View Poll Results: Do You Feel You Spend Too Much Time On The Forum
Yes 38 74.51%
No 13 25.49%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Ever Feel You Spend Too Much Time On The Forum
Old 04-08-2006, 10:39 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do You Ever Feel You Spend Too Much Time On The Forum

Ever feel that you are wasting too much time on the forum, that there are other areas/interests in your life that need more attention.
Like learning something new, volunteering, spending time with friends, loved ones, etc. or doing the things you longed to do when you were working, but were prevented from doing.
Have you found a balance where the forum is useful but not the main focus of your day or are you addicted to it in a way you don't fully understand.
It's one thing to be at work, work you don't like and being on the forum because you're bored and want to educate yourself about getting ER'd or want to entertain yourself.
But what about being ER'd and spending much of your time doing this - what does that say about your ER life?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Do You Ever Feel You Spend Too Much Time On The Forum
Old 04-08-2006, 10:42 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, and I'd also like to enter a Yes vote for Cute Fuzzy Bunny

(Just kidding, that's a large part of what keeps these boards interesting!)
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:02 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Actually, i'm usually doing pretty productive stuff in between posts.

Besides, if I rolled all that time up and did something productive with it, I'd run out of stuff to keep thinking "ya know, I should..." and then I'd have no answer for that "But whadda ya do all day" question...

Today I took down the old glass doors in our spare bathroom because they have a chipped corner the baby could cut himself on, bought and put up a temporary rod and curtain until I get a replacement set of doors and mount them. Trimmed a bunch of hedges. Played out in the cul de sac with Gabe and a bunch of other kids for a couple of hours. Turned and refilled my composter. Cooked 3 meals for two people and a baby. Homemade waffles for breakfast, a roast chicken with fixins for lunch and a long simmered brisket mexican barbacoa style for shredded beef taco's ready in time for dinner. Fed and watered six animals. Cleaned the kitchen, did 3 loads of laundry and a load of dishes. Bought and set up a new coffee maker. Emptied out half of one of our storage sheds and reorganized it. Cleaned out the fridge.

That was a LIGHT day.

And I probably still put up more posts than anyone...

What did YOU do today?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny

Besides, if I rolled all that time up and did something productive with it, I'd run out of stuff to keep thinking "ya know, I should..." and then I'd have no answer for that "But whadda ya do all day" question...

Today I took down the old glass doors in our spare bathroom because they have a chipped corner the baby could cut himself on, bought and put up a temporary rod and curtain until I get a replacement set of doors and mount them. Trimmed a bunch of hedges. Played out in the cul de sac with Gabe and a bunch of other kids for a couple of hours. Turned and refilled my composter. Cooked 3 meals for two people and a baby. Homemade waffles for breakfast, a roast chicken with fixins for lunch and a long simmered brisket mexican barbacoa style for shredded beef taco's ready in time for dinner. Fed and watered six animals. Cleaned the kitchen, did 3 loads of laundry and a load of dishes. Bought and set up a new coffee maker. Emptied out half of one of our storage sheds and reorganized it. Cleaned out the fridge.

That was a LIGHT day.

What did YOU do today?
You Did Not! Get out! What would you have done if you weren't on the forum - Prevented civil war in Iraq! and taught the baby level 2 Italian? I did Yoga!
Old 04-09-2006, 12:30 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Why, no, she said at 11:15 at night, as her husband lay snoring in the other room. No, I don't spend too much time on the Forum talking to strangers, and yet ...

And yet I have to keep reminding myself NOT to respond on page 8 of some round-and-round discussion on, say, universal health care. I know myself--I have no new, compelling argument that will settle it once and for all. Even though this is the INTERNET, I allow someone's remarks to make my blood boil. It's not real! I keep telling myself. They are all middle school students! Bored prison inmates! Nigerian Email scammers! Perverts! Lunatics! Welfare Mothers with government-subsidised dial-up connections!

And yet, I find snooping in other peoples' lives so very addictive. I like talking about money, and I have no other outlet for it. People on this board are so very forthcoming. I find it compelling

And so to bed.
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:03 AM   #6

Yes!! Poetry what speaks your soul in our imperfect existence!
Old 04-09-2006, 05:12 AM   #7

Tawny, I believe you've summed it up nicely.

I also mutlitasked yesterday while checking in here but my list isn't as long as CFBs but only because I think of my weekends as a time to relax, oh, and I don't have any hedges to trim or a baby to chase.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:52 AM   #8

Quote:

Today I took down the old glass doors in our spare bathroom because they have a chipped corner the baby could cut himself on, bought and put up a temporary rod and curtain until I get a replacement set of doors and mount them.* Trimmed a bunch of hedges.* Played out in the cul de sac with Gabe and a bunch of other kids for a couple of hours.* Turned and refilled my composter.* Cooked 3 meals for two people and a baby.* Homemade waffles for breakfast, a roast chicken with fixins for lunch and a long simmered brisket mexican barbacoa style for shredded beef taco's ready in time for dinner.* Fed and watered six animals.* Cleaned the kitchen, did 3 loads of laundry and a load of dishes.* Bought and set up a new coffee maker.* Emptied out half of one of our storage sheds and reorganized it.* Cleaned out the fridge.

That was a LIGHT day.

What did YOU do today?*
Whew! You make me tired. Looks like returning to wo*k would be a vacation for you.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:55 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I flick back and forth, but the majority of my time is involved with
Financial Sites.

Less time will be spent here(can you see CFB doing cartwheels) becaus ethe snow is gone , so longer walks with Friends and my Dog, plus i a few weeks the Trout Season opens.

I am less than a 10 minute walk from a Stream, a quiet tributary known mainly by locals.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:16 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Yes!

Of course - isn't it blindingly obvious.

heh heh heh heh heh - also putz waaaay too much with FireCalc and ORP.

Need to get out more with Daylight savings here. Then there are - male hormone stocks.

Step daughter has already bought her MO fishing license - and reminds me a lot lately - hint, hint, nod, nod, wink, wink.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:29 AM   #11

Yes, I spend way too much time here during work hours. It's my way of saying FU to the corporate world that I despise so much.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:45 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes yes.

Today is perfect to spend time here. Greg is driving and I am cruising the internet in the passenger seat. The only bad thing is that I have to read him the posts on the Gold thread.

EDIT: It is fun doing interpretive readings of posts to my driver. UncleMick is the most fun. I have heh heh heh heh down pat.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:50 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Ever feel that you are wasting too much time on the forum, that there are other areas/interests in your life that need more attention.
Yes, but whenever I disconnect and start paying more attention to my spouse, she tells me to go back and spend some time with the nice people on that forum.

But she's very grateful to you guys.

Quote:
Bought and set up a new coffee maker.
So, what did you buy?

I'm perpetually searching for the ultimate machine to make one cup of hot water (or filtered coffee) absolutely silently (at 4 AM) and yet not be impossible to clean out its mineral deposits.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:14 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I always buy the cheapest mr. coffee or braun with an automatic start available, and chuck it after 6-12 months, or when the carafe gets broken (as in this case), whichever comes first. I've taken coffee makers apart after a little under a year and trust me...you wouldnt want something that disgusting in your kitchen, let alone drink stuff from it.

This one was a black and decker, $18 at wal mart. I probably could have gotten it cheaper if I had time to shop around, but the wife dropped the (thankfully empty) carafe mid day yesterday.

I also have some issues with every kitchen device needing to alert homeland security when its done doing its little task. Microwaves, toasters and coffee makers do NOT need to beep 10 times at volume 11 and then periodically remind me with another beep that they're still waiting for me. This one just makes a frickin pot of coffee and then shuts the **** up. Just what I wanted.

I believe the device you're looking for is called a "teapot" with the whistle removed, or a "saucepan". If you want coffee, try an old fashioned perkolator...my dad still swears by his. Or an el cheapo european style coffee press for a couple of bucks.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:18 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Or an el cheapo european style coffee press for a couple of bucks.
Yeah, I was afraid of that. It's hard being on the bleeding edge of technology.

I only hear those noises if I turn on the computer speakers. And if I had a microwave do that (ours is approaching its 20th anniversary and is much better behaved) I'd be performing surgery with a pair of diagonal cutting pliers...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 04-09-2006, 11:31 AM   #16

Yes, I sometimes spend a lot of time on the forum, but

1. it's not taking time away from anything important,
2. it's amusing in a much more active way than TV,
3. I've learned so much,
4. it has saved/made me at least $20,000 maybe more (no exaggeration), and
5. I get some really good laughs (reading my own jokes, I mean).*

Old 04-09-2006, 11:46 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
1. it's not taking time away from anything important,
2. it's amusing in a much more active way than TV,
3. I've learned so much,
4. it has saved/made me at least $20,000 maybe more (no exaggeration), and
5. I get some really good laughs.*
Yeah, me too, and you've said it so much better than I did... except for the part about your jokes!

Old 04-09-2006, 03:35 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought reading stuff on the Internet was all part of "taking responsibility for my own entertainment".

cheers,
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:44 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

CFB does more at home in a day than I do in an entire week.

I'm going to blame it on a 40 hour job, but I know it would be the same even if I was home. I think I'm just lazy. I bet that changes when I have kids.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Personality types aren't about to change, CFB is a hard charger at whatever he does.

I second the cheap coffee maker, had the same $20 one for ten years now, filter holder is beginning to warp (plastic) but still quite usable.

Back to subject, I voted yes, most definitely, I yell at myself sometimes, especially when I should be w*rking. In fact, I pad my day 30 minutes, as in I stay 30 minutes longer, just so I don't feel guilty for my goofing off, and 95% of my goofing off in on this board! Sure, I could make an excuse that I'm just waiting on a call back, or on a conference call, or for a system intrusion test to run, yadda yadda, but I could be doing something actually productive at the time, too.

No problem resisting the board on the weekends, yesterday we all went to the park near our house, then I watched my daughter and her cousin while DW and her cousin (mom of 2 year old I was watching) went to see a cover tribute band to Skinner, known as "Skinnerd's Innerds" :P

The lead singer asked my wife to dance, which she accepted. Then some weird guy who was playing air guitar all night asked her to dance, and she said, "oh, I don't dance." - that's pretty cold, even to do to a weird dude! Meanwhile I had two crying kids to try and jolly, they kept setting each other off. Finally went to bed at 10.

Today I did some sprinkler work and leveled another 20 sq. feet of yard and mended the soil, and put this grass seed/mulch product I love on top, gives you thick lawn in about a month.

The fact that I spend so much more time here during the weekdays says to me I was meant For ER. I have no problem coming up with stuff to do all day.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote