has gone down. And my abandoned rate has risen by 3x.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:38 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Definitely read much more for enjoyment the past few years, maybe a book a week. Prior to retired life I actually read a lot more, with my nose in technical manuals and documents for several hours every day. Not the most fun stuff to read, but I had to be smart enough to fool test pilots and test engineers into thinking I knew everything about the weapon systems my company was building for them.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote