Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Get called "sweetie" surprisingly often. Also get called "young man" (a whole bunch) as in "Let me get that door for you, young man." Never bothers me. Seems to be a pleasant moment. I'm 74 years old.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't particularly like the familiarity but noticed this when I first moved to the south, and just try to take it as a harmless regional thing. In my mind I try to translate it to something that wouldn't bother me.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:04 PM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

In deference to my rank, "Captain" is acceptable. Jeanie prefers "Your Highness".
Old 01-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Why on earth this bothers anyone...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Happens all the time where we live, it is absolutely harmless. I even do it now after so many years of getting used to it. I use the term "Sweetheart" myself, with my British accent it usually solicits a broad smile and sometimes a giggle from the recipient, they sometimes hit back with a big smile and a "Hon" when the opportunity arises. I do not do it to any particular age group, I am an equal opportunity "Sweetheart'er".

The only people who probably would not like it (I would think) are those with some type of a chip, along with LGBT types. But they are usually so obvious, that one would not address them that way anyway, at least I would not.

I think it is a breath of fresh air actually and very friendly. I find it very pleasant.
In regards to classifying LGBT types as so obvious, they are some of the nicest and respectful people I know in Florida. Also a number of the couples are multi millionaires (DINKs). Double income no kids.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:14 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
In regards to classifying LGBT types as so obvious, they are some of the nicest and respectful people I know in Florida. Also a number of the couples are multi millionaires (DINKs). Double income no kids.
Agreed, no disrespect was intended by my comment, purely that I respect their choices and would not want to offend them. But I do find it easy to distinguish them from others, for the most part anyway. Saying that, I do refer to an LGBT good friend of mine as Sweetheart, she does not mind (I asked once). But I would not do so to someone I do not know who is that way inclined.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:21 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Agreed, no disrespect was intended by my comment, purely that I respect their choices and would not want to offend them. But I do find it easy to distinguish them from others, for the most part anyway. Saying that, I do refer to an LGBT good friend of mine as Sweetheart, she does not mind (I asked once). But I would not do so to someone I do not know who is that way inclined.
I’m sure you mean no harm, but how could you know that? I’d suggest you can’t...just as you can’t distinguish a millionaire by looking at them (there was a book...).

It would be easy to disprove your assumption, but think about it...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:22 PM   #28

I always assumed “honey” was waitress for “@$$hole”. They say it with a smile on their face, but they had to come up with something given all the things they have to endure.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
It happens more in the South than anywhere. I have no issue with this and it’s not age related as I think there’s a resurgence of this kind of talk especially in restaurants.
Yep that's true in FLA restaurants by elder female servers.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Why on earth this bothers anyone...
+1

Seriously, when thrown into any sort of radically different environment they must be just as much fun as a barrel of monkeys. I'd urge anyone who is seriously bothered by this (and not just feeling a little nostalgic), to go out and fully experience what the world has to offer.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Now at 60 the waitresses have stopped calling me Mr. Beefcake and started with the StudMuffin.
Very disconcerting....
That cold up North is getting to you.....
Old 01-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #32

You only have to be concerned when people (especially in the South) also tack on "bless your heart."

Old 01-22-2019, 12:31 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I’m sure you mean no harm, but how could you know that? I’d suggest you can’t...just as you can’t distinguish a millionaire by looking at them (there was a book...).

+1 I’d also suggest that you can’t ... people are people
nhcycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:31 PM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I always assumed “honey” was waitress for “@$$hole”. They say it with a smile on their face, but they had to come up with something given all the things they have to endure.
Just like when the frustrated or teed off guest services employee says to the customer “ Have a nice day”
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:44 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I honestly get more annoyed at being told to have a "Blessed" day, also common in the south, I just ignore it for the sake of decency. That is way worse (to me and my DW) than a term of endearment.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:47 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Darlin’ , I have spent most of my life in the South so I am used to it and it does not bother me nor does having anyone hold the door for me.
Saying “ no ma’am/sir” etc is just good manners, IMHO. As my son said, “ it’s just how I was raised”.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:54 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

A local waitress calls me hola. I call her that back.[emoji23]
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:23 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

This is pretty common in Texas and doesn't offend me at all. It is kind of pleasant and endearing to my ear. There have been a couple of ladies, one at a donut shop and the other at megacorp cafeteria, that used it to excess in a given conversation. That came off as strange only because they were interjecting it excessively and at times where it didn't flow naturally.

We are also seeing more instances of using "Mr." or "Ms." in front of the first name of someone we know, outside professional work settings, but truly respect for one reason or another (e.g. Mr. John, or Ms. Linda) 20 years ago I mostly heard this in Louisiana, Mississippi, or deep Southest Texas but it is used mich more within my circles these days a little West of Fort Worth.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

I'm 75, in Texas, and don't look much over early to mid 60's.

Female waitresses usually call me "honey" or "darlin" and the male ones usually call me "sir". I guess this is good. I'm not hot enough to get any phone numbers from the female waitresses so whatever they call me it's just for fun. I'm sure many of them think I could be their grandfather anyway.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
A local waitress calls me hola. I call her that back.[emoji23]
I think she's saying "hello" to you...hola is Spanish for hello.

If you want some responses to her (in Spanish) to make her laugh let me know.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote